Photo TR: Toft's & America's Roller Coast

Searching for the world's best ice cream at Cedar Point.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Cixot wrote:While annoying, I think it's a pretty safe procedure.

Why? I mean, how does it increase safety?

To me, it's the equivalent of having to dribble a basketball down the dock while checking restraints. It's a distraction, and irrelevant. Now, perhaps there's some trade off for this distraction...but I'm not seeing it.

Elissa suggested that the procedure was so that it could be more easily determined if the restraint had been checked or not after a potential accident. But that's not really safety, that's assigning blame after the fact.
Erik Allen Elness

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby tpounds » Fri May 29, 2009 7:58 am

I was pleasantly disturbed by your trip report. I truly love Maverick, as it is my favourite coaster, and I agree with some that the transitions are spectacular. Mean Streak? Seriously. I suppose Ghostrider is wonderful too. Maybe because Maverick needs to be proactively ridden by the rider instead of just sitting there; people tend to rate it lower. Maybe because it isn't a record shattering ride, but delivers an aggressive performance, I enjoy it. But, that is my opinion versus yours. I agree with a lot of the CP complaints. It certainly doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of a BGE, BGA, etc......To me, that park is simply as smorgasborg of coasters and rides. Instead of spending 100 million on a themed dud, they spread it around on mega-rides that unfortunately wind up on concrete slabs. Great comments on this TR and superb photos.

At Six Flags parks a "visual check" is being used too. This may be the new fad for safety liabilities. It's strange, but I'd rather not end up on the news because some teenager didn't properly secure the riders on a train.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CGA_88 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 am

This whole "check" thing applies to CGA also. Must be a CF policy; whatever floats their boat.

Great TR though!. Always wanted to go to CP!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 am

dougstanton wrote:We were actually told that the "check" procedure was something that the Paramount parks did. Cedar Fair liked the idea and added it to their parks.

Whoever told you that was wrong. What Elissa said is right.

--Robb "Why don't people believe us? We have been working in the theme parks industry for a combined total of over thirty years now... we know our sh!t." Alvey

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CGA_88 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

What the Paramount Parks did was having to say "clear" out loud before dispatching the ride.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Allena.k.a.Alan » Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Great report!
Ladeedah ladeedah! :lmao:

Oh my cherries!

Postby gotdane » Fri May 29, 2009 3:10 pm

The only logical explanation about the "Check" policy is what Elissa said. It makes sense whereas all the other reasons clearly don't.

It's still dumb.

Electrik, amazing Photo TR! Even with all the pictures of the down rides it painted the park in a good light for me. Maybe I don't look at too many CP PTRs but it really shows how photogenic the park is. There are a lot of nice looking areas. I want to go to there...again.

"Baby I'm ready to go!"

OH! And I loved Maverick when I rode back in 2007. I wonder if it's not aging too well.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri May 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Maverick and Furius Baco both have the 'ride anywhere but the front seat and come off with a headache' syndrome.

Seriously, I think they are just very intense, agressive rides. I love them in the front seat, but won't even THINK about riding anywhere else (and in Baco's case, only a front inside seat!)

It's really a bummer that that's how the rides turned out, I can only imagine it to be a great ride in the back seat minus the headbanging.

Papas

Postby Papas » Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

I tend to be pretty forgiving about downtime. But, at a certain point, it sort of has to become the park's fault. Something was definitely not right with the amount of downtime we experienced.

This must be a chronic issue with Cedar Point, both times ive been there the coasters were breaking down like crazy. The last time I was there MF, TTD, Maverick all opened late. In addition to that MF and TTD broke down while we were in line (Dragster broke down like every 1/2 hour, I fet like it was 2003), Maverick broke down like 4x while we were in line and a bunch of times we walked past it it was broken down also, Wicked Twister broke down while we were in line.

CP, there are other companies out there that dont start with I and end with ntamin! Should look into that.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Fri May 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Another great TR, Electerik!
I think your TR's may just be my favorite. They always have a quirkiness about them, and you always seem to get shots that you usually never see in other TR's.
Thanks for sharing!

I see where you're coming from about Maverick. I used to not like it as well, but for some reason last year I just ended up loving the damn thing!
I think it's because I decided to hold on and not let myself get slammed around.
I also agree with your thoughts on Millennium Force. While it's not my #1 steel, I would definitely put it somewhere in my top 5.

Thanks again for sharing!

P.S. I still have that awesome photo that you took of Tennessee Tornado set as my desktop background.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive