SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Starbucks Enthusiast

Re: SFNO/Southern Star Saga Discussion Thread

Postby gisco » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:34 am

It is like they keep bringing up the park in the news in hopes that someone will step forward with money to operate it. Not going to happen, not a good investment.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby eddytheviper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 am

Oh dear, not nice to see a park being abandoned in front of your eyes... :(

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby IStillPlayRCT2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 am

The City Of New Orleans opened up bidding in April of this year for redevelopment of SFNO. They had a meeting yesterday to review the 8 bidder proposals. Here's the eight proposals:

Louisiana Heritage Resort BP: 200-plus-acre resort with nine "theme lands" and 20 acres of sound stages.
RCS Entertainment Inc.: Crescent City Amusement Park, a green amusement park.
Dag Development and Provident: outlet mall with a boardwalk entertainment district.
Packaert LLC: electric power generation plant.
The Paida Company: water park and back lot for the film industry.
JWM Ventures: resort with theme park, water park and sports complex.
Powell Commodity Inc.: commercial retail and family entertainment venue with theme park.
A business coalition led by Al Philips: eco park focusing on green usages of water and green construction.

There will be another meeting next week to narrow it down to five. The criteria for selection is in the article.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2011/11/new_orleans_looks_at_8_proposa.html

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:40 pm

One of the companies which submitted a proposal to New Orleans regarding the possible use of the Jazzland site has launched a website giving details on their intentions if awarded the contract. Surprisingly, they want to throw the park back to a time when it was Jazzland, with some modern updates in the mix!

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/home.html

The City of New Orleans issued an RFP for redevelopment proposals for the former Jazzland/Six Flags property. The deadline for those proposals was October 31, 2011. The Paidia Company submitted a proposal to re-open the park as a true celebration of Louisiana by connecting the dots of community, history, identity, and artistry in a living testimonial to our spirit and pride. Additionally, we propose to add a water park and movie back lot to the site.

This website is still a work-in-progress. The map section, in particular, is still being updated. We appreciate your patience as more information is added daily.

Ya'll come on inside and look around and see what adventures await your exploration in our celebration of Louisiana.

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/proposal.html

While our proposal includes several changes to the existing site, it is still in the conceptual stage. Plans will only be finalized after we have had the opportunity to conduct community meetings so that we can get citizen comments and feedback regarding the proposed plans. Engineering studies regarding the structural integrity of the structures must also be conducted. In the current conceptual plan, the park's footprint would be expanded slightly. The new water park would be constructed adjacent to the park, with the film back lot at the opposite end of the available acreage. This is illustrated on the park map that can be accessed via the link at the top of this page.

Why the name Jazzland? In addition to being the right name for the theme, let's face it ... this is Louisiana. No matter what name we would put out on the sign, everybody would still call it 'Jazzland', so why fight it? Jazzland will be returned to its roots, a celebration Louisiana. Our intentions are to infuse the park with art, music and cultural elements that highlight our rich heritage. The park will utilize some of the existing elements, while adding others. The park will be divided into four areas:
"The Quarter" -- focuses on our history
"The Bayou" -- focuses on our diverse cultures
"The Beach" -- focuses on our enjoyment of life
"Sportsman's Paradise" -- focuses on our love of the outdoors

Each area will include a selection of attractions that should appeal to the entire family group. We also are dedicated to having the site serve as a real asset to the community. In addition to the economic impact it should have to the area and the jobs created, we plan on working with area schools and foundations to help inspire youth by exposing them to new career opportunities and to help show them the potential their lives can have. More information on our community involvement plans is available on our Community page.

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/beach.html

The MegaZeph coaster has been an iconic ride at the park since it opened. A hybrid wood and steel structure, its original design was inspired by the Zephyr coaster at the historic Pontchartrain Beach amusement park. The ride was originally designed by the now defunct Custom Coasters International (CCI). The structure is a key component of the park's skyline. While it will take a significant capital investment, due to the hybrid nature of the structure, the ride is restorable. We plan to utilize The Gravity Group for the restoration. The Gravity Group has on its staff former CCI engineers that were involved with the original MegaZeph design and construction.

Utilizing The Gravity Group's expertise, a survey and complete engineering assessment of the structure will be conducted. Once the survey is complete, in addition to any required structural repairs, adjustments may be made to the ride's profile and banking to ensure the smoothest ride possible. Inspired by the original Zephyr, we also plan on adding a tunnel to a section of the track. Once the structure has been returned to safe operating condition, new Timberliner trains with audio capability from Gravity Kraft will be installed.

Finalizing the renovation will be the addition of a soundtrack. Better Than Ezra (BTE) will potentially be supplying the music, turning MegaZeph into the "King of New Orleans". BTE's passion for music, and love for the city they call home, New Orleans, is a perfect match for the iconic coaster. Theme elements specific to BTE may also be added to the attraction.

These are just some of the highlights of the larger website which has a more detailed rundown on their plans for the park if given the chance. Make sure to check out the proposed park's website for more information--we'll be watching out for more news as it comes!
logosm.gif
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Well, it sounds good at least, but please forgive me if I don't get overly excited just yet.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 pm

^I'm a lot more optimistic about this than I was about the attempt from Southern Star. I hope this works out.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:43 pm

It is easy to have plans and ideas but do they have the money to back it up?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Holding breath starting now....

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 pm

^ NO!!!We don't want you to die

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby bigboy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 pm

That proposal is Southern Star sans Danny Rodgers, which means there's probably not a dime backing it up. Take a look at the About Us page. Two of those people were associated with Southern Star.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!