Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby lucazferrazCBMR » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

I was really enjoying the report, untill you say:
"A cool bath if you're bird. Or Brazilian."

I mean, I enjoyed the whole report, but I didn't understand the joke and I must confess, I felt kinda offended.
You see, I am brazilian, but I don't bath in fontains, specially in a jungle environment.

I don't know if you've ever been to Brazil, but it's a lot different down here than that scenery on the picture.

Please don't take it bad, I had to say how I felt. And if you wanna check out how Brazil looks like, I'll be glad to show you around in Rio, where I live, and take you to visit our parks and ride our coasters. Seriously.

All the best,
Lucaz

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

^ It's nothing to do with the jungle setting. In certain Florida theme park circles, fountains are sometimes referred to as "Brazilian baths," because...

Orlando theme parks get a lot of tour groups from Brazil. These groups often do a lot of waiting around in central locations (where there tend to be fountains), especially at the end of the day. And these large groups of bored/excited (mostly) teenagers frequently take their shoes/sandals off and put their feet in the water--a practice that is considered humorously unacceptable in "US culture."

Thus, "Brazilian baths."

That probably didn't help your opinion much, but there you go.
Erik Allen Elness

Postby lucazferrazCBMR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:06 pm

^sorry I missunderstood it. That makes a lot more sense now. It's not a prejudment, which makes me glad.
I know how brazilian teenagers behave in parks. I heard once they threw a Mickey in EPCOT's lake.
By the way, I'm sorry about this attitude, not all of us are like that. Hopefully we'll learn how to behave someday..smile

Still, my invitation is sincere. Whenever you come to Brazil, contact me, and I'll be very happy to show you around.

If you wanna see pics of Brazilian parks, check my club's website: http://www.cbmr.com.br

Once again, sorry for the missunderstanding.

Regards,
Lucaz

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm

^Trust me Lucaz, Erik did not mean his comments to cause you disrespect or stereotype your entire country.

It's just the truth that there is a lot of bad behavior from the teenage groups that come over to Orlando. I'm sure the same could be said with groups of American teens traveling somewhere with minimal adult supervision.

Postby lucazferrazCBMR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Elissa,

don't worry, I just wasn't familiar with the term, but I understand it now. I'm cool with it.

Still waiting TPR to come down here. Hopefully I'll make it to US by may or june this year and I'll contact TPR to see if anyone would go with me to Cedar Point. Unfortunately I won't be able to go in august like Felix or Guilherme (wich makes me very jealous).

Thanks for the concern.

regards,
Lucaz

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:01 pm

A couple of days ago, we took a trip down to Key West. Neither of us had ever been before, but it looked like there was a fair amount of "Erik & Smisty stuff" to do there, and I had always heard good things. Even the drive down, it was said, was gorgeous; "something everyone has to experience at least once in their lifetime."

Well, in our opinion, the 'natural beauty' aspect of the keys is a bit overrated. Still, we had a lot of fun. And you'll be seeing some detailed updates from some of the attractions in this part of the world from us soon. But this is not that. This is just an impressionistic overview of some of the cool, wacky stuff we saw driving and walking around The Florida Keys.
05P4229522.jpg
A lot of the drive down looks like this. There's lots of water on the other side of those trees, though. Which I bet is really cool looking.
10P4229503.jpg
The more built-up areas do have lots of interesting business signs and giant statues to entice people, though. So that's pretty cool.
15P4229562.JPG
The famous 7-mile bridge. And the old 7-mile bridge. Which appears to have been one-lane. So I guess I can see why they built a new one.
20IMGP1012.JPG
Man, fishing is really complicated.
25P4229579.JPG
The water is nice. But it's all pretty much the same.
27IMGP0991.JPG
There were some more things we might have checked out on the way down, but we went so early that most of them weren't open yet. (Early was definitely the way to go, though. Once the crowds did catch up with us, things began to look quite miserable. Luckily, we were pretty much done by then.)
30IMGP1041.jpg
I was really hoping there would be more cool Florida Key signage than there was. In fact, this is pretty much it. And this was erected by the rotary club.
37P4229600.JPG
So, basically, Key West is a beach town without any beach. (Note: I'm sure there is some beach somewhere. But it sure is well hidden.)
39IMGP1045.JPG
The Key West Art & History Museum. With limited time, this sounded a bit too dry for us. Nice building, though.
42P4229603.JPG
The toy store in this building was seriously cool. Like, so cool it's going to get its own update.
45P4229606.JPG
Sweets of Paradise's chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick. This was Misty's only bite. Then she handed it to me. (And I'm sure she's going to love me for this picture.)
47IMG_0606.jpg
Okay, seriously, who dyes their dog blue?
48IMGP1155.jpg
The most boring Ripley's building I've ever seen.
49P4229923.JPG
I kind of regret not doing the Shipwreck Museum; Looks like it offers some pretty good views.
50P4229697.JPG
Conch is almost as big of a deal here as key lime pie.
51IMGP1067.JPG
Most (though not all) of the really touristy stuff is on the Northwest corner of the island.
54P4229698.jpg
Sir, you can't park your boat here.
56P4229708.JPG
This was both the best and worst aquarium we've ever been to. But you'll just have to wait for its update for an explanation of that.
57P4229694.JPG
I have no interest in shells, but I still went in.
58P4229691.jpg
Sponge Man!
65P4229910.JPG
I'm sure some different-kind-of-nerd-than-me can identify which cruise ship this is. All I can tell you is that it has Mickey on the side of the smokestack.
67IMG_0622.jpg
Now this is more like what I pictured!

Um...how do we get over there?
68P4220054.JPG
What Key West is really all about, though, is drinking and fishing.
70P4220059.JPG
This is (or was) apparently a turtle museum. We totally would have gone had it been open.
72IMGP1208.JPG
I think they made up all those places.
74P4220065.JPG
The problem with beach towns, of course, is that they're mostly for, and by, bums.
75P4220066.jpg
It's sort of difficult to get excited about mermaids if you're an A$$ man.

(And, yes, my first draft of this caption was simply: "Boobies!")
77P4220067.jpg
Key West says, "FUDGE YOU, HAWAII!"
78P4229938.JPG
The problem with beach towns....
80P4220071.JPG
Okay, this place is actually pretty awesome if you like key lime pie. Plus, they have ice cream.
82P4229598.JPG
Wait, key lime pie OUTLET?? Like, for all the slightly irregular pies?
87P4229928.JPG
But where Key West wins me back over is with its love of ice cream. There are ice cream shops all over the place, and most of them make their own stuff. This is Mattheessen's.
89IMGP1153.JPG
And this is Polar Bear, where I'm having (natch) key lime pie ice cream. (It was good, too, though Polar Bear was easily the most expensive of the five or six ice cream places we visited.)
90P4220080.JPG
And, yes, more ice cream!
91IMGP1207.JPG
Hey, anybody want some ice cream? (This one was my favorite, Mattheessen's was Smisty's.)
95P4220077.JPG
This was closed by the time we made it there. Not sure we would have done it anyway. We would probably need three or four days to do all the touristy stuff there is in Key West. Problem is, I'm not sure we liked Key West enough to go back that much.
97IMGP1216.jpg
The Southernmost Point Marker. Note the line to take your photo in front of it.
98IMGP1217.jpg
I said, "Note the line."

I recommend you get to Key West early, if you go--and do this first, if it interests you. As for us...
99P4220081.jpg
We are outta here.

Thanks for reading our very uncomprehensive Florida Keys overview.

This is the part where you tell us how awesome all the stuff we didn't do actually is, and make us want to go back!
Last edited by ernierocker on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 am.
Erik Allen Elness

Postby lucazferrazCBMR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

I've been to Key West when I was 13 and traveled to US to visit Orlando. It really impressed me how "inside a movie" the town looked like.

Cool TR. Hope I can come back there some day.

regards,
Lucaz

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazydaveh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

great stuff! How long was the drive from Orlando?
Beer... It helps coasters go higher and faster!

Dave

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/78611756e2677af30ecbe7f169e00926.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/32a684dcd0f18289ee3e5a31292b8f5a.jpg[/img][/url]

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

^ Generally, 6 1/2 to 7 hours is a safe bet.

What Key West is really all about, though, is drinking and fishing.

My friend, truer words have never been spoken. And that's exactly why I LOVE and miss Key West SOOOOOO much.

Breakfast at Blue Moon should not be missed on your next visit!

How do you get to that small island you mentioned? Well, you pay an exorbitant amount of cash, jump on a small boat, and end up at Sunset Key. Something I hope to do next October. ;)

Loved this report!
67img_0622.jpg
Last edited by BeemerBoy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

"Other kind of nerd" checking in here...most likely the Disney Magic.

My favorite memory of Key West is eating lunch at some restaurant that gave kids (I was a kid at the time) squirt guns to shoot the seagulls to keep them away. It was amazing. I'm sure PETA has stopped this practice by now, but it was pretty much the best meal ever.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!