Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 161: DisneySEA expansion: Frozen, Tangled, Peter Pan
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: 2011 Sendai Earthquake / Tokyo Disneyland Flooding

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 am

Bumping this thread back from the dead because Cirque has announced that the Viva Elvis show @ ARIA will be closing in January to incorporate elements from ZED.

As a result of the recent tragedies in Japan, Cirque du Soleil has had to make a difficult decision to close its permanent show ZED by the end of this year. But in making that difficult decision an opportunity presented itself to enhance Viva Elvis. ZED features some of the most impressive acrobatic acts ever presented on stage and we truly wish to continue bringing these performances to our audience.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby matt_g » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 am

This is quite sad - several of us went to see it during the Tokyo tour and it was absolutely spectacular. I also saw Kooza (a CDS touring show that happened to be in Tokyo while we were there) and it wasn't nearly so impressive as Zed.

I struggle to believe it's because of the earthquake. Tokyo Disneyland was absolutely heaving (60 minute line for Philharmagic) but the show had plenty of empty seats. The ticket prices for Zed were insanely high though - I think my seat was 14,000 yen, and for that price you can buy a 3-day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby VGplay » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Sunday not only marked 9/11 for the US, but also six months since the earthquake in Japan. If anyone was curious about the cleanup and recovery efforts in the more effected northern portions of the country, I came across this great series of pictures that I think speak for themselves: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/japan-earthquake-six-months-later/100146/.

There's still a lot of work to do, but what they have accomplished is absolutely amazing yet somehow unsurprising.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Those were some pretty awesome before/after photos.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Gotta love Japan.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Every before and after picture I have seen of an event in the States is a before-the-destruction and after. NEVER of our cleanup efforts.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

NEWS: Tokyo Dineyland to get Star Tours 2.0

Postby larrygator » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

It is being reported that Tokyo Disneyland's Star Tours will be upgraded to Star Tours 2.0 in a similar fashion to the Orlando and Anaheim versions. Ride is expected to be closed from April 2012 to Spring 2013.

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/11/20111116_02e.pdf

Tokyo Disneyland Attraction
Star Tours to be Reintroduced in a New Version!
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Opening Spring 2013

URAYASU, CHIBA— Tokyo Disneyland® Park announced that its attraction Star Tours in Tomorrowland will be revamped, reopening with the new title, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. The new version of the attraction will open in spring 2013.

The current Star Tours is an immersive motion-based adventure that lets guests experience the thrills of space travel in the world of the Star Wars film series. The attraction opened at Tokyo Disneyland in 1989, and now after more than 20 years, it still remains popular among guests of all ages.

The main feature of the revamped attraction is that guests can enjoy the thrills of a new and unpredictable experience with every ride. The ride is comprised of several scenes, each with multiple scenarios for each scene that are selected at random. This means that guests never know what they will encounter out of the more than 50 possible story combinations for every ride. The attraction will also feature 3-D images for the first time, allowing guests to feel like they’ve truly entered into the world of the Star Wars film series.

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue promises manifold fun and thrills for guests of all ages – for fans of the Star Wars series as well as those unfamiliar with the film.

The attraction will create a whole new world of excitement in space travel at Tokyo Disneyland.

Attraction Facts
Opening date: Spring 2013
Duration: About 4 minutes 30 seconds
Capacity: 40 seats per cabin
Number of cabins: 6 cabins
Investment:About 7 billion yen

Note: In preparation for this renewal, Star Tours will close as of April 2, 2012.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Open Up Happiness

Re: NEWS: Tokyo Dineyland to get Star Tours 2.0

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Knowing how much of an eye for detail Tokyo Disneyland has in their investments, I'm very excited to see what they do with this version of the attraction!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I love Yen. "7 billion." lol

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm

This is a good move for Tokyo, and hopefully Paris will eventually follow. I think the original Star Tours is at the point where it either needs to get upgraded to the new version, or just completely torn out and replaced with a new attraction. The "old and busted" Star Tours just doesn't look good by today's standards, and really didn't fit into the Disney parks anymore IMO.

This will be good for Tokyo's Tomorrowland. The Star Tours building there is HUGE and is a prominent building in the area, so it'll be good to see it house a quality attraction.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!