TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

I actually "fell off the wagon" for a month and a half while spending that time at my sister's.... But apparently I'd been doing low-carb for long enough that even though I cheated that whole time, I didn't gain any weight. Granted, I didn't lose either, but I didn't gain, and that surprised the heck outta me.

As of yesterday, I'm down to 235lbs (being back home has helped move the weight loss forward again, lol). Woohoo!

I wish I had better news to report, but I, too, am off the wagon. I put a lot of the weight I lost over the honeymoon back on due to bad habits and stress eating. Work has been really crazy lately, with a lot of deliverables and responsibilities piling up, and unfortunately it's lead to me really laying on stress eating as a crutch.

Boldikus, I downloaded the first four weeks of that Couch to 5K podcast you talked about a while back (that was all that was on iTunes). I did my first run with it the other day and I gotta say, it actually made me feel good. Not physically, of course, but it had me in a really good mental state afterwards. I need to pick up some new shoes, but I really want to keep doing it.

One of my go-to snacks while doing this low-carb thing is fried pork skins. I can get a big bag for about a buck-fifty at my grocery store, and they have basically zero carbs, so I can snack on however many I want... Which is good, because when I get bored, I tend to eat, and I get bored a LOT living where I currently live.

I am at my lowest so far at 238 (down from 258)... still not quite sure how it's happening, but I'll take it. I've been downing hot Apple Cider k-cups like crazy at work... I think they are curbing my hunger, lol.

I'm still eating large meals but only like one meal a day. I know that's bad for you, but it's working... for now.

I wish I had better news to report, but I, too, am off the wagon. I put a lot of the weight I lost over the honeymoon back on due to bad habits and stress eating. Work has been really crazy lately, with a lot of deliverables and responsibilities piling up, and unfortunately it's lead to me really laying on stress eating as a crutch.

Boldikus, I downloaded the first four weeks of that Couch to 5K podcast you talked about a while back (that was all that was on iTunes). I did my first run with it the other day and I gotta say, it actually made me feel good. Not physically, of course, but it had me in a really good mental state afterwards. I need to pick up some new shoes, but I really want to keep doing it.

Nike Air Maxes. I splurged and bought these earlier this year and they are so fu*king comfortable. I only use them for running now since I go through shoes really quickly. I LOVE THEM. They like fu*king bounce and sh*t. I am likely buying a back up pair of more Air Maxes.

The podcasts are awesome. I generally hate most of the music, but having dude in your ear telling you what to do makes it so easy. I never made it past week 6 and I generally just bounce around between weeks 3-6 depending on how much I feel like running that day. If I'm really not feeling it, I go for the lower weeks since its less running and more walking but recently with the cooler weather I have been out there pushing hard with wks 5-6 and sweating my ass off. Just keep at it. The runners high is real. It sucks at first but once you see results it'll motivate you to keep it up. I've lost almost all the fat in my face/neck just in the last month or so, my legs are toned AF, and my beer gut is disappearing. Now I *need* to keep at it.

I'm not killing myself w/ a diet. Basically a "lite" version of paleo/keto. I haven't completely cut out sugar and carbs, but I've basically cut it out of my regular everyday eating. Almost every day I pack breakfast and lunch to take to work. Breakfast is 2-3 of these: banana, mixed (unsalted) nuts, hardboiled eggs, full fat plain yogurt (I add honey sometimes). Lunch: salad every day lately. I go to the market once a week lately and just buy a bunch of crap for salad and wash/chop it all, bag it up, and take it to work Monday morning so I have it there every day. I constantly get asked if I want to order pizza/steaks/hoagies/chinese/fried crap, but if I already have food I paid for, I won't order delivery. I will maybe 2-3 times a month treat myself or else I'll go nuts, but a lot of times I'll just order something like a wrap or a burger and take off the bun, etc. Then dinner is whatever. But totally being mindful of how much I'm putting no my plate, and stopping when I'm full.

Also not really drinking anymore (except when "out" - a park, out to eat), and I'm not snacking at night anymore. One cup of coffee (no sugar) right after my morning run, then a cup of green tea (w honey) if I need jolt at work (also good for digestion and weight loss). And that's it. I had a pumpkin cookie after dinner tonight. But I ran my ass off this morning, so its ok. I'm still indulging, just not all the freaking time.

Sad to hear so many of yall fell off but I know how it is. Hoping to motivate some of you to get back at it. Eat a cookie. But just one! And get out there. Get ahead of next season!

Hello,

I'm looking for motivation and support. I'm going to lose about 80 pounds. Portion control (weight watchers) and walking.

Some of those coaster restraints were mighty tight this year. I could ride everything, but I'm on the verge of having to do a walk of shame.

So that's my motivation. We're planning a California trip for June and I don't want to miss out on any coasters because I probably won't be back for a long time.

Thanks!

welcome to the the thread, and TPR

check in as often as you can. .we try to support each other.

LOL. even tho many of us fall off the wagon in the past 2 months. I'm terrified of what the scale is going to show, but I've done it before, I know I can get back on my healthy eating and exercise plan!

^^ Thanks for the advice! Sorry to sound like a bunch of Debbie Downers after you came in with such good news, it's awesome to hear how much progress you made! Those moments when you realize what you're able to do / fit in after weight loss really make you feel good.

• 1 month later...

I hadn't weighed myself since mid October but did again this morning and down another 8 pounds. Still on the paleo "lite" thing I've been doing and running when I can (but its been raining a fu*kton not to mention I was sick a few weeks ago). But still - eight pounds!

• 2 months later...

oh, off the wagon, down the ravine, and bursting into flames.

I will get back on track, but I think I have to lose around 35 lbs to get back down to my goal weight now (haven't weighted in a while. . but haven't been able to really get back on track since September of last year).

• 2 weeks later...

So things truly spiraled out of control for a while, and I let my eating habits truly reach ugly levels. Wasn't even a thing caused by the holidays; I just lost all discipline.

Funny story (depending on your sense of humor, I guess lol) about what ultimately got be back on track. A few weeks ago I started having some serious abdominal cramps after certain meals, some more severe than others. One had me up all night on the floor of my shower, the pain was so bad. They went away for a couple weeks, so naturally, being the idiot that I am, I didn't think anything of it and fell back into bad habits. Two Saturdays ago, I pretty much hit my rock bottom in terms of food choices (let's put it this way - I'm at a point where if I never see bacon again, I'll be okay), so I worked to get things back under control, signed back up for my exercise routines that worked in the past and started to seriously watch what I eat. I even managed to lose 10 pounds.

That week, though, my abdominal cramps returned, subtle at first, but then became pretty significant. Final straw was when at the office, it suddenly felt like the left side of my abdomen completely seized up and wouldn't let go. I couldn't stop leaning over my desk, my hands were going numb, and I was sweating profusely. From the outside, I could see how someone looking at me would think I was having a heart attack. After an ambulance ride to the ER and some blood work, an ultrasound (it's a girl!) and an MRI, it turns out I was having gallbladder attacks stemming from gallstones. I had gallstones lodged in my common ducts in such a way that I had also developed pancreatitis and some liver issues. Fortunately, everything went really well for me in the hospital. They removed the gallstones and my gallbladder, the inflammation in my abdomen started reducing almost immediately, and I'm currently finishing my recovery at home, feeling about 95%.

Although gallbladder attacks run in my family (my mother and both of my aunts had theirs removed in their early 20s), I no doubt contributed to and exacerbated the issue by maintaining such a poor diet for so long. The silver lining to all of this is I have a renewed, strong desire to get back into serious shape, drop significant weight, and get my diet back under control once and for all (I'll have to anyway due to some of the new restrictions I have now that I have no gallbladder). I'm down 20 pounds from a few weeks ago and am not that far from being below 300lbs for the first time in a few years. I still have to take it easy for now, but hopefully I'll be able to ramp up my exercises once I'm fully healed from the surgery. The best thing though is that for the first time in a long while I'm feeling optimistic about what the future holds and am excited to make more progress instead of dreading it like I had been for a long time.

• 4 weeks later...

So a couple weeks ago I ended up back in the hospital again. Turns out they didn't get all of the gallstones out the first time, and a gallstone that was still in my bile duct lodged itself at the base, causing many of the same symptoms as the first time. A week later, after several tests, an endoscopy, having fluid drained, and a few rounds of antibiotics, I was finally discharged.

Fortunately, through all of it, I still managed to remain positive. I've stuck to a low-fat, low-carb diet, and am down 30 pounds in total from my heaviest. I'm back to where I was after returning from my honeymoon. I'm about to start reintroducing more strenuous exercise back into my routine, so hopefully I'll be able to continue on this path.

• 1 month later...

OK. . yes, I realize that it took me ~7 Months to put back on almost 40lbs.

but I've been eating healthy and exercising since April 1st!

why aren't I skinny yet???

This is an awesome thread and I am glad it exist. After taking the walk of a shame a few times on some Cedar Point coasters I took the whole 2018 season off from roller coasters. Recently I started keto and its really been working for me. I am down 23 pounds in 33 days. I am trying to lose like 15 pounds a month so hopefully I can stand a fighting change to get on Fury 325 by August. Last time I was there I could not fit.

This is an awesome thread and I am glad it exist. After taking the walk of a shame a few times on some Cedar Point coasters I took the whole 2018 season off from roller coasters. Recently I started keto and its really been working for me. I am down 23 pounds in 33 days. I am trying to lose like 15 pounds a month so hopefully I can stand a fighting change to get on Fury 325 by August. Last time I was there I could not fit.

Congrats on the weight lost already.

best of luck! I'm sure you can do it.

just stick to it with a goal in sight! (for me: I have Dragon*con in 4 1/2 months . . so that's my go to (vinyl doesn't stretch, so if I want to wear some of my "gear". . gotta lose enough to fit into it).. . and then I have a long ass flight for a trip later in the year, and wanna be comfy in the Economy plane seat!).

Since my grandfather died last June, I've gained 25 pounds because I have not been responsible and I just deal with stress by overeating.

I have decided to NOT go out to eat anywhere (NO EXCEPTIONS!) until I'm in the right frame of mind scalewise.

^ my condolences.

my trigger was a quad injury that took me out of regular exercise for 6 weeks. . and by then I had fallen into very bad habits (fast food, sodas) because they were easy, and had a ton of trouble getting back on plan.

didn't help that Thanksgiving, Chanukkah/Christmas, Anniversary, Valentines Day, and Birthdays came back to back to back in months Nov-April (still have my Bday on the 25th, but gonna cheat to have cake that day).

but now have enough time to take off before my Atlanta trip, so working towards my goal.

haven't weighed in since 4/1, when I was 218 -- but will weigh in tomorrow, as going out dancing tonight (so will work off a lot of water weight, plus whatever I drink/eat tonight).

but hopefully at LEAST 3-5 lbs in the past 2 weeks.

will know tomorrow.

So I started eating KETO just this past Sunday...

Miraculously lost 8 lbs already. 248 down to 239.8. I have no idea how, considering how much bacon and avocados I've eaten this week, but I did. And I haven't really cut my enormous portions of things, just stayed completely away from carbs and sugar. Exercised a little by running up and down stairs at work, but not too much. Have 2 amusement parks this weekend so I'm packing a cooler and getting a lot of walking in. I not only lost the weight but I feel thinner too. Less of a staple on El Toro, coming up.

I can get used to this. Just gotta keep it up and stay away from all the junk. I've switched to unsweetened iced tea and I think I'm finally starting to get used to it after notoriously drinking southern sweet tea the past few years.

Good luck to everyone, you can do this! I never thought I'd get out of my funk, but I'm REALLY trying this time.

not bad.. . weighed in at 211.6. . so down ~ 6 lbs.

I'll take it!.

stayed on track, even with a large Passover meal on Friday night at the Seder (yes, including deserts).

but I kept up with my daily walking, and weighed in today at 208.

so down 10lbs total in 3 weeks.