TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

An interesting bit of news for us West Coasters I saw on tonight on the local news... It is estimated that the radiation plume that's blowing from Japan could make it to California by tomorrow some time. However, experts are saying that it is rather minimal with how much has dispersed, therefore we should have nothing to worry about...and that we should worry more about our next 'big one.'

http://www.ktvu.com/video/27233571/index.html

So thought I'd share that with you guys.

I am not worried at all. The amount hitting the coast is extremely small. It really will have no effect. Radiation is not like cyanide or some other deadly substance. A small dose of cyanide can kill you, a little spike in radiation won't do anything. I bet pumping gas and breathing the fumes does way more harm than the tiny amount of radiation that will hit us, if it does. Remember, rain will nock it into the ocean and disperse it.

What kind of radiation is this? (I know I sound dumb) but aren't most types able to just fly threw most substances except lead?

No. Most forms of radiation cannot penetrate paper. Gamma can, but gamma rays tend to be emitted only by aggressively radioactive substances, which due to their density, don't tend to travel well in air. Gamma works sort of like a lightbulb -- if you can see it, it can get to you, but it doesn't really travel as fallout.

If you want to avoid additional exposure because of material traveling from Japan, skip the banana for breakfast. You're going to receive less than a Banana Equivalent Dose.

I bet pumping gas and breathing the fumes does way more harm than the tiny amount of radiation that will hit us, if it does.

Actually, fuel pumps nowadays have Vapor Recovery, so fumes and vapors do not escape. That's why most of the "mom and pop" gas stations are closing, or have closed down. All of the required permits and modifications needed to comply with current emission control regulations are simply too expensive.

I bet pumping gas and breathing the fumes does way more harm than the tiny amount of radiation that will hit us, if it does.

Actually, fuel pumps nowadays have Vapor Recovery, so fumes and vapors do not escape. That's why most of the "mom and pop" gas stations are closing, or have closed down. All of the required permits and modifications needed to comply with current emission control regulations are simply too expensive.

I've never been to a gas stations where I couldn't smell any trace of gasoline so less fumes may be escaping, but some still are escaping.

I am not worried at all. The amount hitting the coast is extremely small. It really will have no effect. Radiation is not like cyanide or some other deadly substance. A small dose of cyanide can kill you, a little spike in radiation won't do anything. I bet pumping gas and breathing the "emission controlled reduced amount of fumes" does way more harm than the tiny amount of radiation that will hit us, if it does. Remember, rain will nock it into the ocean and disperse it.

Fixed

• 2 weeks later...
TOKYO (Nikkei)--Oriental Land Co. (4661) will reopen in early April its Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea theme parks that have been closed since March 12, after a massive earthquake struck northeastern Japan.

The firm said it is still weighing when to resume operations because the theme parks are located in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, an area subject to rolling blackouts by Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501).

Oriental Land said it may hold off opening the theme parks at night or keep one or the other closed.

The outer walls of a large roller coaster were partially damaged by the earthquake, and liquefaction was observed at some parking lots outside the complex.

The operator plans to complete repairs before reopening the parks.

But, said an Oriental Land official, "It will be difficult (to reopen) because you do not know whether rolling blackouts will be carried out until just before" they happen.

The the reopening of the parks may be postponed until after April 6, the company said.

Link to article

Japan, has been rocked again by a 7.1 earthquake and the country has yet again been placed on Tsunami warning.

Just heard about this on Yahoo.....I really hope the Tsunami doesnt happen and it just stays a warning!

Tokyo Disneyland will reopen Friday, April 15th. Tokyo Disney Sea will remain closed.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110410003475.htm

Tokyo Disneyland to reopen Friday

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Tokyo Disneyland in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, will resume operations Friday after being closed since the March 11 earthquake, the amusement park's operator Oriental Land Co. said.

But given the electricity shortage caused by power plant shutdowns in the wake of the March 11 disaster, Tokyo Disneyland will not operate after 6 p.m. for the time being.

Hotels around the amusement park will likely also return to full operations gradually, sources said.

The park operator said it has put off the reopening of Tokyo Disney Sea, a separate amusement park adjacent to Tokyo Disneyland, until late this month at the earliest.

According to a senior official at the company, sections of Tokyo Disneyland's carpark were damaged due to liquefaction, but facilities inside the amusement park suffered no major damage.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/04/update-tokyo-disneyland-to-reopen-on-april-15/

We have some news to share from Tokyo Disneyland following last month’s earthquake. The Tokyo Disneyland theme park, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Ambassador Hotel are all scheduled to reopen to guests this Friday, April 15. A portion of every ticket sold through May 14 will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross and the park will operate during daylight hours only in an effort to conserve power.

Tokyo DisneySea and Hotel MiraCosta will remain closed but officials with The Oriental Land Company (owners and operators of the Tokyo Disney Resort) are working to reopen both as soon as possible.

Please check back here on the Disney Parks Blog for future updates from Tokyo Disney Resort.

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/04/20110420_03e.pdf

Tokyo Disney Resort® announced today that it will reopen Tokyo DisneySea® Park on April 28, 2011 after a hiatus since March 12 following the Great East Japan Earthquake. Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta®, which is located inside the Park, will also resume operations on the same day on April 28, 2011. In addition, Tokyo Disneyland® will resume operating into the nighttime hours starting April 23, 2011. Please see below for further information.

Oriental Land Co., Ltd. sends heartfelt condolences to all those affected by the disaster and prays for the earliest possible recovery of the affected areas.

Tokyo DisneySea Reopening Details

Reopening Date: April 28, 2011

Operating Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (hours may change depending on the day)

Ticket Prices: Regular prices

Note: The new nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” and the new character greeting facility Mickey & Friends’ Greeting Trails will also open on the same day. The Tokyo DisneySea 10th anniversary event will be postponed.

Tokyo Disneyland Operating Hours (from April 23)

Operating Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (hours may change depending on the day)

Ticket Prices: Regular prices

Note: “Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights” will resume with the start of nighttime operations at the Park. However, as was originally scheduled, the parade will be suspended from May 9 through July 7 in preparation for its upgraded version. During this period, the special parade for rainy nights titled “Nightfall Glow” will be performed every night.

Power-Saving Efforts

A number of efforts are being made to conserve electricity in the Disney Parks and the offices, such as reducing lighting, adjusting the temperatures of air conditioning units, etc. Please see the “Power-Saving Efforts at the Disney Themed Parks” http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/04/20110419_03e.pdf for more details.

Donations

As with Tokyo Disneyland, 300 yen will be donated for each guest visiting Tokyo DisneySea through May 14. In addition, charity wristbands will be sold for 300 yen each, with the price in its entirety being given for donation. Furthermore, 1,000 yen per room per night of stay will be donated from the room charges of guests staying at the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta® through May 14.