Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Our first visit to this tragic little park with potential.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Water, Water Everywhere!

Postby BamaRob21 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:16 am

Great TR! And I totally agree that the Penguin's rapids ride is easily the best ride there. It ranks in my top 5 rapids ride because of it's theming and it's awesome course. I also agree that the park is very mediocre - not horrible, but nothing great. I will say that their water park is 10x better than the actual park and we ended up spending most of our day there.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby almightyfire » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 am

I went last year and this is by far the worst park ever. The staff was HORRIBLE, the grounds were HORRIBLE, the rides were HORRIBLE and Chang was the ONLY coaster there that had 2 trains on the track and the stacking was terrible. They might have as well had one train on. This park is in a horrible location. I dont care who might not have liked the twisted twins but still it should have been open. Heck everyone claims they hate the Texas Giant and when I always go to Dallas the line is out of the park for it. I give this park a 0 out of 10. I stayed 2 hrs and wanted my money back for parking. I stayed at the Rodeway Inn right on the premises and could see Chang right from my window and I never went back the 4 days I was there.

Also Chang wasnt great at all to me. It was forceless to me. The first drop isnt steep enough. The Georgia Schorcher is much better and it is NO WHERE NEAR as good as Riddler.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby MattMattMatt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 am

The problem with Double Trouble/Twisted Sisters/Twisted Twins was that it should have clearly been marketed as the fun family coasters they are/were.

Both sides had excellent first drops with insane, ejector air in the back seats, and both sides had a couple of good pops of air here and there. The coaster was opened way late in the season, and was never properly marketed, and was dumped in a corner of the park, and wasn't very visible from the rest of the park. I think CCI delivered a pretty good product but overall the entire project was woefully mishandled by the management at the time.

SFKK doesn't deserve the sheer hatred it inspires in some people, but it's certainly one of the least-good parks in the chain. At least it doesn't suck at everything on the level that SFA does.

OP is correct about the rapids ride being great, by the way. Maybe my favorite in the chain.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ConleyKE » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:32 am

Anyone know when the fair is this year?

This year the Kentucky State Fair runs from Thursday, August 20th through Sunday, August 30th.
I Love Llamas :)

Coaster Counter: 82

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoryPa77 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:57 am

Yeah, in Twisted Twins' opening year ('98) they actually gave a pretty intense ride in the back seats. The first drop had some crazy ejector air and both of the helices were fairly intense too. I think the problem was that over the years, SF failed to properly maintain the rides and they fell into a poor condition. When Twisted Twins opened, it was during a transition time at KK and I think that contributed to the poor marketing. They actually changed to a Six Flags in the middle of a season and there was more hoopla about that than the new coaster opening.

I haven't been there in years now, but I've always thought Thunder Run gave a great ride and Chang wasn't too bad for a standup. Back years ago, Thunder Run was even going to have a tunnel put some where along the back stretch of the ride, but that never came to be.

Along about 1997 or 1998, the park was in a great position to expand and be a major competitor in the midwest. They were in line for about an additional 40 acres (behind Chang and the parking lot out in front of Chang) and there were rumors of actually relocating the entrance of the park to somewhere in the back of the park. Of course, after Premier bought them and then the SF transition happened, nothing ever really came about with the park. SF apparently even tried relocating the entire park to some area near the KY Speedway, but they're probably lucky that never happened or I'm sure it wouldn't have made it.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby MattMattMatt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:57 pm

CoryPa77 wrote:I think the problem was that over the years, SF failed to properly maintain the rides and they fell into a poor condition.

I have no doubt they didn't do the job they should have, especially once they started running either one side or the other. That being said from what I've heard about the sort of construction CCI was doing by this time, coupled with the strong laterals in the design and the Gerst trains, I'd bet you anything after a couple of years keeping these things running was probably getting to be a massive pain in the A$$. At least compared to the other woodie next door, and I'd bet all three had seen declining ridership around this time.

SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Postby natatomic » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:41 pm

I've not been to SFKK yet, but just from your pictures, it looks like it would just slightly rank below SFA for me (though I must admit that I only place SFA higher due to Superman: Ride of Steel. And maybe Wild One.)

Have you been to SFA? How would you rank the two?

Anyway, great TR!

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.

Postby CPmaverick » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:07 pm

natatomic wrote:Have you been to SFA? How would you rank the two?

In my opinion, SFKK is better. SFA just sucks (no offense to anyone who does like the park). The rides SFKK has just seemed overall better than the ones at SFA. I also thought that the ride operations were slightly better at SFKK.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 am

natatomic wrote:Have you been to SFA?

I have not. Just as SFKK was too close to Holiday World for me to have gotten to it before now, SFA is too close to Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Also, I'm inherently reluctant to visit Six Flags parks in general, which doesn't help much.

Still, I'm slowly convincing myself that it's possible for me to have a good time at a Six Flags, as long as I set my expectations low enough.

SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Wow, the Title Fairy really wanged you good. :P
Erik Allen Elness

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:52 am

Wow. The Rapids MIGHT be the best ride in the park. Bias aside, that's pretty funny.

Hope to get up to this one this summer and appreciate not only the Rapids pics, but the great preview. Glad to see Viper is still doing well.

Glad you all are having fun on your travels and the steam powered robot minions are toasting oil and green tea in your honor. ;)

Many thanks!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive