SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: SFNO/Southern Star Saga Discussion Thread

Postby Giovanni Bianchi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:13 am

Honestly, I did not ride megazeph till it's third or fourth year. It was not a good coaster. Reprofiling will be great. The alveys enen said, "it is rampy" and it is. Pretty boring. The first drop is the ride.

The problem from the beginning is you need tourist. In it's original form there were shuttles to take you there from your hotel. It just didn't work. People don't go to New Orleans for a Theme park. The area it is in is Afro American and the white people will tell you not to go to the park because you will get shot or stabbed. I have personally been told it and talked to the locals.

To draw out of towners it needs sometrhing BIG to draw people to the city specifically for the park.

If it gets re openened i wish them the best of luck. I will believe it's longevity and success when i see it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Guys! Better Than Ezra is involved. Rest easy.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 pm

^I think they'd find better success with an established band like Led Zeppelin or Moody Blues... That's worked in the past! :lol:

The committee has whittled down the eight proposals to a mere two for consideration in the second round!

The committee tasked with deciding the fate of the abandoned former Six Flags amusement park in eastern New Orleans narrowed the field of proposals from eight to two on Tuesday. The two proposals will advance to a second round that will include in-person interviews and formal presentations.

Based on the results of the meeting, the 150-acre site could become either a green amusement park or an upscale outlet mall.

The former is a $200 million plan from a Houston company called RCS Entertainment. Phase One of the company's plan calls for keeping the park's existing inventory of rides and reopening the space as an amusement park. In a second phase, RCS said it would build out the property to include a water park and hotel. The first phase of development would produce 2,000 jobs, according to the company's proposal

RCS, which is currently developing an amusement park in the Houston area, according to its website, said it envisions its development in New Orleans to be on the order of Busch Gardens.

The second proposal to move on to round two is for a $40 million, 400,000-square-foot upscale outlet mall. That proposal, from DAG Development and Provident Development, also contemplates a second phase that would include a theme park and entertainment district, employing as many as 4,000 upon completion.

The committee seemed impressed with Provident Development's history of retail development and with the prospect that it would bring much-needed retail to eastern New Orleans.

The group plans to meet again in December to hear formal pitches from both parties.

The six proposals rejected are:
  • An eco park proposed by the Al Philips business coalition.
  • A theme park, resort and soundstage proposed by La Heritage Resort.
  • An electric power plant proposed by PackAert LLC.
  • A back lot for the film industry and a theme park proposed by The Paidia Company.
  • An adventure and water park proposed by JWM Ventures.
  • A theme park with country-themed lands proposed by Powell Commodity.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby O-Town77 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 pm

I guess this committee lives by the rule:

"If at first you don't succeed, let's waste another 200 million building almost the exact same thing as Six Flags."

Considering the location, I can't believe they rejected the power plant.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm

So it sounds like that it won't matter which one gets chosen, there will be a theme park in the plans. Sounds cool and I have a SLIGHT more confidence that it might happen with Danny out of the works.

Speaking of Danny, I wonder what he's doing these days? :roll:

Postby O-Town77 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Ccron10 wrote:So it sounds like that it won't matter which one gets chosen, there will be a theme park in the plans. Sounds cool and I have a SLIGHT more confidence that it might happen with Danny out of the works.

Speaking of Danny, I wonder what he's doing these days? :roll:

I think Danny was washing my car at McDonald's last week.
They were raising money for the Southern Star Pep Club.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:53 pm

An upscale outlet mall in that location? I invite city officials to go check out Watermark Place in Bessemer, AL and then travel down I-459 to see where almost all of the formers stores have moved to.

Postby O-Town77 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 pm

CoasterGuy06 wrote:An upscale outlet mall in that location? I invite city officials to go check out Watermark Place in Bessemer, AL and then travel down I-459 to see where almost all of the formers stores have moved to.

No doubt.

That location really doomed Jazzland / SFNO. Do they really think a mall is going to help? Have they ever googled "Dead Mall" before?
I've already seen Malls with much better locations already fail..... Plus, New Orleans isn't exactly know for its affluent demographics and
now has a far smaller population than before Katrina.

I really hope someone crunches the numbers in a serious manner before they dump more money into this thing.
If they do build it -- I'd love to get some credits before they under. I didn't move fast enough to get my credits
at Wild West World.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby jps294 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 pm

The Paidia Company (One of the six company's that didn't make the cut) spoke out on their website!

11-29-11: A news article just posted at the Times-Picayune indicates that only two proposals will be considered. We do not feel that either is a viable option for the property, however, it is not our decision to make. The first, an outlet mall, was put forward by one of the two developer participants of the walk-thru. While they do indeed have a strong record, it does not appear to be the best use of the property given the amount of vacant retail space in the area coupled with an outlet mall just north of the site in Slidell. The second proposal to move forward, an amusement park proposed by a Houston developer who did not attend the walk-thru, seems to have an excessive budget that is difficult to rationalize. Again, however, it is not our decision to make. While this site may not serve any continued purpose at this time, we will let it remain active so that you may see what the park "could" have been.

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/home.html

I don't think the city wants a theme park IMO!
Reside in Austin Texas but attend Mississippi State University during the school year! #HAILSTATE
Coaster Count: 53 (45 Steel, 8 Wood)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:20 pm

People have to live in a town in order to support retail. La has two outlet malls already and one about an hour from the old SF's site. I'd be curious to see current numbers of how many displaced individuals have rebuilt and returned to New Orleans. Regardless, from a tourists prospective, I'd rather have seen a themepark/waterpark/backlot with tour, or some sort of mixed use boardwalk style park and shopping. Oh well, it is La afterall.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!