Photo TR: Chuck Does It Scandi Style

TPR's 2009 Scandinavian Tour--UPDATE: Linnanmaki
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am

larrygator wrote:I believe the Dragen scrambled your brains. It is a "Flic Flac", not a "Flip Flop" :lmao:

Yes, the brain damage was more extensive than I thought. :lolr: Flic Flac is a much cooler name, anyway.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Chapter 3: Knoebels Goes East, or Way, Way West--Bakken

Bakken is a perfect example of what a traditional, old-school amusement park is all about, a distinction it shares with Knoebels in Pennsylvania. While it has a lot of "off-the-shelf" flats, which proudly fly their traveling "fun fair" colors, the park has a great laid-back vibe and a beautiful setting in one of Denmark's national forests. The place is also very well maintained, with plenty to do for everyone.

And while, like Knoebels, Bakken can't boast the "biggest" or "fastest" coasters (well, there may be one exception when it comes to speed), what it has is really damn good.

Rutschebanen--Like its namesake at Tivoli Gardens, this is a side-friction woodie that uses trains with brakemen, only more insane! Yes, this old sucker is more intense than its cousin in Stockholm, especially on its two sets of double-down drops. But this is, apparently, the last year for the old-style trains. The park is planning to install a computerized braking system and new trains without brakemen for next season. We had ERT on the ride's oldest train, and they're going to keep one of the old trains handy, "just in case" they need it.

Tornado--This Intamin spinning mouse is probably the most intense coaster of its kind anywhere. The chainlift moves at El Toro speed, and you're simply hurled over the top and into the twistiest, windiest course anywhere. Even if your car doesn't spin all that much, you'll still feel like that poor cow in Twister when the ride's over. The ride's themeing is pretty good, too--even if it isn't finished yet.

Mine Train Ulven--OK, no prizes for guessing what sort of ride this is, but, again, it's another excellent ride of its type. The park nicely gave us a bit of ERT on this when Tornado was having technical problems. The group seemed to love this one, too.

Racing--This old "Flitzer" looks like a refugee from the carnival circuit, but it runs beautifully and is a lot of fun (just ask KidTums).

Mariehonen--Kiddie coaster, looks like a ladybug, you get the idea.

So, what else is there at Bakken? How about a very good, "Noah's Ark" type funhouse, a goofy shooting dark ride in which you take your revenge on darling plush animals, and a ghost train with a special surprise, which I wouldn't dream of giving away?

All this, and good food, too--visit Bakken!

Have a look for yourself.
BN 01.jpg
The Bakken segment is brought to you by the producers of "America's Next Top Fast-Food-Fashion Model." Can you look smokin' hot in a paper cap? Can you make the phrase "You want fries with that?" sound like the most suggestive of sexual innuendoes? Then you might have what it takes to be America's Top Fast-Food-Fashion Model!
BN 02.jpg
Time to bid the beautiful city of Copenhagen farewell. Next stop . . .
BN 03.jpg
. . . the Danish Knoebels!
BN 04.jpg
Yes, the park had set up some great ERT for us. But first things first . . .
BN 05.jpg
. . . lunch!
BN 06.jpg
This is what happens if you go to the mens room right before they open the buffet. D'oh!
BN 07.jpg
"Hello--I'm Rutschebanen! If you thought my cousin in Copenhagen was nuts, you ain't seen nothin' yet!"
BN 08.jpg
Some people are so easily distracted.
BN 09.jpg
"Greetings! Here at Bakken, we are always looking to use the latest technology to enhance the guest experience. Our research in coaster physics has yielded one of the most important discoveries in the history of the amusement industry!"
BN 10.jpg
"Geraniums make coasters go faster!"
BN 11.jpg
"Yes, this harmless-looking flower that your grandmother grew in her window pots, when combined with a properly configured wooden structure, can actually bend the space-time continuum!"
BN 12.jpg
"The resulting invisible vortex causes forward velocity to increase exponentially."
BN 13.jpg
"In other words, it make woodie go real fast!"
BN 14.jpg
"Any questions?"
BN 16.jpg
"I believe in the power of geraniums! I do! I do!"
BN 17.jpg
I wonder if she believes in geranium power?
BN 18.jpg
Oh, dearie, dear.
BN 19.jpg
Wave goodbye to these TPR members.
BN 20.jpg
You may never see them again!
BN 21.jpg
So far, so good.
BN 22.jpg
Phew! Looks they're gonna make it! More to come from Bakken.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Chuck great update. I think I'm going to pick a geranium or two next time I go ride a coaster :)

Is Bakken the oldest amusement park in the world? I'm getting the histories of all the old parks a bit crossed lol.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:27 pm

This week, on America's Next Top Fast-Food-Fashion Model, Janice scorches her fingers while fondling some chicken nuggets. Will this cause the judges to do a slow burn?

We now return to Bakken, already in progress.
BN 23.jpg
More parks need Intamin mine trains. That is all.
BN 24.jpg
You know, maybe I have been out ridin' fences for far too long. Time to settle down. (By the way, this version of the Desperado simulator was in English for some reason.)
BN 25.jpg
"Give me your money, gringo!"
BN 26.jpg
Introducing Dave as the goofy sidekick!
BN 27.jpg
Hmm--I never realized I was so bad!
BN 28.jpg
I'll never take me alive!
BN 29.jpg
I found it rather difficult to take pictures of Tornado.
BN 30.jpg
It's just so freakin' fast! (And it has a big O every time.)
BN 31.jpg
Yeah, you really need video to do this ride justice.
BN 32.jpg
But one does what little one can.
BN 33.jpg
The Lone Credit Whore rides again!
BN 34.jpg
Racing looks rather rough and painful.
BN 35.jpg
But it's actually pretty smooth. Kristen rode it four times.
BN 36.jpg
OK, who names a ride for something that grows in your colon? One more set of Bakken photos to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Next, on America's Next Top Fast-Food-Fashion Model, will Arlene be as sizzlin' as a Wendy's triple with cheese fresh off the grill, or as cold as a Whopper in a microwave?

And did a certain fast-food icon who wears a crown get "supersized" during his private photo session with Nadja?

Back to Bakken.
BN 37.jpg
Safari is for all those who could never win one of those damn plush dolls at a carnival game! Lock, load, and blast the stuffing out of them!
BN 38.jpg
Bakken has a pretty durn good ghost train, even if it isn't Scottish I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVe and pretend I'm being cool approved.
BN 40.jpg
Even the cars would scare the crap out of I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVe and pretend I'm being cool.
BN 41.jpg
All aboard for some old-time wackiness!
BN 42.jpg
"Arr! This be no way for a good sailin' man to earn a livin,' sez I"
BN 43.jpg
"Ahoy, Captain Larry! Thar be rats to starboard!"
BN 44.jpg
I have no idea what this is. A large, sentient potato, perhaps?
BN 45.jpg
"I remember when rock was young! Me and Susie had so much fun!"
BN 46.jpg
"Over easy with those eggs, swab!"
BN 47.jpg
And now, TPR's Resident Teacup Enthusiast gives Bakken's a try.
BN 48.jpg
Boo! Not enough spinning! (One of the few bummers at Bakken.)
BN 49.jpg
Hmm--they should post these signs in American public toilets, too.
BN 50.jpg
"Oh my god! She's on the top rope! Big Spla-s-s-s-s-sh comin' up! Stick the fork in him, he's done!" As is this chapter--thanks for reading so far.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the picture showing me riding with Erik on Bakken's woodie. Ah the memories!

Since I appear to still be happy, it must be before he slammed me into the right side of the car, crushing me and bruising my ribs on the turnaround.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

TPR's Friendliest Guy

Postby Big Mike » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks VERY much for this update Chuck, especially the picture of us playing the shooting game!

Moose falsely accused me of cheating in it, saying I was standing up while playing, yet your picture CLEARLY shows me sitting on the horse :)

Thanks for proving my case and saving me from the lies and mistruths from Mr. Moose!

Peace, Big Mike

ONLY 22 COASTERS LEFT IN THE USA TO RIDE!!!

COASTERS RIDDEN: 1,309

PARKS VISITED: 447

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:01 am

^Hmm--I wouldn't say that my photo would be admissible as evidence in a court of law, Mike. ;) Seems pretty inconclusive to me. Personally, I was too busy blasting bad guys to pay much attention to what anyone else was doing.

^^You and I both had our share of injuries on this trip, Larry.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:24 am

rollin'_n'_coastin' wrote:Is Bakken the oldest amusement park in the world? I'm getting the histories of all the old parks a bit crossed lol.

The park representative, Wikipedia, and RCDB all make that claim. 1583 is the year it supposedly opened.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby The Bat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:20 am

Big Mike wrote:Moose falsely accused me of cheating in it, saying I was standing up while playing, yet your picture CLEARLY shows me sitting on the horse :)

Thanks for proving my case and saving me from the lies and mistruths from Mr. Moose!

Uhhh... Big Mike... love ya, but I gotta keep it real. I think you sat on the seat for the PICTURE and then stood up during the game. I saw it with my own eyes.

I believe that is called corroborating evidence! BOOM!

Great update, Chuck. LOVE the captions!!

-- Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive