Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Permanent Tourist

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Electerik » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 am

The Orlando International Airport has a Disney store, a Universal store, and even a SeaWorld/Busch Gardens store. It also has a lot of planes and stuff. But that's not what brought us out there. No, we ventured out to MCO yesterday for a far nerdier reason....

In 2007, a documentary came out called The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It was about the rivalry of two men who were both chasing the all-time high score for Donkey Kong. (No, really.) The upstart challenger was Steve Wiebe, and the long-time record-holder and mustache-twirling villain of the film was Florida-resident and entrepreneur Billy Mitchell.

But lest you think Billy feels slandered by his portrayal in the film, he very recently opened an arcade celebrating it....

The King of Kong Arcade
02P3318742.JPG
In truth, we're not really gamers, but we did see the movie (on the recommendation of a friend), and being who we are, we just had to check this out for ourselves.
03IMGP0694.JPG
Yay, we found it!
06P3318727.JPG
It's actually rather small. In fact, this is pretty much the whole thing. And they don't even have a Donkey Kong machine. However, we spoke to the attendant on duty who said that they should be getting one in the next week or two. He also said that Billy is there quite frequently and is actually a pretty good guy.
07P3318716.JPG
The stuff that was behind me while I was taking the previous photo.
09P3318717.JPG
The merchandise counter, featuring limited-edition King of Kong Arcade T-shirts autographed by Billy Mitchell, and his line of hot sauces.

We would have played the pinball machine, but apparently they just got it and hadn't set it up yet.
75P3318741.JPG
Autographed shirt #104, a gift for the friend who told us to watch the movie.

Now you go watch it.

And then buy us some t-shirts.
Last edited by Electerik on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:53 pm.
Erik Allen Elness

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:39 am

That is the worst execution of an idea in the history of mankind. How do you open an "arcade" (I use that term very loosely in this case) celebrating a classic video game, and not have at least one classic video game in it........especially the one the film centers around?!?!?*

As a child of the 80's, I'm almost embarrassed and insulted by his efforts on that place. It's bad when Erik and Smisty's humor can't even save your place.

* Yes, folks, I realize they plan to receive one, but still, the place opened without it. That's business plan FAIL right there.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby speedmetal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 am

BeemerBoy wrote:That is the worst execution of an idea in the history of mankind. How do you open an "arcade" (I use that term very loosely in this case) celebrating a classic video game, and not have at least one classic video game in it........especially the one the film centers around?!?!?*

You sound like Erik at the airport. ;) I was surprised at how small it was, I assumed it would have been bigger.

Teacups Make Me Sick wrote:What was wrong with the show?

There wasn't anything wrong with the show. Erik just isn't a show guy. I could have done without the pretending to be in a submarine but the divers got in the cage talked a little bit and then left the cage to sit in the middle of the exhibit, which I had never seen before. They mainly talked about the animals and how important it was to protect them. At the end you could do a photo op with the divers in the cage. I think they were just trying a little too hard.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby beyondthepalace » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Electerik wrote:
beyondthepalace wrote:I hear that there is some sort of Penguin encounter/meet n greet of some kind??

Allegedly. But after the dreadful shark diving show, and a failed attempt to see the otter show (which was prohibitively crowded, due to the otters not being in their exhibit during non-show times), we sort of gave up on the shows. Sorry.

No worries....I see that the Gatlinburg Aquarium has a new-ish penguin encounter/igloo/whatever...didn't make it to the aquarium last time but in June we will for sure.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Umm, at least the walls look cool. I would of expected the arcade to be filled with classic games instead of basketball and air hockey. I wonder if his competitor will ever open up his own arcade; wouldn't be that hard to one up him.

Thanks for the update as usual!
Snoochie Boochie

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:49 pm

The walls look pretty sweet, but where are the skeeball machines?!?
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Not For Sale » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Potential Erik and Smisty kill screen coming up. Hey guys, just want you to know there's a potential Erik and Smisty kill screen coming up. Hey, there's a potential Erik and Smisty kill screen coming up if you want to take a look.
-Bryan Stoll
Stupidity|Show|Self

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 am

BeemerBoy wrote:That is the worst execution of an idea in the history of mankind. How do you open an "arcade" (I use that term very loosely in this case) celebrating a classic video game, and not have at least one classic video game in it........especially the one the film centers around?!?!?*

As a child of the 80's, I'm almost embarrassed and insulted by his efforts on that place. It's bad when Erik and Smisty's humor can't even save your place.

Obviously, I agree with you. (Um...except for the part where you said I'm not funny.) But, consider this: Billy Mitchell is a genius. You and I are not. And while I would not pretend that I can figure out his entire strategy (which is no doubt deep and precise), this fact does inspire me to at least attempt to figure out some way in which the current set-up makes sense.

Obviously, Billy Mitchell loves classic video games. How could he not? Yet he is also nothing if not forward-looking. I would imagine that retail space at MCO does not come cheap, and as nice as the King of Kong theming is, if this arcade is to survive and prosper, it must surely do so as an arcade first--it must ensnare all the kids flying in and out of Orlando who've never heard of the documentary, and who are only vaguely aware that there used to be a game called Donkey Kong. With such limited floor-space, therefore, the need to fill it with the most modern games available is clear.

But, you say, surely they must have a Donkey Kong machine, simply to complete the theming, other consequences be damned! And you would be correct. And I am sure that Mr. Mitchell is far more aware of this than any of us. And this his where is true genius begins to take shape.

Already, he has managed to get media attention for what would normally be a very un-newsworthy event. (In fact, it could almost be a headline from The Onion: "New Arcade Opens at Airport.") And yes, almost every one of those stories has pointed out (often in rather snarky fashion) the lack of a Donkey Kong machine. Ah, but once they add one! Then all of those news outlets will begin running follow up stories: "King of Kong Arcade finally adds Donkey Kong Machine." Thus getting the arcade back into the spotlight a second time, with almost no additional effort. (Since, after all, there was always going to be a Donkey Kong machine eventually. Why not make it an event?) Then will come the "so-and-so sets new record on Donkey Kong machine in Billy Mitchell's own arcade" story, followed by "Billy Mitchell's arcade set to expand," "Second King of Kong Arcade to open in ______," and "Big Donkey Kong showdown set on Billy Mitchell's Home Turf."

Of course, this is all just my take on it. I may have many of the details wrong. But, I can assure you, BILLY MITCHELL does not.
Last edited by Electerik on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm.
Erik Allen Elness

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 am

speedmetal wrote: I was surprised at how small it was, I assumed it would have been bigger.

Thats what she said :lmao:

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I know the King of Kong update was rather short, but don't worry, I'm working on an all-new mini golf update as we speak. And this is not filler to push it to the next page at all.
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!