TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Anyone think that Starlight Spectacular will return in 2012?

I think they will put it back. It makes the park loads of money by making guests stay to the end of the day. I still have never seen it and probably never will since I only stay til 4-6pm every time I visit.

Anyone think that Starlight Spectacular will return in 2012?

Definitely! As mentioned, it gets people staying until the end of the day. There's also the fact that there's so many people involved, it would be a shame to throw out all of that hard work after just one season. I find it kind of funny that the show was pulled off much better than what Paramount did with Stunt Spectacular that cost 6 times more, if I remember correctly...

While we're talking about Starlight, I was thinking the other day about how they could use some of those lasers and lights from Haunt to add even more to the show. My favourite part of the show was the ending with all of the trees flashing, it would be cool to have lasers and spotlights flying all around you too.

To 1pizza14: If you have never seen it than search it up on Youtube. In my opinion it actually kind of looks better on youtube.

To asimowalk: I totally agree, I could see lasers everywhere!!! But thats where CW has to take into consideration with people with medical issues (epileptic). Also, here is me going into Fantasyland... but what would make the show so amazing would be if the show was not just on International Street... but the whole park!!!!!

While we're talking about Starlight, I was thinking the other day about how they could use some of those lasers and lights from Haunt to add even more to the show. My favourite part of the show was the ending with all of the trees flashing, it would be cool to have lasers and spotlights flying all around you too.

I noticed the projectors are still up, so perhaps maybe they have something in mind for the Haunt they haven't or won't announce.

^ I'm kind of expecting something to be up for Haunt since they could put something on the mountain for the duration of the night. It's about time they did something different from that random spotlight anyway.

Speaking of Haunt now, I just noticed they're trying out the Fright Lane thing. Judging by the size and types of crowds, I can't really see this system going very well unless they have security operating it. I won't be attending Haunt (I'll be lucky to get a regular visit in before the season's over) but I'm interested to hear if their line organization has improved. Without the fastpass system, it was already a disaster.

Canada's Wonderland owns all the equipment that was required to run Starlight Spectacular. Expect to see some sort of projection for Haunt and a return of Starlight Spectacular in 2012. Obviously there's still a cost to design a new show however after you've purchased all the expensive equipment, you might as well keep kicking a bit of extra cash each season to keep it going.

Canada's Wonderland owns all the equipment that was required to run Starlight Spectacular. Expect to see some sort of projection for Haunt and a return of Starlight Spectacular in 2012. Obviously there's still a cost to design a new show however after you've purchased all the expensive equipment, you might as well keep kicking a bit of extra cash each season to keep it going.

Well, if indeed CW does own the projectors...if they got rid of the show I don't see what they could use the 4 projectors. After all, they are brand new and I wouldn't see the point of not using them. After all they spent probably quite a bit of money for them so they should put them to go use.

Sorry to double post, just thought I'd share this info:

As of last week, Norm Pirtovshek has taken over as General Manager of Canada's Wonderland. He's the former VP of Maintenance and Construction.

Raffi Kaprelyan left Canada's Wonderland to return to Knott's Berry Farm as the General Manager after Marty Keithley resigned from the company to pursue other interests.

Behemoth, Drop Tower and Windseeker were all down today because of....wait for it...wind. It was pretty windy mind you, and for something like Windseeker, despite it's name, I could see the problem. They managed to get some testing in on Windseeker but wasn't open when I left. Behemoth had a train at the top of the lift and it sat there all day.

I also noticed CW was selling "Fright Lane" tickets for front of the line access for all haunt mazes. They were like 20 bucks.

Behemoth, Drop Tower and Windseeker were all down today because of....wait for it...wind. It was pretty windy mind you, and for something like Windseeker, despite it's name, I could see the problem. They managed to get some testing in on Windseeker but wasn't open when I left.

I thought the whole reason Cedar Fair went with Windseekers as opposed to Starflyers was because Windseekers could run in higher wind speeds.

^ Who knows, maybe the wind limit for the StarFlyers are even lower. There's still other positives for the Windseekers. Better capacity, a company they've already have connections to (because of Wonderland), taller, etc.

As for Behemoth, from what I remember hearing a couple years ago, it apparently refuses to dispatch (in auto mode) once the wind speeds at the top of the lift past a certain point. They probably had a train going up the lift as the wind was gusting so it stopped in fears of valleying.

In other news, it looks like they're using the Starlight projectors for the entire night. From what I can tell from the following video, there's different scenes like a thunderstorm (similar to the beginning of the dragon scene), a spotlight, and some worms or something crawling around. Skip to around 1:57... Ignore the winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6GXCHtPY8Y

For anyone going to Haunt, please get a better video of the mountain!

Edited by asimowalk

^That was probably the idea, but I think capacity had more to do with it.

I think the only reason it doesn't run in high winds is because the pods are so much closer together than conventional star-flyers... therefore it is easier for pods to collide.

Behemoth, Drop Tower and Windseeker were all down today because of....wait for it...wind. It was pretty windy mind you, and for something like Windseeker, despite it's name, I could see the problem. They managed to get some testing in on Windseeker but wasn't open when I left. Behemoth had a train at the top of the lift and it sat there all day.

A friend of mine was at the park today. He texted me saying that Behemoth had vallied, and that they were in the process of removing the train with a crane.

Canada's Wonderland Haunt stuff can be found here:

http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2209&start=105

As for Wonder Mountain, the projectors are used to display a few different "scenes". Overall, they're used to create a lightning effect on the mountain. There's also a blueish shadow effect, a moving spotlight and also a large jack-o-lantern face. There may be more but those are the few I've seen thus far.

And a quick Leviathan construction update can be found here:

http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2222&start=150