TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I like the preshow in Florida cause it features the voice of Captain Zapp Brannigan from futurama... one of the best characters EVER!

Close, but not quite. You're thinking of Phil Hartman, who is in Under New Management, and was supposed to play Zapp, but died before any actual recording. So Billy West ended up playing Zapp (as well as Fry, Zoidberg, and the Professor), but is not in Under New Management, to my knowledge.

/Futurama nerd.

^ Well, yes, he was supposed to. An audition was done, but I've no idea if that recording survives. Presumably, Billy West's version of Zapp is similar, or perhaps even a tribute in some way to what Phil did. At the very least, it sounds like like they both did a "50% Captain Kirk, 50% actual William Shatner" sort of thing with it.

Fry's first name is "Philip" in tribute to Phil Hartman, by the way.

I just hope they bring back the fountain at the end. That was my favorite part and could not believe they took that part out! I really didn't care either way about the characters, just give me back my colorful fountain!

And off topic - I can't believe they took out the fountains at Disneyland Hotel and I never got to see them!

I saw the original show several years ago as a child. From what I can remember, I really liked it but details about it are little fuzzy. Never saw the new show, but doesn't sound like I missed anything.

We will probably try and make a point to see this new/old version in October because the kids will probably get a kick out of it especially Dylan.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually like the idea of having Blackbeard instead of Davy Jones. First, Blackbeard was a real pirate and would fit in perfectly long after the movies' popularity wears off. Second, the character of Davy Jones doesn't fit well with the rest of the attraction. If you never saw POTC 2 and 3, you would be scratching your head wondering what that strange thing in the waterfall had to do with pirates.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/a-new-look-at-storybook-circus-at-magic-kingdom-park/

I know it’s going to be a great week on the Disney Parks Blog when I get to start by posting a new Fantasyland update. Today I’m happy to share new details on the Storybook Circus area that’s planned as part of the new Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom Park.

With all the updates we’ve done on the “royal” side of the Fantasyland expansion – Beast’s Castle, Maurice’s Cottage and Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid – the plans for Storybook Circus seemed to be a bit more mysterious. Until now.

Storybook Circus will be based on our animated film, “Dumbo.” Here, Casey Jr., the famous locomotive from the movie, has rolled into town and brought the grand Storybook Circus with him. The area will be filled with colorful circus tents and nods to the famous film. For example, guests – especially little ones – are welcome to cool down with Casey Jr., who can be found near the train station, getting splashed by playful circus animals.

Just past Casey Jr., guests will encounter big-top circus tents that lead to a “double” version of Dumbo the Flying Elephant. Also, in the tradition of classic air shows, Barnstormer will take on a new look and theme, becoming a spiraling stunt plane built by The Great Goofini.

What do you think? Will you be there when the circus comes to town?

cjf018371LARGE.jpg.e4700421f7b6b227c0c81a3b532712e1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/fairies-fly-to-magic-kingdom-park-july-28/

I have an update today for all of you Disney Fairies fans.

Tinker Bell and the rest of the Disney Fairies will return to Magic Kingdom Park for meet-and-greets beginning July 28. The Pixie Hollow gang will be stationed at the Adventureland Veranda in the Adventureland area of the park.

Until that time, the fairies will continue greeting families at Epcot.

Tip: For the most updated information on meet-and-greet locations for any Disney character, pick up a Times Guide at any Disney theme park.

dfm031939LARGE.jpg.b725fade3d866f4d9fc74c2aad6f695a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

EPCOT Changes are already in effect.

Magic Kingdom Monorails changes valid on Aug.1 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------

Monorails will only run for 1 Hour after park closing. This is cutback from the regular 90 minutes.

Regular Closing hours- During Extra Magic Hour Attendees (Nighttime hours) Monorails will NOT run.

Instead of the monorail, guests can uses buses or boats for transportation.

Disney has not yet decided whether it will operate the trains during extra ticketed events (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party)

Disney World spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said Monday the reduced hours are "to accommodate for planned maintenance" on the trains, which are approximately 20 years old.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Disney World Monorail fleet is 20 years old- (There was an update several years ago, but that only affected the communications systems.)

Disneyland's Pervious Fleet- Mark V Monorails were in operation from 1987 - 2008 , 21 years of operation.

Disney Worlds Previous Monorail-Mark IV Monorails were in operation from 1971 to 1991, 20 years of operation.

WDW is currently at this "Mark" (pun intended)

Is it time to get some Mark VII Monorails?!?!

monorail.jpg.c2c831029ec04c566bc72e1faeb4c0f6.jpg

WDW's Current Monorail fleet-Mark VI Monorail

146139162_MonorailDisneyland.jpg.30755ef6209f821133a8a86ff2b2db75.jpg

Disneyland's Current Monorail fleet-Mark VII Monorail

Edited by The SETGO Guys

I think that the monorail in California is so much cooler...why?..it goes through the park, has funky track and the trains look awesome!

As for the WDW changes, I guess we just always have to trust that Disney make their changes with us and the company's long term benefit in mind. Plus, that's an awesome ferry ride after a long day at the park in Florida!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick little News Flash here....

RE-OPENING ON AUGUST 15th!

Tiki-Room-Sign-800x305.png.58fddcdb45210e41bffa780b68990b3e.png

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Sunshine Pavilion, featuring a show variously known as “Tropical Serenade” and “The Enchanted Tiki Birds,” debuted on Oct. 1, 1971, in Magic Kingdom. In 1998, following substantial refurbishment, it re-launched as The Enchanted Tiki Room-Under New Management, with two famous Disney birds – Iago from Aladdin and Zazu from The Lion King – taking control and trying to spruce up the show.

Now the “new management” has been let go and the future of the Adventureland landmark is in the wings and wit of José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre – four crooning parrot hosts who have been entertaining guests at California’s Disneyland since 1963 in The Enchanted Tiki Room. Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, as the Magic Kingdom attraction now will be called, is being prepared for the premiere (tentatively on Aug. 15, 2011) of a show that will pay tribute to the Disneyland original – notable in theme park history for ushering in sophisticated Audio-Animatronics technology.

Prior to 1963, Walt Disney’s creative team had produced movable figures, but none had the sophistication of the bird-brained cast of the Tiki Room. José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre produce movements when solenoid coils hidden inside receive signals recorded onto magnetic tape and are regarded as the first “true” Audio-Animatronics figures. They introduce a musical presentation by more than 200 birds, flowers and tikis. Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the musical ditty “Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing.”

While the show is steeped in tradition and maintains the original intent created by Walt Disney and his original team of Imagineers, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room will feature the latest in technology – a state of the art show-control system, remastered audio, and a new versatile and energy efficient lighting system.

The attraction has shows throughout Magic Kingdom operating hours.

I'm really excited! If you have a seasonal pass (Like myself)....unfortantly that is a blackout date for you. I believe the earliest you can see it would be the 18th.

Great to see this back and open before WDW has its 40th Anniversary!

Edited by jedimaster1227

No.

Seconded. They need a whole new fleet from scratch. Disneyland's aren't designed to handle the level of traffic WDW's do - for example, Disneyland's trains only have doors on one side. While Disneyland's is an attraction first and a transportation system second, WDW's is the other way around.

No.

Seconded. They need a whole new fleet from scratch. Disneyland's aren't designed to handle the level of traffic WDW's do - for example, Disneyland's trains only have doors on one side. While Disneyland's is an attraction first and a transportation system second, WDW's is the other way around.

I would assume that if we got new monorails (Probably under the name of that) they would be dramatically different (Built for moving crowds), I would like to see a simular look however, I think the Disneyland Monorails look very sleek!

I think the monorail trains are just fine, but maybe they go to MGM and animal kingdom too? Disney transit is pretty confusing sometimes, and this would be easier (at least for me).

I haven't checked on financial factors of this, so don't bash me if I'm being unrealistic.

I think the monorail trains are just fine, but maybe they go to MGM and animal kingdom too? Disney transit is pretty confusing sometimes, and this would be easier (at least for me).

I haven't checked on financial factors of this, so don't bash me if I'm being unrealistic.

From everything Ive ever heard about possible monorail expansion it's entirely a financial factor and would be incredibly expensive to add monorail to the Studios and Minimal Kingdom. While I working there I spoke to some engineers from transportation department and they mentioned the idea of a light rail train from the TTC to Animal Kingdom has been discussed and could be a possibility in the future but the cost of expanding the monorail would be astronomical. I remember hearing figure somewhere on the order of 100 Million dollars per mile? That may not be right but it's what I remember.

From everything Ive ever heard about possible monorail expansion it's entirely a financial factor and would be incredibly expensive to add monorail to the Studios and Minimal Kingdom. While I working there I spoke to some engineers from transportation department and they mentioned the idea of a light rail train from the TTC to Animal Kingdom has been discussed and could be a possibility in the future but the cost of expanding the monorail would be astronomical. I remember hearing figure somewhere on the order of 100 Million dollars per mile? That may not be right but it's what I remember.

Way less than $100 Million a mile. The Travel channel estimated about 1 Million per mile back in 2005.

I think that the whole system should be rebuilt from scratch,my idea Have a couple GIANT Parking garages in a central location, then have a HUGE Transportation center with monorail service to each park (and buses and ferrys and trams...)