Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 670 - Hersheypark Announces "Laff Trakk" for 2015
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: The Hersheypark Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Here's some photos from today's SkyRush Construction Tour. Thanks to Hersheypark, Kathy, and Steve for setting this up and showing us around!

SkyRush is an Intamin Wing Rider Roller Coaster which opens at Hersheypark in 2012!

Onto the photos....
skyrush_01.jpg
As you can see, quite a few supports have now gone up!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_02.jpg
Looks like a bit of track has been installed! Let's check it out...
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_03.jpg
What you are looking at here is the bottom of the first drop. Should be impressive taking that turn at a pretty high speed!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_04.jpg
And another look at the bottom of the first drop.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_05.jpg
The outside seats should get pretty close to the ground!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_06.jpg
Lots of supports have gone up for SkyRush!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_08.jpg
A closer look at the track.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_09.jpg
Should be very interesting the way it interacts with The Comet.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_11.jpg
There will be a new pathway built over here.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_12.jpg
Since there was a bit of flooding yesterday, they have to work around some unexpected water!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_13.jpg
SkyRush supports going up!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_14.jpg
While there is a sea of footers and supports, only the one section of track has been installed so far.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_16.jpg
Another look at the many footers that have been placed so far.
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_17.jpg
We'll have another construction update for you all soon!
Viewed 9298 times
skyrush_10.jpg
Thank you to Steve for showing us around!
Viewed 9298 times
379128_301874753180003_100000724421732_1014822_829046718_n.jpg
Here's the layout of SkyRush, so you can get an idea of what it will be like when it's all done in 2012!
Viewed 9298 times
screen_shot_2011-08-02_at_12.jpg
Looking forward to next spring for SkyRush at Hersheypark!
Viewed 9298 times

Piers' latest smashpiece

Postby Joe Cool » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Awesome update Robb!!! Cannot wait to see more of SkyRush being put up in the next few months.
DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!!!!!!

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for the update. Did you guys hear any plans for the construction schedule, trains, or testing?

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Awsome update!

I'll bet that you now know what restraints this ride will have, but promised not to tell anybody..
Nr 1 Liseberg and Gröna Lund fanboy!
Piraten is *the* roller coaster (after finally riding Expedition Geforce, I'll admit, it was pretty freaking awesome to!) .

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow. Next season is going to be amazing. Really looking forward to seeing this done and hopefully riding next year. Thanks for the tour!

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Fooz wrote:Thanks for the update. Did you guys hear any plans for the construction schedule, trains, or testing?

From what I was told today, the lift will start going up very soon, the trains will be on site by the end of February, and they hope to have the station completed before the trains arrive. The flooding has been a hinderance (more rainfall this year than in the year Hurricane Agnes devastated the area back in the 1970s) but they've adapted nicely. Two giant pipes were buried in the creek banks to divert the creek in the construction area and to not affect nature, and two dams were built between Comet and the far edge of the ride for construction purposes. The dams aren't very high, so any heavy rains will see it break crest and fill up the dry area, but pumps are on site to dry it out for further construction, which usually takes 2-3 days of no rain to do. Luckily they have plenty of places to work this early on that they don't need to divert all their attention to construction at the flooded areas. They're still well on schedule for a Memorial Day weekend opening.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Great photos! Looks like a fantastic addition to Hersheypark as well. I have to say that coaster interaction, esp. contrasting ones (sttel vs. wood, etc.) is one of my favorite experiences on a ride. Looking forward to more updates!
HeadOn! Apply Directly to when you just don''t feel fresh. Side effects may include drowsiness, explosive belching, cosplay, and death. Use only when directed and when you have an outbreak, have a Coke and a smile!

Over obsessive disney disorder

Postby DarkStitch626 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 pm

I am not sure why , I mean I love this ride concept and layout but I see a small thing bothering me.

The Layout is 2 large hills and a few sweeping turns. Pufferfish and I were discussing this earlier. To me the layout, seems like they took Desert Race, cut its launch off, added a lift and drop and called it a day. You get almost the same thing http://rcdb.com/3617.htm?p=19681. Sweeping turns and 2 semi large hills with a 2 hill return run.

The only thing for me with this ride standing out, is the trains. :) Not a bad thing. I am just not as excited for this ride as I use to be.

Proctoligist of Scooby Doo

Postby ScottBrown » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

DarkStitch626 wrote:I am not sure why , I mean I love this ride concept and layout but I see a small thing bothering me.

The Layout is 2 large hills and a few sweeping turns. Pufferfish and I were discussing this earlier. To me the layout, seems like they took Desert Race, cut its launch off, added a lift and drop and called it a day. You get almost the same thing http://rcdb.com/3617.htm?p=19681. Sweeping turns and 2 semi large hills with a 2 hill return run.

The only thing for me with this ride standing out, is the trains. :) Not a bad thing. I am just not as excited for this ride as I use to be.

Keep in mind this coaster will have the topography of the land going for it as well - The environment around a coaster can make a big difference

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 pm

I remember when we saw the first piece of track installed and thinking how tight that turn would be, but I never realized that was the turn IMMEDIATELY after that 200 foot drop. This thing is going to be seriously insane! I'm planning a trip around this for the summer, and can't wait! It's so great that Hersheypark has stuck with Intamin for their last two new coasters, and are continuing with this.

Thanks for the update!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!