Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 670: New Texas Giant switches to 5 car trains
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby KCForce » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Okay, after seeing this POV, I think we very may well see the NTAG move into the #1 steel coaster position in Mitch Hawkers poll, for sure it will rank in the top 10 or 5. Regardless of where it ranks in any potential polls, it looks like one hell of a ride. You know how we all got all excited about the sideways camelback before the cutthrough under the lift? Yeah, it looks sweet still, but the drop before it that goes through the lift looks even better. Its quick with a head chopper! The 3rd over bank looks great too. I wasn't too sure about this redo of my former favorite wood coaster into a steel coaster, but man, I think the NTAG will be better than the original. Peace.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby dragonskeep » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:See if this works.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=592327106594

Thank you.

That ride is quite sick. No way I will get out there this year but I plan to attend the new F1 race soon so I will drive over and check this out. There are still great looking rides even here in America that I am unaware of, Titan is the newest on that list. I have also never been to Carrabbas.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 pm

KCForce wrote: You know how we all got all excited about the sideways camelback before the cutthrough under the lift? Yeah, it looks sweet still, but the drop before it that goes through the lift looks even better.

You beat me to it. Every time I watched that drop on the video, my thoughts went to "OMFG film that again from the back seat!"

I think the airtime on this ride will not be limited to the front of the train... which will make this bad boy a back seat must-do for sure. All of the ejectors without missing any floaters.

Wait... I didn't see any floaters, all I saw were ejectors. You think the underside of those lap bars have cushy padding? I foresee bruised thighs!

As for the delayed opening, we haven't seen any train other than the teal one on the circuit yet. I'm guessing that in addition to installing the special effects, they're going to need to cycle the other two trains the minimum number of hours and have them go through a final inspection before they can run them with people. That takes time, especially if you can't cycle trains while workers are still installing effects, etc.

It would NOT be a good idea to open this thing with only one train running!

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Maybe its just me and maybe its the quality of the video, but it looks like it takes those hills after the MCBR fairly slowly. I'm guessing its just the video, but I don't see a lot of airtime on those hills. I really hope I'm wrong, and I probably am (as usual :lmao: ), so we'll see once this thing opens.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TXThrillster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Is it just me or was that brake run higher on the Old Giant .... i'm going to miss that drop. Everything else is definitely a BEAST! :b

Postby KCForce » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

DiSab wrote:Maybe its just me and maybe its the quality of the video, but it looks like it takes those hills after the MCBR fairly slowly. I'm guessing its just the video, but I don't see a lot of airtime on those hills. I really hope I'm wrong, and I probably am (as usual :lmao: ), so we'll see once this thing opens.

I hope you're wrong! :lmao: I didn't think it looked too slow.

texcoaster wrote:I think the airtime on this ride will not be limited to the front of the train... which will make this bad boy a back seat must-do for sure. All of the ejectors without missing any floaters.

I agree with you, I don't think there will be a "bad" seat on the entire train.

TXThrillster wrote:Is it just me or was that brake run higher on the Old Giant .... i'm going to miss that drop. Everything else is definitely a BEAST! :b

Yes, the brake run used to be higher. It still looked like a good drop to me. The original was one of my favorite spots on the Giant. I guesstimate from the construction pictures that is was about 10 feet, maybe 15 feet higher, which can make a difference in speed, but with out the double helix to go through now, it looks to me that the train finishes the Magic Carpet at about the same clip it did before the remodel/re-profile/rehab/Frankenstein (what would you call what they did to it besides awesome?) treatment.

And yes, I said Magic Carpet. It's done, not exactly the same, but I think we should be able to go back to calling it the Magic Carpet. Of course I guess I *should* wait until I ride it and judge that part of the ride for myself.:br

Postby BrandonR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 am

DiSab wrote:Maybe its just me and maybe its the quality of the video, but it looks like it takes those hills after the MCBR fairly slowly. I'm guessing its just the video, but I don't see a lot of airtime on those hills. I really hope I'm wrong, and I probably am (as usual :lmao: ), so we'll see once this thing opens.

We also have to remember that this is basically the slowest the ride is going to get. The trains and wheels are still being broken in, and just wait til an July/August day with 100°F+ temperatures... The grease will heat up and I'm sure the trains will be tearing through the track (just hopefully not too much, where they had melting wheel problems like with Titan).

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 am

Just rode the front....amazing! Super smooth (like even smoother than Titan) and I got about 14 moments of air! Hopefully i will get to ride the back soon and share that experience. Nothing allowed to go with us from the holding area to the station but the parks releasing videos anyways!

Everyone book flights to Texas now!

P.s. the airtime ranges from El Toro strength to nice floater...great variety!

P.s.s. - if you haven't seen it already, here's a link to the POV: http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=592327106594

Here are a few photos:

Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby webgoof » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 am

Still at the park, doing some waitng. I never rode the old Texa Giant, so I can't compare it, but having just ridden it twice, I'm willing to bet it won't be comperable. It really is a holy effin eff kind of ride. I was in the middle, and got some major airtime. Its gonna definitly be a success.
My incredibly, laughably sad stats:
Theme parks: 5 (Disneyland, California Adventure, SFMagic Mountain, SF Over Texas, SF Fiesta Texas)
Wood: 3 (Rattler, Terminator, Judge Roy Scream)
Steel: 26

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am

Question, if it's already been answered, my apologies.

I noticed on certain parts of the ride, they didn't have the ledgers (that's what the walkway is called, right?), are they still working on that, or is it pretty much finished?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!