TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Just got from the park, and in person, the tower isn't as ugly than in the pictures. And it definitely isn't topped off yet, it's got a good couple of pieces to be placed up yet.

Oh, and the pretzels were delicious!

no way the tower is topped off yet, despite the flag on top. it looks like it has another 100' or so to go. does anyone know the capacity of the seating ring? it looks small, i would guess like 25 people or so. i like KD's drop tower - 56 people a pop. as far as aesthetics, i think the tower looks a little clunky now, but the finished product will probably be fine. i've wanted a drop tower at BG for like 10 years, so i'm pretty much satisfied.

^^I think Mach Tower is supposed to carry 30 passengers at one time. It's a smaller ride than Drop Tower at KD, but I can't remember the last time I saw that ride running at full capacity.

Edited by cfc

Those attached plates and especially those clamps create the mechanical and flat 6 sided look. It looks carny. Yes, they are big poles, but this is the first big pole I felt looked bad. It's magnified even more being based in BGW! I think that's why I've expressed my opinion. It's BGW. If it were Six Flags, carny works.

Considering Oktoberfest IS a giant carnival and the area at BGW is based off of said carnival, it works. Heck, Oktoberfest is the carny-est section of the park anyway (along with Festa Italia). Just add a Schwarzkopf and some extreme rides and you'll have an authentic Oktoberfest replica.

The tower is getting taller and taller every day! It's a bit taller than Griffon at this point, so BGW is working at a good pace to get this thing up and testing. I can definitely see the tower getting topped off by this weekend.

Those attached plates and especially those clamps create the mechanical and flat 6 sided look. It looks carny. Yes, they are big poles, but this is the first big pole I felt looked bad. It's magnified even more being based in BGW! I think that's why I've expressed my opinion. It's BGW. If it were Six Flags, carny works.

S&S Towers look great due to their lattice design. It's like Intamin box track. The structure looks good from an architectural standpoint: architect or GP. They don't feel mechanical and clunky.

Personally, I think S&S towers are butt ugly and even more "carny," but that's my opinion. As for Mach Tower, I'll reserve my final opinion for when it's finished.

oh wow good find. looks like a short ride overall - leaves the existing BBW station, snakes around into some new large building (where the launch/launches are probably), and then snakes back down to the rhine before being done. hard to say for sure w/o more details, but it appears small.

Considering Oktoberfest IS a giant carnival and the area at BGW is based off of said carnival, it works. Heck, Oktoberfest is the carny-est section of the park anyway (along with Festa Italia). Just add a Schwarzkopf and some extreme rides and you'll have an authentic Oktoberfest replica.

Excellent point there. The rest of the area is still more refined, but I'll give you that. Carny for BGW still looks like Disney vs. Six and Cedar. Again, I'm glad they are getting a drop tower regardless. It's a smart investment.

Personally, I think S&S towers are butt ugly and even more "carny," but that's my opinion.

I agree ... their first installations (i.e. the smaller ones) aren't so pretty. Power Tower and other larger multi-tower projects have a monumental feel to them. Mach Tower looks great from a distance. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and reading your report.

Hit the park today for my first time this year. It was very crowded and we decided not to stay real long. I got a few shots of the freshly topped Mach Tower for all to enjoy.

IMG_0027.jpg.782e490cf387d0ee0c120ebe7d2f971e.jpg

Parking lot, Mach on the left

IMG_0038.jpg.7b8318382b182ebb8826f6f79f2035c4.jpg

Mach from Italy

IMG_0044.jpg.22717b4d8795f3f37f8e77ea0439a9a8.jpg

Saw the new Italian version of Monster Stomp

IMG_0048.jpg.e53626f03a216bf84d2f135468059a19.jpg

Signage

IMG_0049.jpg.14f83f5c7156ba0b3f0ab0c9ea94866b.jpg

looks tall to me

Edited by esvadj