TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: A Wet, Wild Weekend in Pennsylvania

Cool stuff Chuck. I can only imagine what crazy directions the GPS was giving you in Pennsylvania because of the detours. I got lost in Pittsburgh the other day I couldn't go southbound on a bridge. I swear whenever I drove across the border into West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia to get to Williamsburg it seemed PA roads are light years behind when it comes to highways.

I used Mapquest, which gave me perfect directions this time around. Ask Larry about using GPS.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a wet and wild weekend to say the least. That ERT session on Phoenix will live on in history. Even Rick Knobel grabbed a sword and rode with us. Thanks for uploading the singing cows too. That, along with Piers singing Gaga, can't be unseen.

Cool stuff Chuck. I can only imagine what crazy directions the GPS was giving you in Pennsylvania because of the detours. I got lost in Pittsburgh the other day I couldn't go southbound on a bridge. I swear whenever I drove across the border into West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia to get to Williamsburg it seemed PA roads are light years behind when it comes to highways.

I used Mapquest, which gave me perfect directions this time around. Ask Larry about using GPS.

I knew I was supposed to make a left leaving the hotel, yet I still followed the GPS and made a right hand turn. Also, my GPS gave me a great tour of the city of Hershey as it told me to get off Highway 322 one exit early (at Route 422 instead of Route 39.)

That looks like an interesting dark ride. It kinda reminds me of Fire in the Hole from Silver Dollar City. I do find it odd that they are going with what could be easily construed as a morbid tribute to Appalachian/Pennsylvanian coal mining history but then again, the original Fire in the Hole had paintings of local legends the Baldknobbers, who where essentially a riff on the Klan.

^The park already has a small museum devoted to coal mining, but I understand your point. Black Diamond also contains a sort of memorial to miners who were killed in an accidental explosion many years ago (they were trying to dig more coal out of an already closed mine when it happened). It's an interesting concept for a dark ride, and I think they're handling it well.

And, heck, there is a famous Disney attraction that "celebrates" a band of desperate men who sack and burn a Caribbean port.

^The park already has a small museum devoted to coal mining, but I understand your point. Black Diamond also contains a sort of memorial to miners who were killed in an accidental explosion many years ago (they were trying to dig more coal out of an already closed mine when it happened). It's an interesting concept for a dark ride, and I think they're handling it well.

And, heck, there is a famous Disney attraction that "celebrates" a band of desperate men who sack and burn a Caribbean port.

If I remember correctly there also going to be a scene commemorating the first "televised" coal miner rescue and a scene referencing the town of Centralia. History, yes. Morbid, no.

I'm sure some could construe it as morbid, but it is tactfully done.

Edited by larrygator