Photo TR: Athisayam pg 4 - Madurai, INDIA!!

a whole new park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Photo TR: INDIA!! Esselworld and Tikuji-ni-wadi near Bo

Postby coasterer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:01 am

Tikjij-ni-wadi was easily the strangest park I’ve ever been to. It was less like an amusement park, really, and more like an extensive low-hanging fruit grove. If you were lucky, you occasionally stumbled across a ride or two, or maybe even a path. But you rarely saw any other people…

The park was incredibly out of the way, tucked away in a corner of north Mumbai that didn’t look like it saw too many people.

To get there from Esselworld I had to take the ferry back to the mainland, grab another rickshaw to West Borivali bus station ST, hope I was in the right place, ask a bunch of people which bus I wanted (most people didn’t speak English, and the ones that did weren’t from the area and didn’t know), try and convey to the conductor that I wanted to go to Tikuji-ni-wadi, get on board with no certainty that you were going to the right place, ride the 40 minutes to Mapada (?) bus stop, and then walk about a mile up a dirt road that frankly, looked like the last place you would find a theme park. But find it I did, and by mid afternoon, I had paid the Rs. 370 entry fee, and was ready to go.

As soon as you enter, there’s a main path that cuts down the park for a ways, disappearing in the overhanging branches of the mango groves. On either side were entrances to different square groves, all without paths and no way to see through to what was on the other side. I literally had to crouch to move around. Occassionally I would find myself in various places like, you know, the center of the road of the go kart track, or in a 300 foot covered walkway lined with beds.

But finally I was able to spot a sign for the kiddie section, and a couple minutes later, had made my way up to the wacky worm ride. I pretty much just sat down and was sent on my way for a double circuit. It was cool how much jungle had built up around this ride. You couldn’t see any of the rest of the park.

The park’s other coaster, the spinning coaster, was just as out of the way, way out in one of the far corners of the jungl-… I mean theme park. Once again, there was not another guest in sight. The two workers were just chilling out in front of the ride, and when I asked if I could ride, they told me I had to ride with three other people to balance out the train. Well perfect.

So I waited, a little, and then a little more, and finally three women came by, but when I asked if they wanted to ride, they just laughed and said they worked here too. But after a little persuasion, I convinced them to ride with me anyway, and so I got my credit with the help of three of the workers who took the lap with me.

It was pretty nice, really, sitting facing the outside was new for me on these mouses, and it was definitely different. But unfortunately, with the train balanced, we hardly spun at all. Still a nice find though, considering I felt like I was lost in the jungle.

The rest of the park was just kind of strange and not much going on. I took a nice long out of the way walk… in order to find where the hell I was again, and did a little bit looking, but there wasn’t too much I really felt was worth the ride at that point.

From there, it was back to the bus stop, try and hop on the right bus by guessing (my advice is, friend locals while you’re here, or at least someone who can speak Hindi or Mararti or whatever dialect needs speaking – these friendly people will make your life so much easier), ride the bus for 20 minutes, bypass the overturned tanker truck in the ditch off to the side being hoisted out by cranes, switch buses when yours breaks down in another ten minutes, and then finally get to where you hope you’re stopping, and then wander around asking as many people you can for the incredibly illusive Volvo bus stop that will take you back on the 14 hour ride home to Goa that evening.

If I had tried a little harder, I definitely could have worked something out with some people in Bombay and stayed the night, or seen a little more of the city, which I’m sure is amazing, but I was constricted on time with class requirements.

So that’s Tikuji-ni-wadi, and my whole Bombay experience, but I’ll definitely post more pictures as they come in – we’re going to Agra tomorrow for the Taj Mahal and all the other Islamic mosques and tombs and stuff, so I’m sure there will be no shortage of pictures. And then expect another park in a couple weeks hopefully.

Again, thanks so much for reading, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.

-Danny
Hey guys, I'm transitioning out of college into full time Christian international missions work, and am currently raising support before leaving this September. I've got a blog about it here. Anyway you could help out, whether it's just to check out what I'll be up to, helping support me financially, or passing this on to someone else who might be interested or able to help me out, would mean the world to me.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby coasterer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 am

More..
Hey guys, I'm transitioning out of college into full time Christian international missions work, and am currently raising support before leaving this September. I've got a blog about it here. Anyway you could help out, whether it's just to check out what I'll be up to, helping support me financially, or passing this on to someone else who might be interested or able to help me out, would mean the world to me.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:35 am

Great trip report. I've been travelling around India for five weeks, and as you say it is a very fascinating country. Can recommend everyone to got. We travelled in the northern part and the Himalayas and it was amazing. Also saw the real taj ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Did Cameron go with you on this excursion, or did you go alone?? I'm truly impressed at your daring-do. Not many people would do what you've done and braved the wilds for a park. That is just awesome! Keep it up and take care.

David
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/7dc3f4130065cd34f8975814ae494df5.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/b7ac844e53348fbc2ec435ea14a13b09.jpg[/img][/url]

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 pm

^ My thoughts exactly! It takes some guts to trek 14 hours in a foreign country (by yourself, too) and not feel discouraged by random dirt roads that seemingly lead to nowhere and the challenge of locating the correct bus station, not to mention that you do all this for a Wacky Worm and spinning mouse. A true credit whore trailblazer, you are! Or...something like that :Pr

But really, once again, thank you for taking the time to post your travels. It just makes my day to see new places like this and to see a different culture's take on the amusement park.

Stay safe and have fun!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Like others have said, kudos for your effort in visiting these parks.

I have a little trepidation about going to a small park that is only 2 hours out of the way in a European country where many people speak English, the road are paved and the transportation is modern. My hats off to you!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Fantastic report!! I love the culture tour you've taken us on, and the parks, wow, compared to US parks, seem really really relaxed. Obviously the rides were somewhat safe as you're still around. I have to say tho, the shot of the water coaster having to be pushed out of the trough was classic. How would you rate the overall upkeep of the two parks?

And here I thought India was just a place I called to get our HP equipment replaced. :)

Thanks, and again, great report, I've enjoyed the learning experience, travel safe!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby BelizeIt » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Nice trip report.

You've obtained some hard to reach credits. (Perhaps even beyond the reach of the Alveys)

I liked the row of beds, hasn't everyone at some point had a long day at a theme park when you didn't want to sit, but instead lay down? Great idea! =)

I hope you get the chance to visit more parks while visiting this amazing country!

Keep Posting!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby RaptorBoyASU » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:55 am

Fantastic trip report. I'm loving all the pictures (including the ridiculous poses :lmao: ). Hats off to you for braving the jungle to show us these credits.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/739c34fae57621ed909958976488d6e4.jpg[/img][/url]

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 pm

When I added this park to the Park Index earlier this week I was amazed at how lush the park was based on the Google Satellite Image.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=Tikuji-ni-wadi%4019.238028,72.966669&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=&ll=19.238135,72.967045&spn=0.002284,0.004801&z=18
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive