Photo TR: Disney's Animal Kingdom

Or, How I Spent My 39th Birthday
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 am

Hmm, this post makes me kind of glad I didn't set aside a whole day for Animal Kingdom. It's a great park but you're right some of it just isn't 'Walt Disney standard'.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm

To quote a wise wise man, fellow Epcot Center enthusiast, and railroad enthusiast...

Tissues! Stat!

This one of a few shout outs today that really made my day. Many thanks!

Even without KRR, a great TR, and with a Steam Donkey bonus!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:45 am

I don't know these people, but I'm going to call them Margie, Jessica, Little Boo, and Steve.

I loved this caption.

Another great job of "exposing" a park that doesn't get as much attention as it probably should. I'm just as guilty of that though, I guess. Up until my last visit there, it was a hit and run park because I was just all too anxious to get back to the MK or Epcot. But when you actually have the time to relax a bit and take it all in, the intricate details of the place (minus the obvious exception) really impress.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:14 am

Very nice Erik. More pictures added to the Park Index! ;)

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 pm

mcjaco wrote:Very nice Erik. More pictures added to the Park Index! ;)

Hooray!

One last (short) set of photos to wrap up the day.

Since Animal Kingdom closed at a rather early 5:00pm, we headed over to Downtown Disney to check out its new restaurant, T-Rex Cafe.
03P3101125.JPG
Misty representing.
06P3101118.JPG
It's rather like the Rainforest Cafe--maybe too much so.
07P3101095.JPG
I enjoyed it, but of course you're paying for the atmosphere more so than the food.
08P3101111.JPG
We dined in the ice age room.
12P3101104.JPG
"Chocolate Extinction" (Hey, come on, it was my birthday! :OP)
Erik Allen Elness

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby matt_g » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:06 am

silvercrew1 wrote:Looks like you had a great birthday! I actually love Dinosaur and don't care what anyone else thinks of it.

I went to Animal Kingdom years ago - and my first (and only!) impression of Dinosaur was that it was about the best ride I'd ever been on. I absolutely loved it for having a really clever mix of thrills, theming and pretty animatronics. It was about the only ride I've ever remembered getting a spontaneous round of applause from people who didn't know each other at the end of the ride!

Alas I haven't been back and no doubt Indiana Jones is better, but it still has a soft spot in my heart!

Dinoland USA however is another story, that area is horrible.

Fortunately it wasn't there all those years ago, but from the photos I think this pretty much goes without saying. They can say it's themed around the story they gave it - but in reality it has to be about finding an excuse to build some very cheaply themed attractions.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 am

^ Pretty sure Dinoland has been there since opening.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby matt_g » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 am

^ I thought I was going mad there for a moment but I've realised that I'm talking about "Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama", which is just a part of Dinoland and was added in 2002 rather than the whole of Dinoland! My mistake. I can't really remember the Dinoland theming from the time to be honest.

WDW's Newest Tigger

Postby RCTfan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Looks like you had an enjoyable birthday at DAK. It's too bad you missed the best part, Festival of the Lion! Haha.

And I LOVE the T-Rex Cafe. Their flatbread appetizer is amazing! I just had dinner there tonight! :)
I enjoy walking two-three feet above everyone else.

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive