TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Snowboarding/Skiing

coastercrazy 9

The guys at Killington are at it again. Despite having one of the worst seasons ever for snowfall and a forecast tomorrow of 87 degrees, Superstar quad spins at 8 AM sharp.

Get a load of this trail... Lol are you not entertained?

image.thumb.jpg.f9ac5d839911c319b295cc7058e45580.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had a decent season here in NC. besides the fact our mountains are more like hills. and my race season was cut short because i got a minor concussion. *sigh*

I'll gladly trade our Midwest speed bumps for what you have in NC It's not Summit County, CO, but you could have it much worse, lol...

we had a decent season here in NC. besides the fact our mountains are more like hills. and my race season was cut short because i got a minor concussion. *sigh*

I'll gladly trade our Midwest speed bumps for what you have in NC It's not Summit County, CO, but you could have it much worse, lol...

i will say sugar is pree dope. but catt is meh. i really REALLY wanna go to big sky

They didn't run the lift but it looks like for those willing to hike there was June skiing despite one of the worst winters ever. I'm always entertained by the summer defying shenanigans at Killington.

From June 1st: K Zone Forums

• 9 months later...

Okay, time to bump this.

We've sort of made it our mission this year to learn to ski, and while it's a process we're slowly improving. We're not quite parallel yet but we're definitely improving steadily. This is not an easy sport to learn by any stretch, but we're absolutely loving every minute of it.

This season was looking like a bust weather-wise, with our home mountain (Hunter) fighting to stay open with a pretty impressive amount of March snowmaking but this noreaster should be a real shot in the arm for northeastern Ski areas. Anyone planning on heading out there and taking advantage of this massive storm?

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, time to bump this.

We've sort of made it our mission this year to learn to ski, and while it's a process we're slowly improving. We're not quite parallel yet but we're definitely improving steadily. This is not an easy sport to learn by any stretch, but we're absolutely loving every minute of it.

This season was looking like a bust weather-wise, with our home mountain (Hunter) fighting to stay open with a pretty impressive amount of March snowmaking but this noreaster should be a real shot in the arm for northeastern Ski areas. Anyone planning on heading out there and taking advantage of this massive storm?

Aaah Hunter Mountain. One of my first experiences skiing. But I skied there around the time that Hunter Mt., NY was the "snow-version" of the infamous 'death-by-water' Action Park, NJ! Hunter was a playground for huge tour groups of skiers who'd snap into bindings for the very first time in their lives - and head immediately for the steepest Double Diamonds. (K-2, a winding treacherous trail of sheer ice was their fave first entry into the sport!) And, then there was 'Belt Parkway,' - a fairly narrow intermediate run, the only main drag down to the lodge at day's end. 'Dodge-ems' on skis. Survivors buy the first round!

CoasterBill, I sure hope Hunter has gotten their act together these days. It should be a really great home mountain, and the few times I was able to ski it on an uncrowded weekday, I genuinely enjoyed it.

Applause to you for working on honing your skills; the learning curve is, thank goodness, a lot less painful today with the great structural changes in equipment. (I learned to ski on the much loooonger skis and there were zilch short cuts to becoming a parallel skier - those long suckers did NOT 'swish around' like the short, curved skis do, today. I know I'm dating myself, but in 'those days,' you went from snowplows to stem christies, to christies to parallel (and, gasp, wedeln) - and lots of lessons were a must to becoming proficient.)

Continue to enjoy the learning process - am so glad that you're loving it. For those of us with an Addiction to Adrenaline, (yes, all you TPR coaster fans!), skiing/boarding is one AMAZING and exhilarating sport. I've now skied around the country and Europe, and there is so much fun ahead of you the more techniques you master. I NEVER stop learning - always something new to conquer! (Would someday love to tackle boarding. My first and solo experience was under the guidance of a real bummer of an instructor. I can still hear her evil chuckles as I slid down the slope face first, breaking my prescription ski goggles! I always swore I'd try again - and heck maybe I will.

I suspect that there is a large correlation of Coaster lovers to those who share a passion for Downhill Schussing?!?! An adrenaline rush 12 months a year -what could be bad!?

Alice

• 4 weeks later...

Hunter does seem to have gotten it's act together and it seems like a really nice mountain. One problem we're running into though is that their learning area is excellent but once you graduate from that (which we're close to doing) you have a really limited amount of blues to work with. They have a ton of great learning areas and a ton of expert runs but very little in between. I feel like we'll need to venture out a bit more next season.

I feel like we made some great improvements, but to be fair our last time out it was almost 70 degrees and snow that soft could make anyone look good. Hats off to their snowmaking and grooming crews for making it to mid April though. That was no small feat this year. It's a shame that the season came to an end right as we were starting to figure out what the hell we were doing. I have the itch to get out there again but since the American Dream mall can't get their act together and we're definitely not ready to go up to Killington and tackle Superstar I guess I'll have to settle for coaster riding to get my adrenaline fix. I'll live

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post (the thread has been dead), but there's been some big news lately which is kind of surprising since tomorrow is June 1st but it seems like a few resorts are planning on ridiculously long seasons this year.

In the east, thanks to a ridiculous snowmaking assault, Killington will be spinning Superstar tomorrow and lift tickets are free. This is the first time a mountain in the eastern US has had lift served skiing in June since 2002. It's patchy but it's top to bottom (and once again... it's free).

18814835_10154847557559401_1770259010099420959_o.jpg?oh=51614bb400175390399bd049a970f8c0&oe=59ABB81E

Meanwhile out west, Arapahoe Basin has extended their season to June 11th and Squaw has hinted at potential year round operation this year. This won't likely happen, but there's a strong chance that they'll be open beyond their traditional 4th of July closing date. Mammoth Mountain is planning on having daily operation into August.

It's definitely been a good year for ski resorts in the US (which is a welcome change) and it's nice to see resorts extending their seasons beyond their typical closing dates.

If I was within a 4 hour driving distance of that, I'd pack my stuff and head over pronto. That sounds incredible... sketchy, considering patches of grass, but I really wish I could try it!

• 6 months later...

Yeah, last year was amazing. In Northern California, we had so many places open for so much longer. This year is off to a slow start, only about 18" at our highest elevation resort, Mt. Rose, and about 3/4 of the mountain is open. Could be worse, but I'm hoping for some big storms!