TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Got some info on the new coaster.

1. Coaster made by Zierer

2. 8 cars per train (16 people per train) load/unload 2 trains at a time in station.

3. Car themed (autobahn?)

4. Covered bridge finale where BBW drop was (approx. 126' drop) not sure if special effects are used.

5. The building looks to have a forest theme inside, with some kind of show finale before you exit the building.

JEFF

tprlayout.jpg.54f683ed35658992e31e177cead3772b.jpg

here is my crappy MS paint drawing of the layout

The rectangles indicate block sections

Edited by pkdcoaster

Zierer yeah that's very interesting

I also just went to Zierer site their coasters look a little carnival ish imo the trains are down right hideous imo not something I'd expect to see in a Busch park. Maybe they'll surprise us but from what I'm seeing on that site I don't see how BGW is going to get anything that looks as good as Cheetah or Manta SWC.

Edited by Gigalyte

Zierer. Well that's interesting.

^Yeah, the only launched coaster of theirs I found was Wicked, and that ride actually looks pretty good based on the illegal POV on youtube.

And from the the description of the cars, we could see the ESC style of ride vehicles.

This builder makes a lot of sense based on the rumors...

Vertical launch, German Make....

^Your opinion has been noted and logged. Personally, I think it's good to see a few more manufacturers, other than B&M and Intamin, building coasters in the U.S. Time will tell.

I was at the park on Sunday for a while, and snapped a few pictures of Mach Tower from various places around the park. Here are a few looks at the park's changing skyline.

475426508_ParkingLot.jpg.e4b7322c6bbdb1fada7aafe78ded6225.jpg

From the France parking lot.

238030976_FestaItaliaBridge.jpg.3938c4cb8a7a12e8a9a4172aeeec3941.jpg

From the Festa Italia Bridge.

689413633_Underit.jpg.d09b6e8a6c5277a4bc92214b212af3c0.jpg

From right under it.

Festhaus.jpg.3e152de065aefe3eaf81dbf21b51a45b.jpg

From the Festhaus.

Griffon.jpg.8124a7c2e568bc3d4fcd3c5f0658f85d.jpg

From Griffon.

80682361_LochNess.jpg.12f578bdb359a7da7a938e0a82bf7955.jpg

And through the Loch Ness Monster.

Edited by cfc

^It's a little hard to get the scale of it, too. Up close, it doesn't look that tall, but when you ride Griffon, it's pretty clear that Mach Tower is taller.

I think there's some "trim" yet to be installed, too.

Edited by cfc

Personally, I am just glad and thankful that BGW is getting two new thrill rides in two consecutive years. I will take what I can get. Living close and having gone to this park every season numerous times since the park opened, I think the new rides are a step in the right direction. Just my opinion, but I would rather they put new in than take something existing out...AGAIN.

I will be at the park the weekend of the 21rst but not Mach's opening on Memorial day...looking forward to hearing the opinions of those on this forum who do ride it...

Personally, I am just glad and thankful that BGW is getting two new thrill rides in two consecutive years. I will take what I can get. Living close and having gone to this park every season numerous times since the park opened, I think the new rides are a step in the right direction. Just my opinion, but I would rather they put new in than take something existing out...AGAIN.

+1

^It's a little hard to get the scale of it, too. Up close, it doesn't look that tall, but when you ride Griffon, it's pretty clear that Mach Tower is taller.

I think there's some "trim" yet to be installed, too.

I am just a free fall/drop tower fan so the height of the tower really had no effect on me to begin with. It doesn't matter if it is one of the shorter S&S towers or the massive Intamin drip towers, I love them all. Atmosfear at Morey's Piers is only like 140 ft. tall but it is one of my favorites just with the added theming.

Edited by ernierocker

There is a commercial running on our local TV stations for Mach Tower, I can't seem to find it online anywhere. Its a typical commercial for a ride - shows the ride, people on the ride, and some random reactions to the ride.

I know it isn't real, because the ride isn't even testing yet (that we know of); but, it shows the ride car and the drop sequence like its running. In the commercial the car is round, instead of the square car pictured in the concept art. Also there is a large yellow sleeve (?) above with designs on it that appear to match up with the large yellow top on the tower.

Also, I think the commercial gives away the "secret." In one of the rider's reaction the person mentions a music track that goes along with the ride up the tower. She goes on to say ... you circle the tower while going up, you stop, the music stops, and then you fall.

There was no "Coming Soon" tag at the end of the commercial either. It said Mach Tower now at Bush Gardens.

I have the commercial saved on my DVR and I may try to see how some pictures would come out taken off the TV.

If you are in Hampton Roads, the commercial was on Fox 43.

Mach Tower ...

Cool. My only issue is the close up "feel"; and was never the look from a distance.

A different set of corporate principles are installing these attractions. Accept it or not, it's not the same BGW style. It happened at Disney. It happened at Six Flags. It was/is happening at Cedar Fair. SeaWorld parks are not immune when corporate shifts. It really shifted last year.

Time will tell.

2012 ...

IMO, I don't believe we'll see a 90 degree vertical launch no matter the designer. If Zierer, forget Wicked except the launch systems. I figure the inside show building won't be anything major. That drawing looks very likely. The building is very narrow versus the outside turns (look and compare).

If those details are true; expect a Wicked launch integration (Maverick style ascent and flat) and something like .... http://rcdb.com/8642.htm or http://rcdb.com/3510.htm. Think Thirteen with launches more than anything.

I watched the proposal video and the height of the poles were negligible vs. technical speak. I translate that as no major towers or heights. Pure family ride; a smart move right now. Same goes for the drop tower.

All guesstimates.

Cool. My only issue is the close up "feel"; and was never the look from a distance.

Mach Tower looks really cool up close! The ride pretty much dominates the Oktoberfest area and it's hard not to look up at the massive tower. Seeing the expressions on the people as they stand underneath the tower is also pretty funny. The ride still isn't complete yet so we'll just wait and see!

I know it isn't real, because the ride isn't even testing yet (that we know of); but, it shows the ride car and the drop sequence like its running. In the commercial the car is round, instead of the square car pictured in the concept art. Also there is a large yellow sleeve (?) above with designs on it that appear to match up with the large yellow top on the tower.

The concept art actually shows a circular car, not a square car (at least it looks that way from the brochure). The park map also shows a round car.

Also there is a large yellow sleeve above with designs on it that appear to match up with the large yellow top on the tower.

You must be talking about the catch car. The park map shows a blue/white filmstrip-style design for (what I think is) the catch car. Perhaps BGW decided to change the colors or the catch car was originally gonna be a yellow color.

Also, I think the commercial gives away the "secret." In one of the rider's reaction the person mentions a music track that goes along with the ride up the tower. She goes on to say ... you circle the tower while going up, you stop, the music stops, and then you fall.

This is interesting. I kinda predicted a music/cool lighting package along with a rotating car. I'm not 100% sure how a gyro drop works, but I'm thinking there's a mechanism on the tower that causes the seats to rotate. (that might explain why the "brakes" go up around 70% of the tower). If you could post screenshots or the actual video, that would be really cool!

Quick note on Mach Tower.

1) I''m personally not a big fan of the brakes taking up most of the tower. It looks like there's little pure freefall before the car hits the brakes.

2) The tower is looking good, but the concept art shows a white stripe going down the side to match Oktoberfest's colors. I'm kinda hoping this happens, but since the stripe wasn't painted on during manufacturing, this probably won't happen. I won't complain about this too much.

3) Hopefully they should be testing this week. Last I checked, it looked like they were putting the catch car on. Decorations are probably gonna be put into the tower this week. The park left a crack in the giant walls so you can take a quick peek inside.

As for the new coaster....

I'm predicting this will be another major family ride (BBW/Cheetaka) and with Zierer in the mix, a pure vertical launch as one of the "world first elements" doesn't seem too far off! I won't jump to conclusions or set my expectations too high for now. Considering Wicked looks like a solid ride, I'm pretty excited for this addition regardless of manufacturer.

IMO, I don't believe we'll see a 90 degree vertical launch no matter the designer. If Zierer, forget Wicked except the launch systems. I figure the inside show building won't be anything major. That drawing looks very likely. The building is very narrow versus the outside turns (look and compare).

You never really know... BGW has a LOT of area to work with (considering they've got the old DF spot and BBW's area) and the size of the building could be huge. 2011's been full of surprises so I'm expecting a few more to come out of BGW in coming years.

Edited by netdvn

I watched the proposal video and the height of the poles were negligible vs. technical speak. I translate that as no major towers or heights. Pure family ride; a smart move right now. Same goes for the drop tower.

All guesstimates.

That would be in line with the complaint that BGW lost a "family coaster" (of sorts) when the Big Bad Wolf was removed.