TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow...that's too bad about Log Jammer. I thought it was a solid, fun family flume...but then again I was also a fan of White Water Landing at CP before it was removed. I like Maverick better though and also like STR even though it doesn't quite have the charm that WWL had.

I just found out about the closing of Log Jammer. As someone who has been going to Magic Mountain since the early 70s and has many fond memories of going on the Log Jammer (one of the few remaining original attractions), this is really sad news.

While Jet Stream is also an original attraction, Log Jammer is a much better ride (and very scenic too).

Really wish Six Flags would have at least given more notice to the public before closing this classic ride.

Something really good better go in its place...

IMO Log Jammer was by far the best non-themed log flume, at least out of the ones ive been on. Just how it was built on the hillside with two large drops and a long overall length. I really wish that I would have gotten one last ride on it but oh well. I sure am excited for what they might possibly have in store for that area.

MiceChat.com | The Happiest Place in Cyberspace...

We just received the following statement from Six Flags Magic Mountain regarding the closure of Log Jammer:

"Log Jammer is being removed for future park expansion. SFMM is always evolving, not one to rest on its laurels. We are sad to see Log Jammer leave, but we are excited about the future plans for the area and know our guests will be too."

Check this Friday's In The Parks for a complete tribute of this classic attraction.

hmmmmm

I really loved log jammer. I thought it was by far the best water ride at SFMM. It was such a neat log flume, and I love how it hugged the terrain so nicely. It is a shame to see it leave, but I bet SFMM will put this valuable space to good use in the near future. Also, I had all but forgotten about the drop tower being put on the side of Superman, so I am really excited about that!

Jet Stream is no Log Jammer. LJ was the best pure flume I've experienced, very scenic with a quality finale. It was also one of the final original remnants of what was once a charming family park. Other than Goldrusher, what's left? I'm not counting Jet Stream.

That makes it two major attractions down this year, for an announced net gain of one low capacity extreme thrill next year. If the park leaves these plots vacant, or worse, allows a defunct Log Jammer to sit and rot, well, if it isn't a return to the bad old days it's close. Too much of the park infrastructure is in disrepair. Of all the Six Flags parks I've visited, this is the shabbiest.

Gotham's rebirth for Green Lantern was an encouraging start. I hope we will see similar rehab work where it is desperately needed, particularly in the back of the park and on top of the mountain.

Too much of the park infrastructure is in disrepair. Of all the Six Flags parks I've visited, this is the shabbiest.

Gotham's rebirth for Green Lantern was an encouraging start. I hope we will see similar rehab work where it is desperately needed, particularly in the back of the park and on top of the mountain.

QFT...

We just received the following statement from Six Flags Magic Mountain regarding the closure of Log Jammer:

"Log Jammer is being removed for future park expansion. SFMM is always evolving, not one to rest on its laurels. We are sad to see Log Jammer leave, but we are excited about the future plans for the area and know our guests will be too."

Check this Friday's In The Parks for a complete tribute of this classic attraction.

If better not be another out-of-place DC themed attraction.

Wish the park would have announced this rides closure, hell, they did it with Deja Vu. Don't know why they couldn't have done the same for the Log Jammer. I was going to ride this on my last trip, sadly, it was closed the last time I was at the park and never got a chance to get my last ride.

Good bye Log Jammer, you will be missed.

Special thanks to Sir Clinksalot for the photos, especially the front shot of the logs that say "Magic Mountain." Remember when they used to actually make the effort and the letters on the front of the log used to be white? Ah, those were the days. It's too bad you can't just pause life and stay in special moments as long as you desire.

^ Exactly. Let's flash back a few years when everyone FREAKED OUT about Cedar Point removing their Log Flume. Then came Maverick. Show me one person who would rather have an antiquated old log flume over Maverick and I'll show you someone that needs to find a new hobby.

If better not be another out-of-place DC themed attraction.

LOL Bizzari much?

I still think an Intamin blitz or a Stormrunner type accelerator would be a perfect fit for the park.

I believe strongly that we will see an Intamin Blitz in the next couple years! If we do one day get one I hope they build it over the lake used for Log Jammer, that would be AMAZING! Crossing my fingers for a full circuit Intamin in SFMM near future!

^ Exactly. Let's flash back a few years when everyone FREAKED OUT about Cedar Point removing their Log Flume. Then came Maverick. Show me one person who would rather have an antiquated old log flume over Maverick and I'll show you someone that needs to find a new hobby.

Word!!

And Maverick was on essentially flat land. Seeing that Log Jammer took up a large chunk of the hillside, I'm thinking whatever goes back in there will utilize the terrain to a very high degree. Boulder Dash did it, and that coaster has awesome reviews. Not saying the next ride will be a Boulder Dash, but something big could be in the works.

^^Probably to take some burden off Log Jammer. Remember, the temp can exceed 100ºF during the day, so water rides were a really easy and accessible way to cool off. During the first season, only Log Jammer was open; you can imagine how bad the lines would be for that on a hot day. Anyways, adding Jet Stream gave the park a new water ride to ease the load on Log Jammer and keep guests happy (and cool).

^

Edited by MayTheGForceBeWithYou

^Same. I really thought it was a strong flume. Though again, I'm gonna sound like a broken record for saying this repeatedly; Log Jammers closure leaves that whole hillside vacant. Imagine what SFMM could do with that space!

Cedar Point did it not once, but twice, and did a good job with refilling that space. Mill Race was retired for Raptor in 1993, and White Water Landing got the axe for Maverick in 2005.