TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

Wow, I just got my Club TPR renewal packet yesterday with a Europa Park map in it an I was thinking to myself ya know a GCI Woodie at this place would really round out this place's all ready great coaster lineup. One day later they announce this. Europa is now number 1 on my "European Parks I really want to visit list".

Wow, this is exciting! Way to go GCI! Are you sure the length is in feet though? Only 1,500 feet with a top speed of 62 MPH seems wierd to me. If it was 1050 METERS, It would approxomate to around 3,444 feet long. which makes more sense IMHO.

It is a typo by the poster. Here is the link with the stats for the coaster.

http://www.epfans.info/?id=3373&lang=&PHPSESSID=af10abd60f1d576419cc819eaaeb5009

Länge: 1050 Meter

Edited by ernierocker

Ah i see you've already edited my post. Done the translation from german into englisch by Google translate. Guess the calculation wasn't right at that point.

Sorry for the inconvience.

I'm looking forward to this ride! After Troy and Joris & de draak. This is the 3th big GCI of the last couple of years over here in Europe.

For Europapark this is a good choice. To add a woody, still gives the family feeling to the park. Not just a other thrill ride.

Iám so unbelievable Happy about that! now i have to buy me an Season Pass .

Why did you not already have a Season Pass if you live so near to the park!

I even got one and i still have to travel 5 / 6 hours to get to the park!

Finally the GCI and Europa Park rumour which has floated around for years has become true.

So looking at logo picture they've released so far you can see that it'll be featuring a norse aesir mythology theme, with the lighting, statues and the station looks like something Valhalla could look like. Story could be something about Thor and Odin perhaps.

And the stats says it'll cross two other roller coasters so I would guess the location will be somewhere between Blue Fire and Atlantica.

Google Maps

Ah it's great to be able to follow another 2012 project!

This announcement has just caught EVERY EP enthusiast off guard. I don't think anyone expected this.

Now, not only will Europa-Park add a 63mph GCI Wooden Coaster, the 11th rollercoaster to be built in the park, but it's also GCI's 2nd tallest yet and in the same year that they're spending €35,000,000 on a new 224-room hotel.

Way to go, Europa!

I read also something in the stats about the capacity:

18.000 visitors / day

When we do some math we might come to some interesting conclusion.

Hours of operation / day: 9

Visitors / hour: 2000

Visitors / train: 24

Trains / hour: 83

A normal woodie would not be able to reach such a capacity! Some stats: Troy and Renegade only do 850 visitors / hour. Will they build a duelling/racing woodie? Joris and the Dragon @ Efteling is such a duelling and does 1750 visitors / hour.

^Seatbelts are there for a reason. Calling for them to be cut out (i.e. cutting out safety parameters) in favor of faster dispatch times isn't sensible.

Indeed not -- but are the belts actually required with the GCI restraint design?

I don't know the answer to the above, but I point the reader towards the many coasters out there that run with lap bars only.

Well, there is no way that EP would run a coaster with a throughput of 850 per hour - such as Troy or each side of Joris en de Draak.

Blue Fire next door achieves a 1,700 per hour throughput and the lowest throughput coaster at EP is their wild mouse which still achieves over 900.

Quite how they plan to increase throughput is going to interesting. A MCBR perhaps?

^ Mid-course probably. Heck, maybe even some kind of pre-lift dark ride section. If any park can keep the lines down, they can.

Anyways, so Europa Park continues to further distance itself from any "competition" it may have had in the theme park world. Just when I thought the world's best theme park couldn't get any more awesome, they add what will probably be yet another excellent coaster. It's almost overkill.

EDIT: Also, judging from the announced stats, this sounds like it'll be second only to Mountain Flyer at Knight Valley for GCI's tallest and fastest design, and about even in length with their other big coasters. That's assuming google didn't trick me at the conversions...

I just visited Europa Park past October during study abroad, and already wanted to return (blue fire is my #1). But with the new hotel and coaster, all the more reason to go back. I'm actually not too surprised at the GCI announcement, as I noticed a few months ago that MACK lists GCI as a partneron their website, so it makes sense that GCI would be the one to put a woodie into Europa Park. I don't know how they plan to have that throughput, but I'm certain that if any park can, it's Europa Park.

^Seatbelts are there for a reason. Calling for them to be cut out (i.e. cutting out safety parameters) in favor of faster dispatch times isn't sensible.

Indeed not -- but are the belts actually required with the GCI restraint design?

I don't know the answer to the above, but I point the reader towards the many coasters out there that run with lap bars only.

This is precisely my point is there any reason that they need to be there? There are loads of other wood coasters without seat belts. Knoebels cut the seat belts out, so why couldn't Europa Park? Is a park like Europa Park really going to allow something that will slow up the boarding process? I think not, I mean none of their other coasters have seat belts.

I don't think removing the seatbelts is an unreasonable suggestion in theory. I think that most parks use the seatbelts to protect themselves from their guests. People do all kinds of stupid things on wooden coasters like stand up,turn around backwards and then die. I will reinerate that many coasters run fine with just seatbelts but some of these GCI coasters are getting quite twisty and may need the additional restraint.