Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Permanent Tourist

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Electerik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm

There's a lot of mini golf in Florida. In fact, without bothering to do any research into the question at all, I'm going to go ahead and speculate that there's more mini golf here than in any other state. Unfortunately, there is a certain sameness to most of it, with very little in the way of what you might call "funk." And, as a guy who spends most of his days-off photographing tourist traps, I find that slightly disappointing. Luckily, I recently uncovered a previously-unknown-to-me mini golf course right here in Orlando that has funkiness in spades. So that's nice.

Gator Golf
02P1253567.JPG
It's located on I-drive. And by "on," I mean it has a toe-hold on I-drive. This is literally its entire frontage. Blink as you're driving by and you'll miss it. You might even miss it on foot.
03P1253390.JPG
Little gators out front. Kind of like how Congo River does. But that's where the similarities end.
04P1253397.jpg
There's one 18-hole course and a show(!) Note the cool murals on the *inside* of the ticket shack, so the employees will feel good about what they're selling.
06IMGP8831.JPG
Most mini golf places all have pretty much the same assortment of colored golf balls. But Gator Golf distinguishes itself in the respect, as well. Viva Canadia!

Incidentally, this golf ball was one of the things we sent monkeyoverlord71 as part of the "Bag O' Feces" that never arrived. :(
08P1253402.JPG
Smisty loves her dad. Behind her are the restrooms, which I only mentioned because...
09IMGP8832.jpg
...this picture is in the ladies room. (Um...photo by speedmetal. Ahem.)
10P1253404.JPG
Next to the restrooms, looking back towards the front, is this weirdness. (Apparently, Payless Shoe Source has a lot of water they need to get rid of.)
12P1253406.JPG
Note that the only way to get back to everything else is to walk on the green of hole 1. So if you're just there for the show, you pretty much have to interfere with the golf (if its busy).
13P1253415.jpg
I know this isn't the best photo, but just look at how random this is: Mini golf, fake rocks, wind chimes, a model ship, and a snake...in a mill.
14P3278346.jpg
"Dude, don't dis my wind chimes."
16P1253419.jpg
Hillbilly trompe l'oeil, a ship's wheel, and signage for a lazy river. I think I'm in love.
18P1253420.JPG
Yes, Gator Golf, be happy with what you are. Because you are marvelous.
19P1253429.JPG
Um...what?
20P1253434.JPG
Oh....
21P1253453.JPG
"Go ahead, hit the ball in the water."
22IMGP8848.JPG
The gators made me miss. Oh, the shame.
23P1253439.JPG
Well, why wouldn't there be a giant pot there?
25IMGP8850.JPG
Don't even worry about the alligators; Japanese ghost winds will protect you.
27P1253447.JPG
And also there's turtles.
30P1253464.jpg
Mini golf here, big giant alligator there. His name is Doofy. I'm guessing that's to keep him in his place.
35P1253472.JPG
Some of the middle holes are slightly dull, thematically.
36IMGP8869.JPG
Still, they offer their own unique challenges.
38P1253474.JPG
If I have a complaint about this course, it's that there seem to be several water-features that have been abandoned or converted into planters or rock gardens.
42P1253485.JPG
Most of the greens are in great shape, though damage to this block of wood has made it impossible to use as a ramp.
57P1253515.JPG
Climbing up. Note the tub o' rocks.
60P1253520.JPG
This hole is weird. You putt hard underneath this thing, which flings you up onto the top, where you then roll off. Unless you're my ball, in which case you get stuck up there somehow. Plus, you know, birdhouses. And that black strap center screen? Why, that's for the roll-up door, of course.
63P1253531.JPG
I dunno, pick one.
64P1253535.JPG
But either way, you have to go down the rape stairs.
65P1253538.JPG
Oh, so that's where they go....!
66IMGP8895.JPG
AAAAHHHH!!!!
68P1253548.JPG
I expect a big finish.
71P1253562.JPG
Hmmm, rocks in a building with graffiti-covered walls. Well, okay, but can we make it weirder?
72P1253557.jpg
Like, by being dumped unceremoniously into the driveway next door? Perfect!

I've actually been sitting on this update for a little while, because I really didn't feel like it would be complete without the Gator Adventure Show. Luckily, an opportunity to see that finally presented itself. So here you go.
80P3278345.JPG
Unfortunately, my better half couldn't be here for the show. Therefore, for the rest of this update, the part of Smisty shall be played by TPR member Andrew "Pufferfish" Singleton.
82P3278349.jpg
Hey, they added a fish tank!
85P3288362.JPG
Okay, on with the show. This guy comes out...
86P3288372.JPG
...drags a gator around by the tail...
88P3288390.JPG
...and then sits on him.
90P3288386.jpg
"Dude, I didn't know Ralph was gay!" - "Depends on how many beers he's had."
92P3288405.jpg
And then you can come sit on a gator yourself. (Although, I was all impressed by the guy until I saw that anyone can do it.)
94P3278332.jpg
Smisty really wanted to to sit on the gator (which isn't like her at all), but had to settle for petting a little one out front instead.

Hey, gator-sittin' on ain't free, ya know!
96P3278342.jpg
I had to stand on a fence to get this shot, but I think it was worth it.

So yeah, basically, Gator Golf is awesome and you should go there if you like mini golf that is awesome.
Erik Allen Elness

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Neat little stop. Thanks for the update!
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

I eat 10,000 rancid testicles for breakfast.

Postby monkeyoverlord71 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm really quite angry about that parcel. I blame Obama...

...and the rape stairs.
Official Big Mike Cheerleader!!!
PHOTOGRAPHY!!! http://martin-a-cumming.deviantart.com/

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Those are some decent size gators for a minigolf place. Usually they advertise 'Live Gators' and it's little babies that you could kill by stepping on!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm

monkeyoverlord71 wrote:I'm really quite angry about that parcel.

I'm slowly piecing together a replacement. But it won't be as cool because I don't want Scotland to be able to break my heart again.
Erik Allen Elness

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

^^ I know. In this picture, is there seriously just an unguarded chain link fence between the patrons and a gator large enough to snack on annoying children? Not that I'm opposed, just making sure my eyes don't deceive me.

Oh, and you're still a comic genius in my book.
gator.jpg
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Do you have any idea how many mini golf places you have been too?

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby beyondthepalace » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 am

I past by this place a lot but always forget about it when we are out on our mini golf outings. There was a special for it on a Groupon-type site not so long ago...should have gotten it.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby SamanthaMc92 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 am

Ive been there and it's one of the best mini golfs ive been to. (mainly because it has some character!)

and i like gators :)
It's WIN WIN :lmao:
I want to ride every single ride in the WORLD by the time i'm 30 - Do you think i'm being overambitious? ;)

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Great photos!

I see Erik is a mini-golf enthusaist. I can see it now...he will count the number of mini-golf credits and make a geeky sign for his 100th credit. He will create a website called www.minigolfreview.com. Then he will set up Club MGR (Mini-Golf Review) and arrange for discounts at various mini-golf places. Finally, he will have mini-golf trips to numerous countries. The trips will have ERT and backstage tours!

:)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!