TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I'm pretty excited about this, could someone who has ridden Extremis explain how it rides, is it just a single drop?

Just a single drop. As I said a few post ago, you get raised up, there are animatronic Judges who pass sentence on you and then you drop as if you're on the gallows. Ride over.

The Extremis tower at London does pack quite a punch. It's quite a big model and is always full. The release mechanism is quick and clean, so combined with the weight, the drop is quite captivating.

I don't expect this ride to be Extremis clones, though.

^If the ride system is similar to Extremis, I'd imagine it'll relatively high capacity and pack quite a punch. Extremis looks pretty screwed up (in a good way) from the videos I've seen.

I don't think it'll be a clone, but seeing as both attractions are Merlin ventures I would not be surprised if they borrowed elements from Extremis for Nemisis: Beneath.

The Extremis tower at London does pack quite a punch. It's quite a big model and is always full. The release mechanism is quick and clean, so combined with the weight, the drop is quite captivating.

The ride is always full at the London Dungeons because of they way the attraction is operated with the groups passing through. There is even on quiet days enough people in one group to fill the ride up 2 times before the next batch of people arrive. Im sure on very quiet days the ride might not fill up completely but you never know. The more pressing question for me is will the quality and style of theming manage to blend in with Nemesis almost seamlessly.

I think matching the style of the ride and the story of Nemesis will be the biggest challenge for the park. If they cant match it up to Nemesis or the original story people will feel like something is a bit off and it will just be all weird. Also has the idea be thrown around they may do some work around Forbidden Valley over the closed season to coincide with this new ride?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this really will go back to the original Nemesis story...

Drawings taken from the Nemesis comic. The Nemesis comic was available to buy as promotional merchandise at Alton Towers back when the ride was launched.

http://towersnerd.com/history/nemesiscomic/

14nn0d0.thumb.jpg.a7e2daf3c3b3b762e68be1221bdb5dcf.jpg

A military vehicle has been placed next to the construction site...

d3ec8b6954fe45ffa58fd3d.png.0b5f77157acf5f49ca5f590c35953623.png

...that looks remarkably similar to this from the comic released at the time of Nemesis' launch.

2011-10-19_151758.jpg.a7aef85cb5eeedd0783f477a459f1fdc.jpg

The tent's banner also has a little nod to the past...

ea59e2f1039d42ef9af5237.png.252f64c5025075787c4ebaafc2cc66b5.png

...with the logo of The Phalanx.

Merlin secures deal with Fox for Ice Age ride

Merlin Entertainments has teamed up with 20th Century Fox with the view of launching a 4D attraction based on the popular Ice Age movie franchise.

Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs - The 4-D Experience will debut at two Merlin parks in March 2012 - Alton Towers in the UK and Gardaland in Italy.

Designed and supplied by SimEx-Iwerks, the immersive attraction will combine 3D film footage from the third movie in the franchise, with an array of synchronized physical effects.

Upon exiting the 4D experience, guests will find themselves in an Ice Age-themed area where they can meet their favorite costume characters, as well as purchase branded merchandise.

Along with the new 4D attractions and gift shop, Alton Towers Resort will also feature two interactive Ice Age-themed bedrooms inside the theme park's Splash Landings Hotel.

Source: http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=287553&site=AM&dom=N

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^That seems to be a very large, yet deep pit which to me does not appear to be a footer or a normal trench for coaster track, due to the fact that it's perfectly square and a couple dozen yards long on each side. Obviously I don't have access to the plans, but the first thing that is coming to mind is an underground drop tower.

^^That seems to be a very large, yet deep pit which to me does not appear to be a footer or a normal trench for coaster track, due to the fact that it's perfectly square and a couple dozen yards long on each side. Obviously I don't have access to the plans, but the first thing that is coming to mind is an underground drop tower.

That's exactly what it will be, yes.

This was linked from Screamscape yesterday: http://airgates.co.uk/2011/12/23/new-secret-weapon-coaster-rumoured-for-x-sector/

Maybe someone who is more familiar than the park can clear this up for me, but is this where we're really thinking the new coaster is going to go? I thought the X-Sector area of the park was where they keep having problems with neighbor complaints, it seems odd to add another major coaster in that area. What happened to this replacing the log flume?

If it's true that the coaster is going in this spot then I like it. I think that area of the park needs a facelift and a new attraction. I can see a lot of cool storylines for a sinister military launched coaster.

Rumours never really pointed to the black hole until this new planning application came into effect. This may not necessarily relate to the sw7 project as there is no mention of it on the application so far. This would, however mean that there would be another coaster that is not a secret weapon being built in the black hole area. This seems very unlikely and as such, indicates strongly that this is for the new sw7.

It does seem strange to put something there as it is really close to the Ropers house, which are the couple that complain all the time. Especially seeing as the tent was an enclosed space which didn't require planning consent. So unless it's some super quite coaster, or they create a bigger building to house the coaster in, I can't see them getting very far with it.

I agree, this would be a great addition to that area, as it seems to be lacking and is in some need of more/better rides. But I would have also have been happy with it being in the flumes place, but again that would have had its problems with the protected trees there. That poster found a while ago hinting that the it was going in the flumes place was probably a decoy as I've heard elsewhere that the flume is merely being rethemed.

Hopefully we will find out more when the planning portal release the planning documents and we can make more sense of it.

We have a trailer!

Article from LA Times:

Nemesis: Sub-Terra ride set to open in 2012 at Britain's Alton Towers

January 01, 2012|By Brady MacDonald | Los Angeles Times staff writer

A new indoor dark ride debuting in 2012 at Britain's Alton Towers theme park promises to be a psychologically terrifying and physically thrilling experience set in the secret underground catacomb of an alien creature.

Dubbed Nemesis: Sub-Terra, the new ride is based on the original back-story for the 1994 Nemesis inverted roller coaster that travels over a river of blood. The Nemesis legend tells of a brooding and unpredictable extraterrestrial discovered during an excavation and worshipped by a cult.

Edited by larrygator