TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter was the ultimate dark 'ride' experience. Fist time I rode it I was terrified going into the attraction because I didn't know what to expect but I was never actually scared in the chamber. The anticipation got me everytime (especially the preshow with S.I.R and Skippy!). It was always a great experience that unfortanately went over a lot of peoples heads as a form of entertainment, especially parents who don't pay attention to the numerous warnings and announcements. Everything really came together with that attraction from clever script writting (gotta love XS Tech!) and incredible special effects that culminated in a sensory experience unlike anything else. It was a real shame that Disney replaced it with Stitch. I love Stitch as a character but the attraction really doesn't work anymore, the chili dog is just plain nasty and the effects (aside from the animatronic) are just boring. Alien Encounter was intense using louder/thoughtful audio and really made you believe a man eating creature was all over that room, even after many rides. Stitch seams very contrived and you never really get the sense that he is in the room with you and the story is just boring and uneventful. Alien Encounter had mini experiences that built the story from the first preshow to the chamber that climaxed in a spetactular fashion. The sequence of the alien 'breathing' and 'touching' you was always fun as everyone around you is screaming from the suprise of the alien tounge. You know its not real but the tension of when it will happen to you was fantastic. I especially loved the ending with the bass rumbling the theater and the chairs thumping as the teleporter is overloading with 'XS' power until the alien exploded with a blast of air and water a split second before the lights came on to the teleporter closing. That sequence made me clinch the arm rest everytime, not becuase it was 'scary' but your senses told you something big is about to happen.

I hope Disney reimagines this technology into ride vehicles somehow and makes a true ride out of it. I can imagine an incredible storm ride experience with enhanced sensory ride vehicles that have motion like Spiderman's vehicles to simulate hurricanes and tornados using audio and video effects....

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I will take most roller coasters over dark rides, I have to say that I am still a fan of dark rides since they provide a relaxing alternative to the thrilling options that a park has. For example, I always make sure to ride Canobie's dark ride (Mine of Lost Souls) at least once during each of my visits to my home park.

Cedar Point more?

How about 1.

They have zero, at least in my book.

I don't consider indoor roller coasters dark rides, they are indoor roller coasters.

And it is an crying shame that Cedar Point and Busch Gardens T don't have a shooting ride in the air conditioning.

Busch Gardens Tampa needs a dark ride big time!!!!!!!!

They used to have Ackbar. I only went once, and back then the ride had nobody waiting for it except my group, but we didn't know anything going in and loved the humor and over the top concept of the ride. Unfortunately, it was also extremely bumpy and rough, which likely limited its appeal.

I love dark rides! I grew up in Southern California, so obviously my childhood was filled with great Disney dark rides.

I remember having my mind blown when first riding Indiana Jones as a kid. To this day its my all time favorite dark ride.

Also, I was devastated when Knotts removed the Kingdom of the DInosaurs. Such a shame, especially since the building is just sitting there with nothing good in it.

My top list:

1. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye

2. Tower of Terror (I count it, even if it is a dark/drop hybrid)

3. Haunted Mansion

3. Mr Toad's WIld Ride (DisneyLAND FTW)

4. Kingdom of the Dinosaurs

Cedar Point more?

How about 1.

They have zero, at least in my book.

I don't consider indoor roller coasters dark rides, they are indoor roller coasters.

And it is an crying shame that Cedar Point and Busch Gardens T don't have a shooting ride in the air conditioning.

That's true; so they need at least ONE dark ride.

I definitely enjoy dark rides, obviously we all love the coasters but dark rides add to the day at a park and get you out of the heat. Plus some of my favorites are the Scooby Doo shooters at KD, KI, etc, I might suck at them but it's a relaxing ride and it's fun

• 10 months later...

I'm a big fan of Darkrides. I think it is the best type of a ride attraction even better than a great coaster. Themeparks without darkrides are incomplete.

I really love 'Pirates' at Disneyland Paris and the creepy darkrides in Phantasialand are real fun but the park with the best classic darkrides is the Efteling. For me the 'Fata Morgana''is the best, great theme, great music, lots of animatronics and a peacefull ride system.

An Impression of the ride:

199984_10150118208298983_4441003_n.jpg

188534_10150118208538983_8261043_n.jpg

197572_10150118208633983_2322627_n.jpg

and I found a great onride

start at 4:40

A lot of the time, dark rides are uniquely-created to the park that has them.

There also are companys, like Sally Corp.

and even Disney, who are certainly offering up and creating great dark ride experiences,

they can and will reproduce the same ride, if wanted by another park. Esp. Disney.

So finding a truely only-in-this-park kind of dark ride, is a true treat for myself to go on.

Even if the attraction itself is pretty cheesy, run down or just plain awful.

I am glad I took a ride on it and thru it. You only get one chance to ride it, sometimes...

I02_Meh_Toshimaen.jpg.b521c1ec15c75b825b0bbaef054768b1.jpg

My continued WTF reaction to Tokyo park Toshimaen's odd big box dark ride. (July 1,2011)

I'm actually more of a dark ride person than I am of coasters. I love the the speed and thrill that coasters provide, but I enjoy being immersed in a themed environment even more. If you are able to put those two together, like on the Mummy for example, then that's a huge plus for me!

While I love the high-end dark rides like Spidey, Radiator Springs Racers, Indy, Transformers, and Potter, I also have a love for the really old-school dark rides. I love the cheap scare tricks they have and the "unknown" feeling you get when your vehicle goes through those doors.

• 2 weeks later...

So someone brought up the Jungle Cruise as a "day time" dark ride - while that might be stretching it a bit, it is an interesting discussion. What really defines a dark ride? Is the Land Boat Ride a dark ride? Is Toy Story Midway Mania a dark ride?

Hmm interesting question. I would say that the Jungle Cruise is more of a dark ride than Living with the Land. To me the darkness allows for more control over theming etc, and the Jungle Cruise does just that.

^Well, if you ride the Jungle Cruise after dark . . .

I've come across references to "outdoor dark rides," which I guess is a term people use for lack of a better one to describe attractions like the Jungle Cruise or those odd towboat rides you find in some parks (for example, Excalibur at Drayton Manor, which has both indoor and outdoor sections).

Edited by cfc

^^ I agree. Living with the Land seems more along the lines of Backlot Tour at DHS or even Kilimanjaro Safari at DAK.

Dark Rides (to me) are non Roller Coasters or Simulators, with heavy theme through out and a ride system on a track or flume, including animatronics.

So at Magic Kingdom (where a lot of people think of dark rides) I would consider Peter Pan's flight, Splash Mountain, Small World, Pirates of The Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and even Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (due to the fact you are IN his universe). And now even the Jungle cruise even though its outside.

Epcot has Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom, Universe of Energy, and Journey in to Imagination (WITH FIGMENT!).

DHS though is where it gets tricky... to me its Great Movie Ride and Tower of Terror. Toy Story Midway Mania is NOT a dark ride, its almost like a simulation. Because you are just playing a really big video game, yet its one of the best video games you can play!

OK, but don't forget that Jungle Cruise at WDW has the indoor segment inside the temple with the animatronic tiger and monkeys. Also the land boat ride has the whole indoor segment in the beginning which is very dark ride-ish going past show scenes with animatronics. I know it doesn't fit within the traditional "theme" of a dark ride, but I think it might be close!

To me, one of the defining elements of a "dark ride" is the "controlled environment" aspect of them. For that reason, I couldn't consider Jungle Cruise a dark ride. I think of it as a boat ride with "dark ride" portions, whereas Living with the Land - even though a large portion of the ride utilizes natural light - is still in an indoor "controlled environment," thus falling into the dark ride category....at least by my mind's definition.

With that said, I suppose some would argue that something like 20K (was) or Nemo at DL is partially exposed to the natural elements like Jungle Cruise, but I've got it as a dark ride due to the controlled environment of the self-contained ride vehicles.

Journey to Atlantis comes to mind as well. I've heard it argued as more of a dark ride than flume or water coaster, although I've got it scored clearly as a water coaster with dark ride elements.