Photo TR: Toft's & America's Roller Coast

Searching for the world's best ice cream at Cedar Point.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Sun May 24, 2009 11:23 am

SharkTums wrote:This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

Ha!

Why not just have a camera overlooking the train recording throughout the day. That would prove weather the restraint was checked or not...

Maybe they just want their staff to lose their voices regularly?

Baby I'm Ready To Gooooooooo

Postby thrillrideseeker » Sun May 24, 2009 1:26 pm

SharkTums wrote:^I wonder if that's just what they're telling CP Employees.

This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

So annoying!
So thats the real reason?! It makes much more sense than what they tell us! I knew it was asinine that I had to remind myself I just did what I really did!!
~Matthew
~Matt & Matt~

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby speedmetal » Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I think we had a pretty good trip, regardless of all the downtime. My top pick for Cedar Point is still Magnum. I loved it, but my choices are usually referred to as weird. :P
Caution: Smisty

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun May 24, 2009 3:36 pm

ElToroGirl84 wrote:If I may ask a question when did you go?

Monday, May 18th & Tuesday, May 19.

Also what are the address's for the Toft's outside the park so I can put them in my GPS and take a visit while I'm there, I love ice cream too! :)

The best one (and the closest to Cedar Point) is the dairy itself, located at 3717 Venice Road, Sandusky, OH 44870. Make sure you post an ice cream report! ;)
Erik Allen Elness

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Satchboogie3 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Nice TR! I loved the focus on Ice cream. I too am a Ice Cream enthusiast, but I admit I'm also a bit of a snob. :lmao: I'll definitely try Toft's the next time I go out to CP.

My favorite shop so far is a small Boston chain called JP Licks. All natural, lots of fat, homemade goodness. I, though, am a big fan of "plain" flavors. One of my big turnoffs with Ben & Jerry's is they cram too much stuff in the Ice Cream. I want the focus to be on the flavor and texture, as a perfect Vanilla or Chocolate is incredibly complex and satisfying, you just have to really "taste" it.

Some of my biggest turnoffs with Ice Cream are food coloring (I will not eat Mint ice cream that is green, etc), gums/preservatives that make the texture "gummy", and a lack of the best quality ingredients. I, to, believe that the vanilla base should be cooked. I believe that they should NEVER use a standard vanilla extract, I prefer the use specific beans (Madagascar being my favorite) over extract. Extracts don't belong in ice cream.

My favorite brand of store bought ice cream (really, the only brand I'll eat) is Haagen Dazs - Vanilla being my favorite flavor. It's incredibly complex, rich, has that golden, nutty Madagascar vanilla flavor, and has the absolutely perfect texture.
Coaster Count: 219
Favorite Steel- Superman: Ride Of Steel (SFNE) .... errrr Bizarro
Favorite Wooden- El toro

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Sun May 24, 2009 7:27 pm

I have "Herd of Cows" every time I visit.

Also:

[Maverick's] transitions would have sent Ron Toomer back to his drawing board.

I happen to really like Maverick (don't get out much...?) but that comment was awesome.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon May 25, 2009 5:01 pm

^^ Dude, you totally just out-nerded me.
Erik Allen Elness

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby dougstanton » Tue May 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Electerik wrote:
thrillrideseeker wrote:I have never met someone who did not like Maverick!! I was so shocked!

Yes, well, Misty and I seemed to be the only ones. Everyone around us loved it. *shrugs* I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

It is suppose to be a reminder to yourself that you just checked the seat.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A reminder to yourself...that you're doing what you're doing? I really wonder about Cedar Fair sometimes. My theory was that it was to draw that guest's attention to the fact that you had checked their restraint--which is also stupid, but I like it better.

Yes, though, I did enjoy my visit. It's not, ultimately, my kind of park--but it's still better than sitting on the couch...or working.

On a side note: It's funny to me how many enthusiasts seem to think that Millennium Force is "overrated," yet it placed #2 in the US in Mitch's most recent Steel Coaster Poll. Kind of makes me wonder what "overrated" even means....

We were actually told that the "check" procedure was something that the Paramount parks did. Cedar Fair liked the idea and added it to their parks.

Also, if you had a couple of weeks to play with, you should have checked to see that it was Math and Science week. I am working a split today and when I left at 1:30 the park was dead for Cedar Point standards.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby RedB » Tue May 26, 2009 3:04 pm

^Also I'm pretty sure Monday was senior skip day for a lot of schools around here. I noticed a lot of kids with class of 09 shirts that day.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Cixot » Tue May 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^I wonder if that's just what they're telling CP Employees.

This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

So annoying!

I think they do that at Canada's Wonderland too. The reason they ask you to check it yourself I think may have to do with lawsuits too. If an accident happens, they want to try and stay out of it so you don't say its their fault.

They do it at Kings Island too. While annoying, I think it's a pretty safe procedure.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive