Photo TR: Toft's & America's Roller Coast

Searching for the world's best ice cream at Cedar Point.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:43 am

Wow...very nice pics of CP with little extra's of the flats that usually don't make it into the TR's. Great job!

I fully agree with your assessment of Maverick. Not sure why the year it opened, I did not have any problem with headbanging and being jolted around. Last year, it was quite painful and I gave it multiple chances in the front, back and middle.

Also agree with MF. It is still ranked my #1 steel and it is always a must-do ride in the front seat (left side) at night during every visit. Then, of course...follow that up with an ice cold beer at Lusty Lil's/Red Garter Saloon!

Sure wish they would run Mean Streak for just one season without the trims. I would like to experience it at least one more time where you really felt like the trains were out of control. Glad I got to ride it back in the day when it was a little more "mean".

OMG! A TALKING MUFFIN!

Postby DATman » Sun May 24, 2009 8:51 am

What's wrong with vanilla?

Baby I'm Ready To Gooooooooo

Postby thrillrideseeker » Sun May 24, 2009 9:30 am

WOW! I must say you have some amazing pictures! Its kind of sad to hear all the "bad" things that happened to you during your trip. When I read this...
Electerik wrote:So...I'm not quite sure how to say this...but Maverick sucked.
I about fainted. I have never met someone who did not like Maverick!! I was so shocked! ...As for...
Electerik wrote:New thing: On nearly every ride, the operators say "check" to you as they check your restraint. It's really odd.
Its something we were suppose to do last year, but no one really did. This year they are cracking down on it and you seriously MUST say it. It is suppose to be a reminder to yourself that you just checked the seat. I enjoyed your TR and hope you enjoyed your trip!!
~Matthew
~Matt & Matt~

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 am

thrillrideseeker wrote:I have never met someone who did not like Maverick!! I was so shocked!

Yes, well, Misty and I seemed to be the only ones. Everyone around us loved it. *shrugs* I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

It is suppose to be a reminder to yourself that you just checked the seat.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A reminder to yourself...that you're doing what you're doing? I really wonder about Cedar Fair sometimes. My theory was that it was to draw that guest's attention to the fact that you had checked their restraint--which is also stupid, but I like it better.

Yes, though, I did enjoy my visit. It's not, ultimately, my kind of park--but it's still better than sitting on the couch...or working.

On a side note: It's funny to me how many enthusiasts seem to think that Millennium Force is "overrated," yet it placed #2 in the US in Mitch's most recent Steel Coaster Poll. Kind of makes me wonder what "overrated" even means....
Erik Allen Elness

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun May 24, 2009 10:11 am

^I wonder if that's just what they're telling CP Employees.

This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

So annoying!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby hemmy » Sun May 24, 2009 10:24 am

I have small case of OCD when it comes to locking doors, so if I ever had a job as a ride op I would probably say "check" to myself even if it wasn't required :|

Woodstock Express has had those stupid seatbelts for a few years now, annoying, but once you get the credit not exactly worth riding again.

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Sun May 24, 2009 10:25 am

SharkTums wrote:^I wonder if that's just what they're telling CP Employees.

This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

So annoying!

I think they do that at Canada's Wonderland too. The reason they ask you to check it yourself I think may have to do with lawsuits too. If an accident happens, they want to try and stay out of it so you don't say its their fault.

hemmy wrote:Woodstock Express has had those stupid seatbelts for a few years now, annoying, but once you get the credit not exactly worth riding again.

I think it's to deter curious little kids from standing up midride.

Also, nice shot of Disaster Transport's loading station. I've never seen a picture of the inside before!
Best: | 1. Medusa (SFDK) | 2. Coaster (Playland) | 3. Behemoth (CW) | 4. Giant Dipper (SCBB) | 5. Titan (SFOT) Worst: | 1. Grizzly (CGA) | 2. Flight Deck (CW) | 3. Corkscrew (Playland) | 4. Dragon Fire (CW) | 5. Rainbow Chaser (Fun Forest)
- Rides don't hurt people, people do. (although some exceptions)

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby ElToroGirl84 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 am

Great Trip Report!

If I may ask a question when did you go? That looked like a rather huge crowd for so early in the season but that may have been for all the downtime you experienced. I'm rather scared I may not get on everything now if the coaster downtime is that bad when I get there. :( I'll only be there about 2 and a half days and I hope to ride everything at least once and my favorites twice or more. I guess I should just prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best at this point.

Also what are the address's for the Toft's outside the park so I can put them in my GPS and take a visit while I'm there, I love ice cream too! :)

Again though great trip report, I worry for my poor boyfriend at this point in riding Maverick, I sure hope he survives(joking mostly but we plan on hitting it first and if it's that bad wow what a terrible first coaster but I won't know till I ride it of course) I should be fine but who knows. :P

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/139cdb6316efd454fdff504a60fe32ec.jpg[/img][/url]

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby hemmy » Sun May 24, 2009 11:04 am

ElToroGirl84 wrote:Great Trip Report!

If I may ask a question when did you go? That looked like a rather huge crowd for so early in the season but that may have been for all the downtime you experienced. I'm rather scared I may not get on everything now if the coaster downtime is that bad when I get there. :( I'll only be there about 2 and a half days and I hope to ride everything at least once and my favorites twice or more. I guess I should just prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best at this point.

Also what are the address's for the Toft's outside the park so I can put them in my GPS and take a visit while I'm there, I love ice cream too! :)

Again though great trip report, I worry for my poor boyfriend at this point in riding Maverick, I sure hope he survives(joking mostly but we plan on hitting it first and if it's that bad wow what a terrible first coaster but I won't know till I ride it of course) I should be fine but who knows. :P

2.5 days is plenty of time assuming rides are running the majority of the time. If things are going good @ the park, even on a busy day you can get on most rides. First day Maverick opened in 2007 I still got on pretty much ever ride except 3 coasters (Woodstock, Disaster Transport, Wicked Twister). 2nd day I was there hit everything else, and as you said hit the best rides again.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tanthonyam » Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 am

You see that is just one of the things I dont like about Cedar Point. You would think it would be slow opening week, and BOOM here come all the kiddies, and all the damn busses in the parking lot. It's very hard to plan a trip here around the crowds, it just depends on luck I guess, but you must go here early in the season regardless. I went last week of May- after Memorial Day, 2 years ago, and made out pretty good. There were some school groups , but not many, and they leave early (thank god). It just amazes me that pretty much any other seasonal amusement park you go to very early in the season is not crowded at all, but not this park.
Funny though I did Kings Island first, then CP and KI had less people in the park on a weekday.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive