TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Dare Devil Dive Media Day at SFOG

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying the layout doesn't ride well - I just don't like the layout itself. It just doesn't flow to me - I'm sure I'll get jumped on for thinking I'm better than the designers at Gerstlauer or something, which I certainly don't. I just don't like these layouts, how the elements are connected, etc. Not saying that they're bad rides at all, because that I certainly can't know until I've ridden.

Groucho agrees with you.

I'm kidding here, and I can understand why you might not care for the layout. I thought the same thing about Speed at Oakwood, until I rode it.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I'll go ahead and give my review of the ride.

First off, I think it's a great little coaster. Is it anything that's gonna threaten your top 10 list, or even top 50 for that matter? No, probably not. However, it's just a "fun" ride that's a perfect fit for a park that, despite Six Flags' current slogan of "Go Big," is probably not in the market for another Goliath-sized installation for quite a while.

I suppose the only drawback may be the capacity issue, but hey, if you're reading this (which you are!), then you're probably fairly familiar with how to avoid big crowds and make the most of your park visits.

As for the layout and ride itself, I mentioned it earlier....it's just fun! It won't blow you away, nor will it bore you. In my opinion it tracks amazingly well, is very quiet, and is pretty well paced. If you want me to be real nitpicky, I'd say that the section between the block brake and the mist tunnel is slightly "meh," but again, that's real nitpicky. The barrel roll immediately makes up for that with awesome hang time though!

And let's be honest here, the true test, and subsequent "WIN" is the restraints!! Without question, I'm praying this catches on across the whole industry. Dare Devil Dive is absolute proof that this system can work. I actually just thought of something as I typed that last sentence.....would a holding brake at the top of the tower possibly have required OTSRs? Hmm, if so, I'm happy with the the way things are!!

You may notice in the rider cam video that I'm squirming a bit on the lift. That's because I had been nursing a bit of a sore back for a couple of days prior to the event, and I was slightly concerned about riding. Truth is, the seats and lap bars really made it as comfortable as possible. You have great freedom of motion. If anything, it might have actually helped me stretch and loosen up a bit. Hey, DDD is a chiropractic miracle solution as well!!

So basically that's it. It's a great "fun" little coaster with a perfect lap bar system, and an absolute perfect fit for the park. Go ride it!

I'm not saying the layout doesn't ride well - I just don't like the layout itself. It just doesn't flow to me - I'm sure I'll get jumped on for thinking I'm better than the designers at Gerstlauer or something, which I certainly don't. I just don't like these layouts, how the elements are connected, etc. Not saying that they're bad rides at all, because that I certainly can't know until I've ridden.

Try and think of it this way. With this latest incarnation of the Euro-fighter design and its 2x2x2 seating, Gerstlauer has created sort of an evolution of the wild mouse coasters....on steroids. It's basically a similar formula. The design is compact, economical, and still packs significant thrills for both the general public and enthusiasts alike. And I'll be honest, from what I had seen leading up to the event I was slightly skeptical about the layout as well, but left there pleasantly surprised!

How do you think the trains will fair for larger ACE sized riders? They look very accommodating in the pictures and I didn't notice a seat belt anywhere that would really restrict some people like the Intamins and B&M's have. Did you notice anyone getting tuned away?

How do you think the trains will fair for larger ACE sized riders? They look very accommodating in the pictures and I didn't notice a seat belt anywhere that would really restrict some people like the Intamins and B&M's have. Did you notice anyone getting tuned away?

Good question. As you said, there's no seat belts to restrict anyone, and they did feel pretty accommodating, but that's coming from someone tall and slim. I really didn't notice anyone turned away, but I also didn't see anyone with a significantly larger frame there either, so it's kinda tough to say, I guess.

Oh, and by the way....

upstop.jpg.b0e91879858addeea1a0a92de7bf5407.jpg

...yay for upstop wheels!

Not to steal Scott's thunder but I was there yesterday as well and I am 250 pounds with a big belly and I had no problem with the seat. There is no seat belt either. It is just the lapbar, but they do make sure they staple you in and for good reason too. The hangtime on the drop, the dive loop and the barrel roll could definitely throw you out if it was too loose.

Not to steal Scott's thunder but I was there yesterday as well and I am 250 pounds with a big belly and I had no problem with the seat. There is no seat belt either. It is just the lapbar, but they do make sure they staple you in and for good reason too. The hangtime on the drop, the dive loop and the barrel roll could definitely throw you out if it was too loose.

Yeah, I wonder how long until seat belts are installed, this is America after all we cant have too much of a good thing at our parks.

I just rode it today, and I agree that it's like a wild mouse on steroids! The layout was Definitely more extreme than Dollywood's Mystery Mine. The restraints made the ride exciting and free! I loved all of the inversions. Can't wait to go back and ride again. I hope more parks catch on to this technology of restraints.

Thanks again, guys!

I just rode it today, and I agree that it's like a wild mouse on steroids! The layout was Definitely more extreme than Dollywood's Mystery Mine.

You know, this got me thinking a bit. Outside of enthusiasts, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a member of the general public who could make the correlation between MM and DDD. They're almost night and day from each other.

Is there another manufacturer out there with a certain model name (Euro-fighter, Mega-lite, Dive Machine, etc.) that has as many variations as Gerstlauer has with this? Of course all Euro-fighters still have similar elements, but these new smaller lap bar only trains have really won me over, and consequently made it more difficult to group them together anymore. Thoughts?

looks like a ton of fun, but the brakes on it look rather... violent.

Well, the block brake can catch you off-guard a bit, but it wasn't painful, and not any different from other coasters out there. And the final break run was fine too.

Wow, great report and an awesome looking ride! I hadn't been paying much attention to this but it looks pretty impressive. Love the quick dive loop, it also looks super smooth. A great addition to one of my favorite Six Flags parks.

I had some leftover pics, so I added 'em to the first post for those who may be interested.

It was great to make your acquaintance yesterday.

Right back at ya! And I'm glad I got you guys in one of the pics. I hadn't even noticed it until now because I didn't get a good chance to look 'em over real close before I posted.

Wow, this looks like a fun coaster. I would love to see Six Flags Magic Mountain build this ride maybe for 2012. It's like Freefall, but an actual coaster, with lots of twists and sharp turns. I like the tunnel, but if SFMM has one built, I would like to see it dive underground and pop up from the other side, and a longer, darker tunnel. It looks fun, great design.