Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby montezooma » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm

CorkscrewFoley wrote:Shane, do you think maybe Stealth wasn't a success because of all the mechanical issues they had?

It wasn’t necessarily a flop although there were many mechanical issues. The public liked it but capacity was horrible and it was a very expensive piece of equipment and it was decided that PGA just wasn’t a big enough park to justify the cost. The GP liked the ride but the return on the investment was not the same as going after the family market.

PKI and PKD did not have a contract for two other coasters but Paramount did own the rights to the ride for an extended time. With all the problems of Stealth they decided not to continue with the exclusive contract and that is why Six Flags was able to buy the “off the shelf” rides and get them installed so quickly.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby montezooma » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Well it has been a long waterpark season and I am taking a few days off to treat myself to Kings Island, HolidayWorld and Cedar Point this weekend, those of you that will be at any of those parks keep an eye out for me and say hi. See you at the parks or back here on Monday when we will take a look at the Morgan Hyper/Elevator coaster that was slated for PGA.

Shane
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm

As much as I'll be looking forward to what we could have seen, I will probably also be bummed as it seems that GA is home to the 'vapor coasters,' or rides that never made it. At this point, I have a feeling the GCI coaster may belong to the list.

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:14 am

The pictures of the 'Concept Corkscrew' are definitely pretty neat. It looks like Arrow did quite a bit of testing before releasing their rides to the public. The CGA 'Park Entrance' looked like a good concept as well.

I've wondered for a while what Hypersonic XLC would've been like at CGA and how they would've managed it. And now that I've learned that CGA had plans for other thrill rides, it seems like the park was pretty close to being a completely different place than it is today!

I'm excited to see that hyper-coaster concept and learn more about the CGA! :b
Doesn't know how to spell 'Enthusiast'... or 'Hyundai'.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:18 am

I'd Love to see some Six Flags Great America Concept Artwork, If there is any that is
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Boxy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for sharing your "attic", great stuff! I thought you might be interested to know that I have a promotional VHS tape from Arrow Dynamics - you may already have it? It showcases around 12 of their coasters (from memory (since I havent watched it in a long time as I dont have a VHS player) it shows Drachen Fire, Big Bad Wolf, Loch Ness, Gemini, Shockwave, Great American Scream Machine, Magnum XL200, Adventure Express, Vortex, Anaconda, The Ninja, The Steel Phantom, etc). It was given to me when I was around 13yo on a visit to a roller coaster manufacturer here in Melbourne, Australia. I've also got heaps of other Arrow Dynamix brochures too (like the "we've been around" one you have).

I'm happy to get more info for you if you're interested?

Cheers,

Evan

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Great America's long, lost Morgan Hyper Coaster

I know a lot of you have heard the rumors about a elevator lift coaster that was to be built at Great America. Well those rumors were true. As the creative director for the park during the development phases of this ride I am thrilled to be able to share with you the concepts, ideas, and actual drawings of the ride. It was initially pitched with a generic theme and given the name "Speed Coaster"...I know, not to great of a name but the concept and theme of the story would have been awesome. It was then directed to us that it must tie to a Paramount property so the first concept was trashed. Keep in mind the properties that were big at the time were "War of the Worlds" a Brady Bunch sequal, Frasier and Beavis and Butthead. This post will give you an insight as to how concepts were created, pitched and eventually test marketed. In the end it came down to the city of Santa Clara and unfortunately they took the side of those pesky dot com neighbors.

Here is the PGA Elevator Morgan Hyper Coaster that never was.
teaser speed 1.jpg
speed1.jpg
speed2.jpg
speed3.jpg
speed4.jpg
speed5.jpg
speed6.jpg
speed7.jpg
speed8.jpg
speed9.jpg
speed10.jpg
speed11.jpg
speed12.jpg
hyper8.jpg
hyper 1.jpg
hyper10.jpg
hyper 2.jpg
hyper 7.jpg
hyper 3.jpg
hyper 4.jpg
hyper 5.jpg
Hyper 6.jpg
PGA site plan 1.jpg
PGA Hyper Plant.jpg
PGA Morgan Site Plan.jpg
PGA Hyper Height.jpg
PGA Morgan.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm

That's the craziest/coolest thing/batch of photos I've ever seen.

So what time period are we talking here? A hyper-sized elevator would have been HUGE as far as coaster technology goes!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:That's the craziest/coolest thing/batch of photos I've ever seen.

So what time period are we talking here? A hyper-sized elevator would have been HUGE as far as coaster technology goes!

One of the drawings states "1998 Rollercoaster" So it certainly would have shaken up the coaster industry at that point!
Andrew

Not sure when next trip is, however May/June 2013 - Canada Baby!!!!!

Random Ranter

Postby kenshinmac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:49 pm

That looks like it would have been an impressive ride. I'm still curious about what size the train would have been if it was an elevator style lift. It just seems like it could have been enormously heavy and seems like the elevator could be slow to cycle.

How many ride concepts get developed to this extent and then shelved? Is this fairly common or quite rare?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!