TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Cars are gone, their being shipped to other parks.

Where did the 3000 ft number come from?

LA Times article that got leaked early.

LINK

Six Flags unveiled its 2012 lineup of new roller coasters, thrill rides, water slides and live shows at the amusement park chain's 12 North American locations.

New Six Flags President and Chief Executive Jim Reid-Anderson said a full slate of new additions would become an annual event, promising to add a new attraction at "every Six Flags park every year."

Six Flags' 2012 attractions include two new roller coasters, two relocated coasters, three tower rides, three water slide complexes and at least one show.

Among the highlights:

Six Flags Great America (outside Chicago) – Billed as the only wing coaster in the United States, X-Flight by Bolliger & Mabillard will feature barrel rolls and high-speed drops with seats that straddle the 3,000-foot-long track.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Northern California) – The Superman: Ultimate Flight launch coaster will rocket riders at 60 miles per hour through a towering 150-foot-high inversion and a pair of vertical twists.

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Southern California) – The Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom drop tower will be attached to both sides of the park's 415-foot-tall Superman: Escape from Krypton coaster tower. The new thrill ride will rank as the world’s tallest (400 feet) and fastest (85 mph) drop tower.

Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio) – Both parks will install Sky Screamer swing towers for 2012. Six Flags built Sky Screamers of varying heights at Six Flags St. Louis (236 feet) and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (150 feet) in 2011. No word yet on the ride heights at Great Adventure and Fiesta Texas.

Six Flags America (outside Washington D.C.) – The 100-foot-tall Apocalypse stand-up coaster will travel at 55 mph through a loop and a corkscrew along a 2,900-foot-long track. The 1990 Bolliger & Mabillard coaster, formerly known as Iron Wolf, will be relocated from Six Flags Great America near Chicago.

Six Flags New England (Massachusetts) – The 192-foot-tall Goliath inverted boomerang coaster will travel forward and backward at 65 mph through a cobra roll and a loop along a 1,200-foot-long track. The 2001 Vekoma coaster, formerly known as Deja Vu, will be relocated from Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles.

Six Flags St. Louis (Missouri) and Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) – Both parks will add a Bonzai Pipeline looping water slide to their respective Hurricane Harbor water parks.

Great Escape (New York) – The Nordic-themed Alpine Freefalls water slide complex will be added to the Great Escape's Splashwater Kingdom water park.

Six Flags Over Georgia (Atlanta) – A 45th anniversary tribute show will join the park's entertainment lineup.

Six Flags Over Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth), Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Six Flags Mexico (Mexico City) and La Ronde (Montreal) – Each of the parks will add a still-undisclosed ride, attraction or show in 2012.

^ Considering they dumped rocks on part of it, part of the track is already gone, and they tore the roof off the garage for the cars..not likely.

Well I would imagine part of the track is gone so cranes and equipment can get through there. It's a little strip of metal, I don't think it would be that hard to replace. Although i'm not sure what's going on with the garage. Maybe with rising gas prices and maintenance it's finally time for the cars to leave.

Cars are gone, their being shipped to other parks.

Where did you hear this from? Because if it's true, then yea, cars are definitely gone.

So I'm guessing we will have to wait for the official announcement to get stats tomorrow?

Yup, I can't wait!

Edited by traincrossin

Yay for leaked L.A. Times articles.....

(This was inadvertently left out of my orig. post) Assuming that the leaked facts/artist renderings are not the result of "unofficial imagination....Yay for us!

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a ZacSpin in the future but not right now. I think one would be appropriate in 2013 in the Iron Wolf Area.....

However, we need a "major" new addition with some real capacity/hour.

If the news tomorrow says we are getting a ZacSpin, I will applaud SFGAM, but with the sound of One Hand Clapping.... (and I have included the audio of this as a background to this very message....can ya hear it?)

Go Wing Rider!

Please, please please let Wing Rider be true.......

Edited by JamesMC

Yay for leaked L.A. Times articles.....

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a ZacSpin in the future but not right now. I think one would be appropriate in 2013 in the Iron Wolf Area.....

However, we need a "major" new addition with some real capacity/hour.

If the news tomorrow says we are getting a ZacSpin, I will applaud SFGAM, but with the sound of One Hand Clapping.... (and I have included the audio of this as a background to this very message....can ya hear it?)

Go Wing Rider!

Please, please please let Wing Rider be true.......

It was already proven to be a Wing Rider on page 224! It's called X-Flight

I'm still very excited to see the rest of the announcement! Should be a great coaster addition to the park, and it really looks like 2012 will be a nice year of additions to the Six Flags parks!

EDIT: Just watched the Six Flags announcement video with some footage of the coaster! Looks awesome! The station looks plain, but there was some theming that will interact with the trains!

Revolutionary Wing Coaster Coming to

Six Flags Great America in 2012

First Theme Park in the U.S. to Announce Plans to Build State-of-the-Art Wing Coaster

Gurnee, Ill. (September 1, 2011) – Get ready to take flight! Six Flags Great America announces plans to add a state-of-the-art roller coaster for the 2012 season. X-Flight is a ground-breaking wing coaster featuring cutting-edge technology. The Gurnee theme park is the first to announce plans for a wing coaster in the U.S.

X-Flight will take riders on a flight that defies gravity, with no track above or below them. Riders sit in pairs, suspended on either side of the track with their feet dangling, as they begin their climb up a 12-story plunge launching them into speeds of 55mph through 3,000 feet of intense drops and five inversions, including a barrel roll and zero-g roll. One of the most adrenaline-pumping moments on the ride is an extreme fly-through where the coaster speeds straight toward a structure, before making a last-minute vertical flip to fit through a keyhole cut-out.

“Six Flags Great America has a long history of introducing legendary rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America Park President. “What makes

X-Flight so unique is soaring through 3,000 feet of high-speed drops, loops and turns, with nothing above or below you. The coaster’s train actually looks like a plane with seats suspended on either side of the track. It’s like nothing you have ever experienced before. We are thrilled to bring this revolutionary wing coaster to our guests for the 2012 season.”

X-Flight is designed by acclaimed Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, who also designed Six Flags Great America favorites: Raging Bull, SUPERMAN: Ultimate Flight and BATMAN: The Ride. The wing coaster will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this Fall. X-Flight is scheduled to open Spring of 2012.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a free 20-acre water park, spectacular shows, a nighttime illuminated parade and three children’s themed areas. Soar on X-Flight all season long with a 2012 Season Pass, now on sale for $64.99 for four or more. Buy now and get a

2012 Season Parking Pass free. Sale ends October 30, 2011.

http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/x-flight/

X-Flight01_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.fd0b83156e2077738c13c4c7287ac0dc.jpg

X-Flight02_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.11fcccc541f94bafb7a0a2c2e738c7eb.jpg

X-Flight03_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.7332d93fee96f2409130a92f7f01f43e.jpg

X-Flight04_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.ea8ba2e5cccc54826d54a411a6f3108b.jpg

X-Flight05_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.29998cd9a6a51ffcf72e8637883c6dfc.jpg

X-Flight06_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.0684c1a772873345f879580dec255f8d.jpg

X-Flight07_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.c2a7ae19739ed6af6ad524cbfc07193b.jpg

319281_10150273111076356_10583866355_8152953_647723_n.thumb.jpg.d85afe97aab42e8d3556b471fd98b65b.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

I was worried that it would be a short ride with it going into the location it is and with the layout of Raptor and Swarm, but this looks like a really well designed ride. It looks like it has some great elements, and given their size to the height of the lift, hopefully they provide an intense ride, which doesn't seem to happen with Raptor/Swarm. One of the concerns I had when it was rumored to be a wing coaster was that there wouldn't be much to the ride, due to how large the elements were on the previous designs. Track is expensive, and I figured that whatever coaster was built, even if it was 3000ft long, would have few elements for a ride of its length. Great addition for Six Flags Great America, and I can't wait to ride it.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

Wow, great addition for SFGAm. This whole Six Flags "Every Park gets something". Is a great idea, and to see major additions like coasters going to some of these parks is great! That being said I'm really looking forward to seeing and eventually riding it. The flythrough looks like on of the coolest parts, I think the theming has potential.

Does anyone else think that the immelman looks too small in comparison to the first drop. It definitely looks like B&M were high when designing this coaster. I'm also glad it isn't an exact clone of Swarm.

Based off the concept art, you're looking from the top-down. You can't tell how tall it is bro.

Pretty sure B&M wouldn't f*** up their coasters by adding a loop that was too small. Don't know what you mean when you say it looks like they were high while designing this coaster....

Looks fantastic. That roll off of the lift - kind of a cross between Hydra's Jojo roll and Storm Runner's Flying Snake dive. It's not heartlined, so it will be even more weird!