Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 101: Flitzer to close on September 23rd
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Re: Morey's Piers Discussion Thread

Postby Pirouettes907 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:54 pm

So this coaster is finally going to happen? Awesome! I've been drooling over the concept art since day one!

I agree with others; Wildwoody sounds kind of gaudy. Boardwalk Flyer does indeed have that classic sound to it and, to me at least, connotes that timeless feel of summertime at the boardwalk. I suppose, if anything, it pays homage to the John Allen/PTC Flyer that came down in the 1980s.

Whatever the name, I'm looking forward to it!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby njbill » Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 pm

They took down the giant slide and moved Dante's Dungeon to make way for the new coaster. It will go from the pier with the Nor Easter on it, to the pier where the Golden Nugget used to be.

I like Boardwalk Flyer. It pays homage to the old Hunt's Pier Flyer, maybe it's corny but I like it. Part of this coaster looks like it's going to go where the old Flyer stood.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1960_1970/img/hunts_pier.jpg

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Magnum PA » Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 am

I'm so very much looking forward to the new coaster opening. It's been 15 years since Great White opened. This new ride looks wonderful, and you can't go wrong with GCI.

But I'm holding out hope for 2012. Speaking about the new 'it' ride this year, and this is from the horse's mouth...

A few summers ago, the Moreys decided they needed to pep up Surfside Pier, their property at 26th Street and the boardwalk. The place has a "personality" that Morey says leans toward "seaside carnival, you know, sort of still wanting to be tacky and proud of it."

He started to formulate ideas for the new long-armed attraction.

He wanted it loud, with bright lights. He wanted it tall. (The ride's moving parts swing and hurl riders six stories into the air.) And he wanted it to have a relatively small footprint to preserve space for an $11 million wooden rollercoaster coming to the park next summer, Morey said.

Link to the article:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-10/news/29528413_1_jack-morey-attraction-lap-bar
This is where I brag about how many roller coasters I've ridden because it shows how much I know about them.
This is where I list the number of steel coasters I've ridden, which is inflated with kiddie coasters, so that my count looks higher.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Across_the_Universe » Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Now that looks like a great wooden coaster. Too bad the only time I ever go to Wildwood is in Late April/Early May, when only the pier where the Boomerang is is open... :(
"Let's make a list of who we need and we'll throw it away
'Cause we don't need anyone, no we don't need anyone"
The Format-'The First Single'

Coaster Credits: 40

Planning on retiring to Radiator Springs

Morey's Pier Accident

Postby Skramp » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

According to an article on MSN, an 11 year-old girl fell from the Ferris Wheel and died. Not many details available yet.

WILDWOOD, N.J. — A young girl on a school trip died Friday after falling about 100 feet from a moving Ferris wheel at New Jersey's Wildwood boardwalk.

The 11-year-old fell about 12:30 p.m. and was brought by helicopter to a nearby hospital, where she died, Capt. Lynn Frane of the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office said.

Police say Abiah Jones of Pleasantville was with her classmates from Pleasant Tech Academy when she fell from the ride at 12:30 p.m.

She fell from the upper half of the ride while it was in motion, Wildwood Police Capt. Robert Regalbuto told The Press of Atlantic City. Regalbuto estimated the height was about 100 feet.

The Ferris wheel is among rides at Morey's Mariner's Landing Pier. The newspaper reported the popular amusement park was heavily attended by children during the pier's annual Education Extravaganza — a day the park is open and marketed for school students and teachers.

There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident.

Morey's said in a statement the cause was being investigated.

Both Morey's and police said the problem did not appear to be mechanical. Police took photographs of various passenger carts on the Ferris wheel, part of which was covered in white sheets, and were looking for witnesses to the fall.

Meanwhile, the Ferris wheel and a few others were closed, while the rest of the sprawling park remained open.

Morey said in the statement, "The Morey staff and family offer our thoughts and prayers to the family."

The wheel, 156 feet tall, is one of the largest Ferris wheels on the East Coast.

MSN Article
Last edited by ernierocker on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:26 pm.
Who was that again?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Morey's Pier Accident

Postby John Peck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm

That Wheel is a Vekoma (same type that's at Kentucky Kingdom, navy Pier and Darien Lake) There is no way you can fall out of it as you have to either climb over the bars, or open and unlatch the doors.

Not to speculate, but I wonder if it may be ruled as a suicide due to peer pressure, kids can get mean at age 11.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby odene497 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:26 pm

This is a terrible incident, especially for a young girl out having a fun day with school. Very curious as to how this occurred.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm

John Peck wrote:Not to speculate, but I wonder if it may be ruled as a suicide due to peer pressure, kids can get mean at age 11.

"There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident."
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:08 pm

^Its still early.

Absolutely terrible, my heart goes out to her family. :(

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rccrazy23 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 pm

CardCraze wrote:
John Peck wrote:Not to speculate, but I wonder if it may be ruled as a suicide due to peer pressure, kids can get mean at age 11.

"There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident."

Morey's released that there was no mechanical problems found. I visit Morey's annually and you really have to try to get out of that ride if you wanted to but, at the same time it is possible, just like any ferris wheel.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!