Photo TR: Jahan's Awesome TPR-Midwest Trip Report!

Day 11 - Kings Island (and Stricker's Grove) - Page 32!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby gnewton34 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:19 am

I was surprised that Robb had to mention the whole BOTB incident :lolr:

MATT DAMON has nervous tits

Postby thecoasterkid » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:15 pm

^ There are some things from the trip that some of us would rather forget about. Although I highly doubt that gaining the Laura boob credit is something Jahan would like to forget.

Jahan, that was an amazing trip report! Brought back alot of memories, and was quite the tease for the upcoming DVD.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby CoasterComet » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:12 pm

dj snow wrote:
CoasterComet wrote:It was an honored thing to be a Blue Streak guy.

On good days, we would get 1,300 per hour.

I loved watching how that ride used to be run.

[Train stops in unload]

"Get out, get out, get out!!"

[Train moves forward, stops in load]

"Get in, get in, get in!! Pull down your lapbar!"

[Train begins moving out of station 5 seconds later]

Guests: "Wait! My seatbelt!"

"Don't worry about it! Fasten it later!"

[Attendant checks each lapbar as the train moves past him toward the lift]

Repeat.

It was quite the operation to watch, but I knew it couldn't last.

I hear ya - but it lasted through 1993! I was so freakin lucky to work on that ride those last 2 years. I think up until a couple major accidents in the 80's, that's the way many coasters were run.

We actually used to announce that the seatbelts are optional! The thing was if someone was screaming about the seatbelt (that MANY people for some reason, had NO CLUE how to fasted) we could stop it on the lift. Then walk up there and fasten the seat belt for them. It was work, but at least it was a temporary manual shutdown, not on record as a 'shutdown'.

The trick was to get the train out of the station (and clear the block switch, located right outside the station) before the other train's back car entered the brake run shed (start of the block). If you missed it, the ride set-up. This would push the brakes all the way up to stop to the train. So then it was an 'official shutdown'. We would have to call park op, then they would call maintenance and send out Therm or Mike to 'pull out the pin' of the brakes to let the train go.

There were times when we would go manually hit that switch to prevent a shut-down (that was stupid and dangerous). But man we had that ride going! We would always really try to NOT have a shut down and also compete with shifts to see who could get the highest PPH. Sometimes we hit 1300, I do remember at least once hitting 1400. The ride at is now, I'd be suprised if it hits 800.

Quite often we 'rode the running board' sometimes all the way to the lift. This was also not preferred and of course we got reemed out for doing it. It was amazing how we'd get calls out of no-where to stop doing certain things. One time I got chewed out b/c I got on the lift speakers to tell someone to stop throwing trash out of the train. It was silly, but man they watched us like hawks!

We shut down at least every 2 days to go up and tell someone to NOT stand up. I'd rather do that than have the lap bar set up it has now.

Magnetic brakes would have been a better choice, but what they did to the trains is just plain dumb and boring.... just lame man!

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:45 am

PKI ManJZ wrote:
Bucket wrote:Glad you had fun at Kings Island! Always wanted to visit there!

You are so right about Son of Beast though. I looked at the layout for the ride and it is anything but inspiring. Besides the drop, nothing really seems to redeem itself in comparison to the original Beast. It just does 2 big helixes and then is over... and the loop (which was what made it kind of special) is now gone. I wonder what the GP are saying about it! They must be like... wtf?

I think SoB is okay. It's fun for a front seat ride, just kinda speeding all over the place in circles and what not. On a RARE occasion, if you sit in the back seat; you can get some nice air over the first drop. Most of the GP are too scared to ride, or don't care. It's all about Firehawk and the Beast!

But me, you'll find me on Drop Zone ;)

I'm not one to give a ride the benefit of the doubt for providing a marginally better ride according to some altered circumstance. I don't care if the ride is amazing in the back-right seat, at 11:30 in the morning after a light shower, with a modest breakfast in your stomach, after the tracks have recently been greased, the train refurbished, the entrance sign painted, with three trolls balancing out the weight in the coach perfectly, and when the planets are aligned--it's still a crappy ride in general.

I'm actually amazed at how many of you are familiar with the R.L. Stine Beast book! I totally felt less nerdy for about a second!

:lol:

Thanks for all of your nice comments guys! It's such a relief to hear that you enjoyed the report!

-Jahan

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:26 am

Maybe I'll have to do a lame and crap midwest trip report, to make people appreciate your reports even more.

The Vekoma and Arrow bus were like different planets, I know we had a lot of fun at the front of the arrow bus but no boob credits. Though I think TRP was stinking out the back of the bus.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Zen Coaster » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 am

Nice thread Jahan. Thanks for putting the time in to make it, brings back a lot of memories.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am

Awesome TR Jahan. You captured all the unbridled magic and death defying mystery that is a TPR trip.
=)

MATT DAMON has nervous tits

Postby thecoasterkid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 pm

downunder wrote:The Vekoma and Arrow bus were like different planets, I know we had a lot of fun at the front of the arrow bus but no boob credits. Though I think TRP was stinking out the back of the bus.

5 points for the TRP reference!

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive