TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: 27 Parks in 6 Weeks

Okay this is my last update for this trip! Before I went on this trip I decided to predict what I thought my top 10 steel and wood coasters would be (only from the new coasters I was riding). Along with their rankings in the most current Mitch Hawker polls.

This was my list...

Wood

1. Boulder Dash (4)

2. El Toro (1)

3. Goliath (NA)

4. Outlaw Run (3)

5. Voyage (7)

6. Prowler (22)

7. The Beast (48)

8. Raven (28)

9. Phoenix (5)

10. Kentucky Rumbler (29)

Steel

1. Maverick (9)

2. Skyrush (7)

3. Millenium Force (14)

4. Bizarro (2)

5. Raging Bull (57)

6. Top Thrill Dragster (29)

7. Nitro (19)

8. Kingda Ka (72)

9. Banshee (NA)

10. Lightning Run (NA)

I can't explain to you WHY I thought I was going to like Raging Bull that much. I'm a strange person. Anyway here's the actual top 10's after riding 123 new coasters this summer.

Wood:

1. El Toro

2. Phoenix

3. Outlaw Run

4. Goliath

5. The Voyage (I preferred night rides on The Beast, but The Voyage was good in the day and at night...)

6. The Beast

7. Boulder Dash (My biggest regret on this trip was not riding it at night.)

8. Prowler

9. Kentucky Rumbler

10. The Raven

Steel:

1. Skyrush (If this wasn't a family site I would use lots of expletives to describe how much I loved this ride.)

2. Maverick

3. Millennium Force

4. Diamondback (These hypers are interchangeable, I think I gave it to Diamondback for awesome operations and having a splashdown and the newer B&M seating arrangement.)

5. Nitro

6. Lightning Run (I still think it's so weird so many people hated these restraints but I found them some of the most comfortable of the trip.)

7. Banshee (This was probably the best invert of the trip.)

8. Kingda Ka (Look it's not a great coaster, but there's something about being able to say I've been launched 456ft in the air that really makes me smile.)

9. Superman: Ultimate Flight (I really do love pretzel loops.)

10. Possessed (This made the tenth spot because it was so fun and made me laugh and took me by surprise.)

I'm not going to make a long list of negatives, but I will tell you the worst coaster I rode was Superflight at Rye Playland. Which was more of a torture device than a roller coaster. The biggest disappointment was Bizarro at Six Flags New England, which I thought I was really going to enjoy.

I was pleasantly surprised by most of the parks on my trip but I especially loved my day at Hersheypark. I think it has a really great coaster collection, it has s'mores and it was just a great park to hang around in. Six Flags Great Adventure is now my favourite park in the Six Flags chain (next Magic Mountain, Great America and then New England). I liked Kings Island a lot more than I expected and Cedar Point matched my very, very, very high expectations. I don't think I could choose between those two parks though, maybe it would be different if I had visited Kings Island outside of Banshee Bash.

Knoebels, Holiday World and Silver Dollar City were all great parks. The kind of parks that I would recommend to non-theme park fans as great days out. I would take my family to these parks, none of whom like coasters or rides at all. Knoebels for the setting & food, Holiday World for Splashing Safari & quirky themeing and Silver Dollar City for the shows & crafts.

It was my first US TPR tour and I still can't believe how nice almost all of those parks were to us. From Ed Hart asking for our opinions to Holiday World basically giving us ALL the ERT possible (and the rad sense of humour) to Kings Island having the most excited staff ever to Indiana Beach giving us all that time to take over Fascination to Beech Bend and that ridiculous night time ERT on Kentucky Rumbler. Of course the surprise trip to Stricker's Grove was also brilliant, I never thought I would ever make it to that park. I'd also like to give a big thank you to Robb and Elissa and all the parks who really made us feel so welcome. My summer was ridiculously amazing, but the TPR part was on another level.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report! New Hotness was such a fun time, with so many bizarre memories like Mr Kentucky (well all of Kentucky ), Flight of Fear #InTheFastlane, and the ferris wheel rollback and Frankenstein's Castle at Indiana Beach. It was really great getting to know you over the trip and hope we can meet again someday.

It was my first US TPR tour and I still can't believe how nice almost all of those parks were to us. From Ed Hart asking for our opinions to Holiday World basically giving us ALL the ERT possible (and the rad sense of humour) to Kings Island having the most excited staff ever to Indiana Beach giving us all that time to take over Fascination to Beech Bend and that ridiculous night time ERT on Kentucky Rumbler. Of course the surprise trip to Stricker's Grove was also brilliant, I never thought I would ever make it to that park. I'd also like to give a big thank you to Robb and Elissa and all the parks who really made us feel so welcome. My summer was ridiculously amazing, but the TPR part was on another level.

Nice sum up of Mini New Hotness. It was a lot of fun.

And I need a Fascination Parlor for my house.

dt

Great photos. What a legendary park spree!

Love the reaction to FITH. That thing is under-appreciated by enthusiasts, IMO.

I was surprised by your reaction to Wildfire. I've heard a variety of opinions, but you rarely hear anything negative about it from another enthusiast, especially in comparison to some of B&M's other creations. I think I understand where you are coming from though. For some reason B&M's can come off really 'meh' depending on what else you've been riding lately that you can compare it to. On a good day though a back seat ride on Wildfire can be pretty incredible with lots of air on the drop and some pretty good G's - especially on the last turn.