Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Our first visit to this tragic little park with potential.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Elissa's Instincts Are Strong!

Postby steel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:23 am

Very nice TR of a terrible excuse for an amusement park.

Mind you, I was there the day of the STOP accident, so the mood may not have been very good, even before it occurred.

Still, worst park I've ever been to, without question.

T2 is the number one worst roller coaster I have ever been on. Twisted Twins is horrible. It is completely and utterly forceless and very badly designed for a "dueling" coaster - there's only one flyby on the ride that ever actually happens. The two tracks meet a lot, but the trains pass at way different times.

From the looks of this TR, the park has gotten a little cleaner, but that isn't much consolation.

Chang was thoroughly okay, which made it the second-best ride in the park for me. Thunder Run was my favorite, despite the molasses-slow crew. Good airtime, not too rough, IMHO. Actually, Chang was my third-favorite behind Thunder Run and STOP before I learned how ridiculously unsafe it was to ride STOP that day. :-P

From this TR, I wish I'd ridden Blizzard River and Deluge, but we just didn't have time and we all wanted to get to Holiday World as soon as possible.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:37 am

Just to be clear, we did enjoy ourselves. No, it's not the best park ever. But it also wasn't the worst. It's the kind of park I'd love to inherit, because I see some really easy ways to make it a lot better.

We spent about four hours there, then moved on to Holiday World. Misty (aka, Speedmetal) is supposed to be posting a HW TR soon, but we'll see.

A couple of other things I forgot to mention about SFKK:

The Giant Wheel's entire queue and load area is built on top of a network of metal grating three or four feet off the ground. It's really odd.

The name of the Enterprise is apparently "Ride The Enterprise," judging by its sign. Which I find hilarious. (It's listed as "The Enterprise" on the park's website.)

The advertising throughout the park is ridiculously distracting. "Hold On To Your Buns."

The park's "main street" is five feet long. Sure, you don't have to have a "main street." But it just kind of felt like this park does have one--it's just comically short. :P
GWP1260561.jpg
The Giant Wheel's metal grate home.
MSP1260836.jpg
"Main Street"
LTP1260834.jpg
And, finally, we never made it over to the Looney Tunes Movie Town area of the park--but this picture makes me wish we had.
Erik Allen Elness

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Fat-G » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:15 pm

first of all, and because its my home park, SFKK is not that bad. it is not a concrete park, yes there are places that need more trees but there is some pretty good landscaping. second, Twisted Twins was the first dueling coaster ever made, so its not going to be as good as newer dueling coasters. third, the whole T2 area was originally going to be re themed as Gotham City but the idea was shelved due to budgets hence the black paint on T2 and Attitudes whare house look. and the path underneath Thunder Run has always been there. and for the people who say SFKK hasn't expanded when the park first opened it was on one side of the road, the other side where the water park and chang are were just parking lots and fields so it shows how much can be done.

some other facts are
the park has height restrictions due to the airport across the street(the airport was built after the park opened)

the park was originally fully themed hence belgium village and the northwest territory.

Chang translates to Long because when built it was the longest tallest fastest stand up coaster, it is in second place today.

during the state fair the park serves as part of the midway making it the bigst state fair around(the park originally opened as just a permanent midway for the fair hence small size

T2 was the first SLC in the united states so all the bugs were not worked out of it so hence the roughest but a couple years ago SF put new wheels on it that smooth it out so much that it was a entirely different ride.

SFKK IS NOT A HORRIBLE PARK it just needs a little tune up
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Fat-G wrote: Twisted Twins was the first dueling coaster ever made, so its not going to be as good as newer dueling coasters.

So, Gemini came after Twisted Twins??

-Tatum

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Cobra Commander » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Mark from Six Flags really need to visit this park and add a Thomas Town or Wiggles World. For pete's sake, the state of Kentucky doesn't really have a major amusement park outside of this. Back when Six Flags bought Kentucky Kentucky, that they bought up more line behind Twisted Sister and T2. I don't know if that is true but it help out if they wanted to improve the park.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:41 pm

DBru wrote:
Satchboogie3 wrote:I visited SFKK in '04 and from the sounds of it, it has only gotten worse. You aren't missing anything at all with Twisted Twins, it was one of the most boring "dueling" coasters I have been on. This is definitely the worst park I've ever been to.

astroworldfan1 wrote:
Twisted Sisters sued Six Flags........

-Tatum

If that was true, couldn't they just change the name and keep it open while they go to court?

I guess it's good to at least get the credits out of the way and it probably will make Holiday World seem even better.

^I don't think you understood... Twisted Twins used to be called Twisted Sisters. In 2002, the band Twisted Sister threatened to sue SFKK because of copyright issues, so the park changed the name to Twisted Twins.

The ride's status has absolutely nothing to due with the name change. After the STOP tragedy in 2007, a law was implemented in the state of Kentucky that requires all ride operators to be at least 18 years old. Because SFKK had always relied on teenagers to run the rides, they were very understaffed when the 2008 season rolled around. To compensate for the loss of employees, they closed off the Northwest Territory, because it was the least-visited area of the park.

They are supposedly rehabbing Mile High Falls, but have released no information regarding the status of Twisted Twins, other than stating that "it is not in the budget for the 2009 season." I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that we can kiss the Twins goodbye.

Doesn't the city of Denver, Colorado own the copyright to the words "Mile High"? If they do ( which I doubt but hey that is what I heard over the years anyway ) I wonder if Denver could have gone after SFKK for having a ride called "Mile High Falls".

Years ago I heard about some town in West Virginia who was calling themselves "the mile high city of the east" only to get a C&D from Denver, Colorado telling them they could no longer use the words "mile High". Even though I remember hearing this on the radio, me thinks it was an urban legend.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Wild 1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:57 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:
Fat-G wrote: Twisted Twins was the first dueling coaster ever made, so its not going to be as good as newer dueling coasters.

So, Gemini came after Twisted Twins??

-Tatum

Gemini is a racing coaster, not a dueling coaster. It does look like the park is shaping up, it takes a while to fix up a park that was, well ignored by management.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby LBIJim » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm

I've been there twice, both times during the State Fair. Decent enough, but I don't think I'd make a special trip there otherwise.

The State Fair, however, is phenomenal.....maybe the best I've ever been to. Air-conditioned exhibit buildings in August are a great plus.
LBIThatJim

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm

It seems like a lot of people hate this park. I visited in 2006, and I thought the employees were overall very good. The rides aren't world-class, but it's not a destination park. Rather it's a very good local park IMO. However, there was a bit more to do when I went (Hellevator, Twisted Twins, Mile High Fall). I think a lot of TPR trippers agreed about the park staff and the general good atmosphere of the place in 2007.

I think a lot of more local enthusiasts compare it to KI, HW, and other places in the midwest, and just find the ride line-up to be pitiful. IMO, they have a good Schwarzkopf, one of the best stand-ups, and a good wooden coaster (Thunder Run). I don't know, I can still appreciate a place like SFKK.

I think because it is owned by Six Flags, people expect it to have a mega coaster, a crazy launch coaster, and like a dozen other coasters. If it wasn't owned by Six Flags, I think people would like it more

And about the rapids: I actually thought they were the WORST ride in the park due to the "drainage problem" you pointed out!

Elissa's Instincts Are Strong!

Postby steel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:38 pm

^That's interesting about the employees. I've heard mixed reviews. When I was there, they were very rude, very slow, and very incompetent. But I've heard of people who've loved them, too.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive