TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Here's some photos from today's SkyRush Construction Tour. Thanks to Hersheypark, Kathy, and Steve for setting this up and showing us around!

SkyRush is an Intamin Wing Rider Roller Coaster which opens at Hersheypark in 2012!

Onto the photos....

skyrush_01.thumb.jpg.291dba81888fd8685e65cd1b1a9bb98a.jpg

As you can see, quite a few supports have now gone up!

skyrush_02.thumb.jpg.df942c2910b8f1771b9bda4fba90982c.jpg

Looks like a bit of track has been installed! Let's check it out...

skyrush_03.jpg.4eaa89e4954fa9787733360bdaeea5ca.jpg

What you are looking at here is the bottom of the first drop. Should be impressive taking that turn at a pretty high speed!

skyrush_04.thumb.jpg.5665a18302e57dc92b97cf03a26db4b4.jpg

And another look at the bottom of the first drop.

skyrush_05.thumb.jpg.6b03c286cb082486265fd5fea505cea7.jpg

The outside seats should get pretty close to the ground!

skyrush_06.jpg.c4a526d94c7ca370d215802b397efc4d.jpg

Lots of supports have gone up for SkyRush!

skyrush_08.jpg.41ec635cb9c869ab8400c567cdd2be09.jpg

A closer look at the track.

skyrush_09.thumb.jpg.dc2c03552da166f4df6e8571cbd89d2a.jpg

Should be very interesting the way it interacts with The Comet.

skyrush_11.thumb.jpg.db33bc992d90a4ca62e607c2e017ebf1.jpg

There will be a new pathway built over here.

skyrush_12.thumb.jpg.373447404b731df6eb4a4e9de28b95a4.jpg

Since there was a bit of flooding yesterday, they have to work around some unexpected water!

skyrush_13.thumb.jpg.dd12bd08043123f95bb23ca337d0a04c.jpg

SkyRush supports going up!

skyrush_14.jpg.808d3c95a3ac2b63400f36a49f1d545a.jpg

While there is a sea of footers and supports, only the one section of track has been installed so far.

skyrush_16.thumb.jpg.bd14c4bc7b7b370f1009a61c1629eddf.jpg

Another look at the many footers that have been placed so far.

skyrush_17.thumb.jpg.acb3ff09e2ff30ec90bad2f9ed12ca20.jpg

We'll have another construction update for you all soon!

skyrush_10.thumb.jpg.f4cbcc940ef95d547d8207ee8cf08332.jpg

Thank you to Steve for showing us around!

379128_301874753180003_100000724421732_1014822_829046718_n.jpg.99690a63f04977ddcdbd41c700e8c414.jpg

Here's the layout of SkyRush, so you can get an idea of what it will be like when it's all done in 2012!

screen_shot_2011-08-02_at_12.jpg.66565dc3f1ca3295edc20c5851183aaa.jpg

Looking forward to next spring for SkyRush at Hersheypark!

Thanks for the update. Did you guys hear any plans for the construction schedule, trains, or testing?

From what I was told today, the lift will start going up very soon, the trains will be on site by the end of February, and they hope to have the station completed before the trains arrive. The flooding has been a hinderance (more rainfall this year than in the year Hurricane Agnes devastated the area back in the 1970s) but they've adapted nicely. Two giant pipes were buried in the creek banks to divert the creek in the construction area and to not affect nature, and two dams were built between Comet and the far edge of the ride for construction purposes. The dams aren't very high, so any heavy rains will see it break crest and fill up the dry area, but pumps are on site to dry it out for further construction, which usually takes 2-3 days of no rain to do. Luckily they have plenty of places to work this early on that they don't need to divert all their attention to construction at the flooded areas. They're still well on schedule for a Memorial Day weekend opening.

I am not sure why , I mean I love this ride concept and layout but I see a small thing bothering me.

The Layout is 2 large hills and a few sweeping turns. Pufferfish and I were discussing this earlier. To me the layout, seems like they took Desert Race, cut its launch off, added a lift and drop and called it a day. You get almost the same thing http://rcdb.com/3617.htm?p=19681. Sweeping turns and 2 semi large hills with a 2 hill return run.

The only thing for me with this ride standing out, is the trains. Not a bad thing. I am just not as excited for this ride as I use to be.

I am not sure why , I mean I love this ride concept and layout but I see a small thing bothering me.

The Layout is 2 large hills and a few sweeping turns. Pufferfish and I were discussing this earlier. To me the layout, seems like they took Desert Race, cut its launch off, added a lift and drop and called it a day. You get almost the same thing http://rcdb.com/3617.htm?p=19681. Sweeping turns and 2 semi large hills with a 2 hill return run.

The only thing for me with this ride standing out, is the trains. Not a bad thing. I am just not as excited for this ride as I use to be.

Keep in mind this coaster will have the topography of the land going for it as well - The environment around a coaster can make a big difference

I remember when we saw the first piece of track installed and thinking how tight that turn would be, but I never realized that was the turn IMMEDIATELY after that 200 foot drop. This thing is going to be seriously insane! I'm planning a trip around this for the summer, and can't wait! It's so great that Hersheypark has stuck with Intamin for their last two new coasters, and are continuing with this.

Thanks for the update!

^^^At least this coaster isn't 300ft tall!

That wouldn't have bothered me. Its just for me and yes I KNOW I should be grateful for any coaster we are ever given on this earth. I really do. Its just to me Intamin is losing its touch, just my opinion, where companies like Premier and Zamperla are jumping into the "Big" Leagues and making big boy toys.

^^^At least this coaster isn't 300ft tall!

That wouldn't have bothered me. Its just for me and yes I KNOW I should be grateful for any coaster we are ever given on this earth. I really do. Its just to me Intamin is losing its touch, just my opinion, where companies like Premier and Zamperla are jumping into the "Big" Leagues and making big boy toys.

Huh? This is the same company that just built 305 and Formula Rossa two years ago. And iSpeed the year before that. And just based on that one piece of track alone, I'm already betting that this will be the ride of 2012.

The Layout is 2 large hills and a few sweeping turns. Pufferfish and I were discussing this earlier. To me the layout, seems like they took Desert Race, cut its launch off, added a lift and drop and called it a day. You get almost the same thing. Sweeping turns and 2 semi large hills with a 2 hill return run.

I disagree. Skyrush is going to tear through "the same layout" (it really isn't, but I haven't ridden Desert Race and you probably haven't either, so we can't judge) a tick faster at 70mph (Desert Race is 62mph, or 100km/h).

Tell you what. I'll drive down to Hersheypark and ride Skyrush (my most anticipated roller coaster for next season as well) until I get motion-sick again (probably after the 9th time), while you sit on your chair at home and compare it to Desert Race. We'll see how much fun I have compared to you.

^I agree that it's a bit too early to say that this not-even-half-finished ride shows that Intamin is "losing its touch." Best to just wait and see (I recall similar moaning about I305 when it was being built--hell about nearly every ride when it was being built ).

But I do agree with Sean that it's good to see companies like Zamperla and Zirer starting to make "big" coasters. Healthy competition is a good thing.

Edited by cfc

I disagree. Skyrush is going to tear through "the same layout" (it really isn't, but I haven't ridden Desert Race and you probably haven't either, so we can't judge) a tick faster at 70mph (Desert Race is 62mph, or 100km/h).

I've been on Desert Race, and this doesn't look anything like that ride IMO.

That being said, Desert Race (and Rita), are actually quite fun!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I have always felt it was a tad bit insane to judge a ride you have never ridden. Especially to make a general assumption about a ride manufacturer based on this perceived notion. Sure you can tell where the airtime or the lateral forces will be but you are still not experiencing it. Megalites are a perfect example of this. If no one on TPR had ridden one what would be the overall opinion of them?

@DarkStitch626 I actually agree the track layout is more similar to Rita and Desert Race than an original design ... they were inspiration maybe. This is more an upgrade to that base design.

Skyrush will shock a lot of people next year. A lot of attention is going to other new hyped & bigger projects, but this one is the dark horse.

There's something about Intamin double-spine track that makes me... um... "very happy in a romantic way." That turn does indeed look like it's going to be blistering, especially in the inside wing seat.

Hersheypark is becoming one of the world's most awesome Intamin showcases.

There's something about Intamin double-spine track that makes me... um... "very happy in a romantic way." That turn does indeed look like it's going to be blistering, especially in the inside wing seat.

Hersheypark is becoming one of the world's most awesome Intamin showcases.

There's something about Chocolate parks and their love of a particular manufacturer... Europa has Milka and Mack, Hershey has, well, Hershey and Intamin AG. Not that I'm complaining or anything....

(I'm secretly fantasizing about a terrain Blitz coaster from them as their #4 Intamin....)