Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Our first visit to this tragic little park with potential.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:53 pm

"I had no idea this park even had a car ride. It was good, too. There were cows."

The very random last sentence in that caption made my day! :lolr:

I have not been to SFKK, but to me, it seems like this is one park that Six Flags could unload should they take that route to try and reorganize under their bankruptcy.

But it looks like you had fun, and that's what it's all about.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby gnewton34 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Some of the ride ops are slow, some are rude. Some are slow and rude. A few are okay. The best part of the park is the water park. Deluge is the best ride in the park, hands down. Sorry, to me Chang does not compare to Mantis, it's much better than Mantis. It's their best coaster and the best stand-up I've been on. The wild mouse is AWFUL, the most painful mouse I've ever been on. And to my knowledge ever since I've been going to the park the bridge has always been there.

The only things in the closed section of the park were Mile High Falls and Twisted Twins. You also missed the Break Dance which is the best flat ride in the park now. They have some shows too which are HORRIBLE. The last time I went one of the shows was a group of 9 year old girls singing Grease songs. It's very disconcerting to hear little girls singing Grease Lightning.

And it really ticked me off that they took out the Rainbow, it was the best flat ride in the park.

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.

Postby CPmaverick » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:57 pm

It seems like everything that went wrong with Mantis, they fixed on Chang (Even I think Chang is better).

Also how does the park run during the state fair? Is it a pay per ride system and does Six Flags still run the place?

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:01 pm

The coaster Twisted Sisters and the rock band Twisted Sister....

My next door neighbor is a lawyer and I showed him some of threads on here about the band Twisted Sister going after Six Flags, claiming copyright violation thus making the park change the coaster's name to Twisted Twins.

Ah..he thinks there is a little "more" to this that just that. According to him since the band is.was named "Twisted SISTER" and not Twisted SISTERS"...he says it is very doubtful the band could play the copyright angle..unless the band of course just happens to own the words "Twisted SISTERS".

My lawyer neighbor seems to think that since so many people didn't like the coaster to begin with ( from the reading the threads it sure seems that way ) and chances are SFKK knew that, perhaps ( his thoughts ), the park got had got together with the band in private to create the story ( band vs. coaster ) just for PR . In other words, re-name the coaster, bring up the "story" as the cause which equals more people would talk about the coaster and story and perhaps give the coaster a second spin.

Of course if that was really the case, since the coaster is now SBNO...well.......chances are we will never really know if that was the case or not.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:42 pm

CPmaverick wrote:It seems like everything that went wrong with Mantis, they fixed on Chang (Even I think Chang is better).

Also how does the park run during the state fair? Is it a pay per ride system and does Six Flags still run the place?

It goes to pay per-ride. I only know this because I called about going there during the fair with my season pass. I was told Chang cost around $5.00.

I have severe vegetarian

Postby CreditCrazy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 pm

monsterfan99 wrote:
CPmaverick wrote:It seems like everything that went wrong with Mantis, they fixed on Chang (Even I think Chang is better).

It goes to pay per-ride. I only know this because I called about going there during the fair with my season pass. I was told Chang cost around $5.00.

Anyone know when the fair is this year?

Papas

Postby Papas » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 pm

My lawyer neighbor seems to think that since so many people didn't like the coaster to begin with ( from the reading the threads it sure seems that way ) and chances are SFKK knew that, perhaps ( his thoughts ), the park got had got together with the band in private to create the story ( band vs. coaster ) just for PR . In other words, re-name the coaster, bring up the "story" as the cause which equals more people would talk about the coaster and story and perhaps give the coaster a second spin.

The rides re-naming and closing are completely unrelated. It was renamed to Twisted Twins way before the ride was eventually closed (and it was renamed because the band threatened to sue Six Flags). It operated as Twisted Twins for years before it got the budget shaft like other SF parks did that same year (Great Adventure closed a section of the park also).

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Park admission is free during the State Fair if you purchase an All-Day wristband...they only have them on certain days, I believe, and cost around $25. Well worth it, IMO!

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Mark Rosenzweig » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 am

Hey Eric- great overview of your first SFKK experience. Three quick points that I thought you might find of interest...

1)"T2" originally stood for "Terror to the Second Power". This was the first Vekoma SLC to debut in North America when it debuted just about the same weekend that the Raven opened 75 miles to the west in May of 1995. Four other SLCs also debuted in North America that year (Canada's Wonderland, Morey's Piers, Opryland, and Six Flags America- then Adventure World). T2 has a few kinks in its layout that only it and El Condor at Walibi World have- a more gradual first drop, sharper transitions (i.e. more pain), and a straight camelback leading to the brakes as opposed to the zig zag run that other standard SLCs have (look at photos on rcdb for comparison).

2)Many of the rides installed under the pre-Six Flags ownership were actually leased. When this practice is observed, it is typically most favorable to install "base frame" rides if at all possible as more of the money goes into the actual equipment and not as much the in ground/foundation- hence the unusual foundations for the park's Vekoma 50 meter Giant Wheel.

3)Until 1990, the ride park was limited to the "gate" side of the road. Thunder Road debuted in August of 1990 just in time for the Kentucky State Fair. The following years would bring other additions such as the Giant Wheel, several flat rides (like the Wood Design Carousel). The Vekoma Skater was North America's first and that Intamin Flying Dutchman Flat actually came from Kings Island where it operated in Oktoberfest near the entrance to Adventure Express (which debuted there in 1991 so you can see the timing played out perfectly on that one). Either way, the '90s were a huge decade for the park. Not only did they expand across the road, but the waterpark, T2, and the entire Twisted Twins wing all debuted within a 10 year span. On the gate side of the road, the Vekoma Boomerang was removed and sent to SFNE in exchange for a 180 ft Single Skycoaster. The Wet/Dry waterslides (called "The Squid") were removed and replaced by the Maurer Mouse (and later the Schwarzkopf Counter Weight Shuttle Loop). Did you find it odd how the Huss Pirat just kind of sat all on its own? It used to sit at the exit to "Vampire"- the Boomerang coaster. Obviously ridership has hardly existed since that was removed.

Mark

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:49 am

^ Thanks, Mark. Interesting stuff. Like I said, this is a park that really starts my brain going about how I could fix it. It has potential. It's just not quite there, at the moment. I'm glad we went, though, for sure.

EBL wrote:"I had no idea this park even had a car ride. It was good, too. There were cows."

The very random last sentence in that caption made my day! :lolr:
Cow Ride.jpg
Yes, indeed, there were cows. And cows make everything fun.
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive