Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Taste Of Buffalo - 2016! Page: 16
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Philrad's Phoodie Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:12 am

^ I hope you don't mind Phil, I posted those two delicious looking photos of your burger
in the Mmmmmmmmm......Burger thread.

Looks amazing. And Michael's Reuben looks pretty nice, too!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:17 pm

^ Not a problem, Bill...I was conflicted over which thread to post these in! ;)

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 am

It's been a while since I have posted in this thread, so shame on me.

Yesterday, Michael and I went to the 2016 Taste Of Buffalo. TOB now proclaims to be the biggest two day food event in the country, despite Chicago still taking top honors for largest (plus they are a five day event).

One thing that I noticed this year (we were out of town for last year's event) was that they don't seem to offer as many of the smaller amount of samples for 2-4 tickets like they used to, instead wanting to dole out bigger servings for 6-8 tickets. My personal opinion is that this is a money grab by the restaurants to make as much money as they can at this event, which diminishes people's ability to sample smaller portions from each restaurant. I certainly hope that this trend doesn't continue because I don't want to attend only to get full from sampling 2-3 portions when I used to be able to sample around 10 before I was too stuffed to eat anymore.

I think that in the future, the best way to tackle this event would be to bring about four to six people so that everyone can sample more and not get full as quickly. Perhaps this is the method to their madness in order to get more people to come, who knows?

Oh well...are you guys ready to check it out?
DSC05863.JPG
This meatball from local restaurant: Osteria 166 won the award for "Best local comfort food." Yep, it definitely tasted like a meatball. Personally, I wished that I would have tried the much more daring sounding 'Risotto Stick'.

As soon as I saw someone else walk away with a Risotto Stick, I realized that I may have made the wrong choice. But with so many things to taste (over 60 restaurants participated), I didn't want to get two items from one particular restaurant!

Oh well, the meatball was just that...comforting. Although not one to brag, Michael said that my homemade meatballs tasted much better! :-)
DSC05864.JPG
As you can see, Western NY'ers take their food festivals seriously - the streets were PACKED!
DSC05865.JPG
I'm your Venus...I'm the fire at your desire.

A shout out to Bananarama and the other dude that originally recorded this song.
DSC05866.JPG
Another shout out to Venus for their Greek Fries.

These bad boys consisted of feta cheese, tomatoes (I picked around those because I hate raw tomatoes), onion and Greek dressing. Quite good!

Although I was all set to order a Lamb Gyro (I LOVE Gyros!), when I asked if I could get it without tomato, the girl said yes, asked the "Chef" and then came back and said that "if I wanted it without tomatoes that it would cost me double the amount of tickets"!!! I asked her, "So that would be 16 tickets to have something without one ingredient?" She said "Yes, Sir" so I said "No thanks, we'll just have the small order of Greek Fries, please)".

All I could think of was the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld! LMAO!
DSC05867.JPG
Let's change gears from Greek to Chinese.

One thing that I do love about Taste is the ability to try multiple ethnic foods. While I like to try different ethnic foods, Michael is somewhat reluctant to go to say a Thai, Burmese, or Indian restaurant.
DSC05868.JPG
The Ginger Garlic Chicken was okay - some of it was chewy and overdone, but the flavor was good despite not really tasting much ginger. Michael liked this more than I did.

Again with the bigger portions and higher amount of tickets needed though - boooooo! I wanted to try the pork egg roll or veggie lo mein, but this was just way too much chicken to add on another choice.
DSC05869.JPG
One can only eat for so long before the beer tent starts to beckon. I like the fact that they were focusing more on local beers this year and Flying Bison's Rusty Chain was a perfect compliment to our savory delights. One thing that I noticed this year was that they let patrons walk around the streets with beer whereas in the past, you weren't allowed to leave the beer tents. Given the way our society is today, this kind of surprised me!
DSC05870.JPG
Trying to be good and sample some healthier options this year, I next went with the Thai Cucumber Salad from Jack Astor's.

Yes, this restaurant is one of three chains that participate in TOB (in addition to Applebees and Joe's Crab Shack). Jack Astor's is Canadian I believe, so that automatically makes them awesome. ;-)

And yes folks....believe it or not, this was my FAVORITE taste this year! Fresh, healthy and whatever tangy dressing they used was a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Kudos to Jack Astor's!!!
DSC05871.JPG
Now we really switch gears and go to unhealthy!

This was Michael's mini-pancake hot fudge Sunday from Anderson's Frozen Custard. I had two strawberries from it, but that's it for me and the sweets - just not a fan. That and the fact that this type of stuff is so filling that I stay far, far away during food events like this.

This did in Michael for the rest of the event - no surprise there.
DSC05873.JPG
Next I went with another heart healthy option - the Thai Curry Noodle Bowl from Savor, which is a culinary arts restaurant located in Niagara Falls. This probably tied for 2nd place with the Greek Fries.

Actually, I take that back...this IS the #2 ranked item. Venus gets knocked out of #2 for their Soup Nazi-styled approach for the Gyro without tomatoes! ;-)

While I would have preferred more curry flavor, the noodles had an interesting, almost crunchy, under-cooked texture while the peanuts added a unique flavor when blended with fresh cilantro, scallions and fresh lime juice.

Good stuff!
DSC05874.JPG
Last up, I had to try some Indian food. In the past, Indian food has always ranked high on my list of top tastes.

This was the Chicken Makhani w/rice, which is basically what we know as Indian Butter Chicken. The sauce was great with a little splash of Sriracha on top, but the chicken was overcooked and too dry. I would much prefer smaller cubed chicken, but it was still an okay dish. However, I give them kudos for having the four ticket sample, which is more than enough in my opinion. This stuffed me to the gills to where I actually had to pitch some of the leftover rice.

I do have a jar of butter chicken sauce in my cupboard so I am going to try and make this myself, add more curry and spices and pre-marinade/grill the chicken beforehand.
DSC05875.JPG
Well, this wraps another year of Taste Of Buffalo for us...thanks for reading!
DSC05862.JPG
BONUS PIC!

This was a homemade pizza that I did a couple of weeks ago. While the crust was store bought, there was fresh basil from my garden on it, along with fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, cubes of smoked gouda and diced onions/green peppers. The sauce was a blend of tomato vodka and creamy alfredo that I had leftover in the fridge

It turned out great!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:37 pm

I hate your metabolism, Phil! :p (Or what appears to be...)

It all looks awesome - what more can I drool, here?

Thanks for a thoroughly disgusting (YUM) TR. Shameless.

:wink: The pizza looks AWESOME, too!

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks Bill!

And yes, luckily a high metabolism runs in the family although there are two things that I really need to work on....and those are: Eating later in the evening versus "normal people dinner time" and my love for things like chicken wings and pizza. I hope that my disdain for sweet things like doughnuts, cakes, cookies, soda and ice cream sort of makes up for that though?

Oh and the drinking...I should probably drink less too. ;)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm

^ I actually stopped drinking any alcohol whatsoever all of June, and this month, too.
Just looking to see if a)The weight changes - at - all (and so far, it ain't), and b)How I'm
generally doing, having not drunk a drink every night (or other). And so far, I'm just as
nasty and bitchy sober, than with a drink in my paw, ha!

I have major "cocktail events" coming up in August, so I may just stop the drought, and
have them during those dates, only. Which is only a few. I think.

Pizza still looks good, there, by the way. :wink:

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Duff » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:48 am

^^^^ Drool-worthy pizza. Philrad, is that basil on top? Nice touch.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 pm

This was a homemade pizza that I did a couple of weeks ago. While the crust was store bought, there was fresh basil from my garden on it, along with fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, cubes of smoked gouda and diced onions/green peppers. The sauce was a blend of tomato vodka and creamy alfredo that I had leftover in the fridge

It's all awesome pizza! :)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Duff » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:41 am

^ Ah, good catch Nrthwnd. I missed that.

Sunday morning breakfast shot!

IMAG2544.jpg

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Nice!

Love hash and eggs...and you have the hot sauce nearby too!

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random