TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ I got to see the original "42nd Street" on Broadway a year or so, after it won the Tony for Best Musical! Jerry Orbach was still in it (loved him, as I got to first see him in Chicago, earlier). Was in a front Mezz Balcony seat, so the curtain lifting with "all those dancing feet" was really thrilling to see. Awesome show it was.

Here's the shows I did at TUTS:

1969 - Carousel - chorus

1970 - My Fair Lady - dancer

1971 - Hello Dolly! - dancer

1972 - Brigadoon - dancer

1975 - Fiddler On The Roof - Perchik

1976 - Camelot - backstage dresser

1977 - West Side Story - Riff

2015 - Oliver! - pre-show Fair Barker

I loved doing Brigadoon, because we did actual sword dancing, which was crazy and a challenge to do. Then there was the "Bottle Dance" in Fiddler, which Perchik got to do as well, even though 'he' wasn't part of Anatevka. Hello Dolly! was great because of all the costuming, AND we got one of those "around the orchestra" walkways, which was a challenge for everybody especially "Put On Your Sunday Clothes," and "Waiter's Gallop."

West Side Story I'm pretty sure, I enjoyed doing the most, because it was the first time (of eventually five times through the years!) they produced it, and Riff was a great role for dance and dialogue. And "Bernardo" and I got to literally sit out Act 2, except for the "Somewhere Ballet" since we were killed at the end of Act 1, lol. The bows were especially moving, as me, and the actors playing Bernardo and Tony, didn't move at all during the bows. We were among the cast but weren't exposed till the very end, then solo spots were brought up on us, we could hear the audience's applause increase in sound, then the lights went down, curtains closed. It was one of The Best & Most Unique Bows I was ever part of, and I still treasure it to this day.

I really did some great shows back then, most of them in full 2-3 weeks' performances, and not like in rep like they are doing them, now. With minimum sets, able to be yanked up and replaced with the other show's sets. Yuk. Our sets were nailed down, not to be moved until the production was over. I liked that old fashioned "retro way" of doing shows, in Stanley Park. Back then.

TUTS-HistoryTent2014.JPG.520b17703ae3abdfe7529dd6f13fabef.JPG

In the TUTS History Tent ~ Carousel ~ The first TUTS show (and mine too), in 1969.

Back then, the company started out as "Theatre In The Park." Then, later on, TUTS.

^ I got to see the original "42nd Street" on Broadway a year or so, after it won the Tony for Best Musical! Jerry Orbach was still in it (loved him, as I got to first see him in Chicago, earlier). Was in a front Mezz Balcony seat, so the curtain lifting with "all those dancing feet" was really thrilling to see. Awesome show it was.

Here's the shows I did at TUTS:

1969 - Carousel - chorus

1970 - My Fair Lady - dancer

1971 - Hello Dolly! - dancer

1972 - Brigadoon - dancer

1975 - Fiddler On The Roof - Perchik

1976 - Camelot - backstage dresser

1977 - West Side Story - Riff

2015 - Oliver! - pre-show Fair Barker

I loved doing Brigadoon, because we did actual sword dancing, which was crazy and a challenge to do. Then there was the "Bottle Dance" in Fiddler, which Perchik got to do as well, even though 'he' wasn't part of Anatevka. Hello Dolly! was great because of all the costuming, AND we got one of those "around the orchestra" walkways, which was a challenge for everybody especially "Put On Your Sunday Clothes," and "Waiter's Gallop."

West Side Story I'm pretty sure, I enjoyed doing the most, because it was the first time (of eventually five times through the years!) they produced it, and Riff was a great role for dance and dialogue. And "Bernardo" and I got to literally sit out Act 2, except for the "Somewhere Ballet" since we were killed at the end of Act 1, lol. The bows were especially moving, as me, and the actors playing Bernardo and Tony, didn't move at all during the bows. We were among the cast but weren't exposed till the very end, then solo spots were brought up on us, we could hear the audience's applause increase in sound, then the lights went down, curtains closed. It was one of The Best & Most Unique Bows I was ever part of, and I still treasure it to this day.

I really did some great shows back then, most of them in full 2-3 weeks' performances, and not like in rep like they are doing them, now. With minimum sets, able to be yanked up and replaced with the other show's sets. Yuk. Our sets were nailed down, not to be moved until the production was over. I liked that old fashioned "retro way" of doing shows, in Stanley Park. Back then.

What a treasure of shows you performed in! "Applause, Applause!" (As' Betty' Bacall would say.) I really enjoyed reading your fun memories of doing all those shows from that exceptional time in theater! (LOVED your special BOW as Riff in West Side Story!!!)

I saw all these shows though can't remember which ones I saw as "originals." Though I bet you've seen more 'originals' than I have! You put me to shame! You've had some truly wonderful theater experiences! (By the way, great shot of you standing in front of the Carousel poster. That show is a true classic (and, no, I did not see the original). Though I DID get to play Louise in a school production. Quite the experience for a non -dancer like moi!!!

Alice

^ Do you have favourite shows you were in, through the years? And are you still doing any theatre, lately?

I stopped literally, after 1981, and went on "Withdrawn" on my Actra (Cdn film/tv) and Equity memberships.

IMG_1051a.jpg.b317b4d0b222e48517d4b96e13a552df.jpg

Alumni Night at TUTS, Aug.2016 ~ Us originals from WSS in 1977 ~ attending the 5th Production of WSS!

Holding the sign were our Maria, Anita and Anybodys. I'm the only one with a hat on, lol.

^ Do you have favourite shows you were in, through the years? And are you still doing any theatre, lately?

I stopped literally, after 1981, and went on "Withdrawn" on my Actra (Cdn film/tv) and Equity memberships.

Such a GREAT shot of you - and your troupe!  (I can definitely 'see myself' in that gang!)    I would send pix but I am technically challenged....but you can see a little pic of me on Facebook - Alice Kane...sitting with my twin's dog. (There are a few other FB people with my name.....but I'm the "Alice" from NY who graduated Adelphi U.  I rarely go on FB, so mine is a pretty 'basic' page (except for LOTS of Shih Tzu - I'm involved with the Nat'l Club & have many "doggy" friends.)

Favourite shows?!  Well......I did very few musicals (except for Bye Bye Birdie and Carousel - loved em both!) but my major tours were the old classic comedies:  Barefoot in the Park; Butterflies Are Free; Lovers & Other Strangers, et al.  Butterflies Are Free was probably my favorite as I performed it with someone I was very close to. (Tho Barefoot in the Park was great fun!)   I did some Off-Broadway stuff which I enjoyed - even if some of the shows were hilariously weird.

I am still a member of SAG (did some film stuff and lotsa extra work!); I am on Honorable Withdrawal from AEA - I did that last year so I could put off paying dues until/UNLESS I get an Equity show. (And the AFTRA union is no longer.....)  My biggest dilemma is that I "looked young for my age" (great in REAL life but not in theater) and I began to become an "aging ingenue" - rather than develop into the "mature leading lady's" roles."  So.....if I ever get my act together and get new pix, I hope to get more work in SAG....but it t'ain't happening yet!   (By the way, don't ever count yourself out....you're a great 'type!')

It's a delight to meet a fellow thespian - on a roller coaster website!!

Alice (who was born an amusement park 'fan girl.')

Tonight we got to see the the amazing Cirque Du Soleil show "VOLTA" in the Grand Chapiteau (the Big Top) in Tampa! This was my first Cirque "tent" show and I can't wait to experience more! There is something special, and dare I say it, magical, about seeing a Cirque show in a big tent. It feels almost otherworldly to look up during the show and realize how intimate the entire experience is. Plus Cirque has the whole experience down to a science with easy access, very clean (outdoor) restrooms, a huge snack and merch area and great overall service.

From the official website: "VOLTA tells a spellbinding story about the freedom to choose and the thrill of blazing your own trail. Inspired in part by the adventurous spirit that fuels the culture of action sports, the show weaves acrobatics in a visually striking world driven by a stirring melodic score. VOLTA is a story of transformation. It is about being true to oneself, fulfilling one’s true potential, and the power of the group to make that possible. It celebrates freedom as a

movement."

While the description and most of the advertising mention the "action sports" part of the show, that is really not what brings the show together or what is even the main focus. The story has changed a bit since the original launch, but it focuses on a boy who is a dreamer and his journey in realizing that anything is possible. It sounds a bit cliche, but it REALLY works. The music is AMAZINGLY good - it is stirring, memorable and made real by an incredible live band and singers. The set is dynamic and comes to life with some really cool lifts and a HUGE finale BMX track which is by far the best act in the show. This is a show that I found myself engaged, smiling and not wanting it to end... and that is the perfect way to experience the magic of Cirque!

"VOLTA" is performing in Tampa until March 18th and then it moves to the Meadowlands in NJ, Long Island NY and Philadelphia PA. Tickets are available at https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/volta

Cirque1.JPG.0863798ebcac716b377029503c659e49.JPG

This logo really captures the vibe of the show.

Cirque10.thumb.JPG.c7ae067dbef675c785c01df98378f9b9.JPG

This was the highlight by far. I have NO interest in BMX bikes, but this was an insanely amazing act.

Cirque11.thumb.JPG.bee9c5f109f0ba9428dab1f3c654e0fb.JPG

Oh no! It is over already!

Cirque12.thumb.JPG.5e8de3fbdf2861dc027a84ad74d40fc8.JPG

They did a great curtain call where they walked through the audience. Love it!

Cirque13.thumb.JPG.34c2b376549753a29b00c534e3a1fccf.JPG

Bye Bye beautiful tent! Can't wait to see what magic Cirque has next!

Cirque2.thumb.JPG.f64fb5364cffbbba79b3f67333243196.JPG

WOW! I can't describe how impressive the tent is to see in person. It really is amazingly grand.

Cirque3.thumb.JPG.0563e738f17d9e60518fb1740ba72b5e.JPG

This show had a cool interactive drum feature, you bang on the drums to change the lighting on different parts of the tent!

Cirque4.thumb.JPG.e1fac856fac09996168c6459f955929c.JPG

This is the waiting area which has the merchandise and F&B. This is actually a separate tent!

Cirque5.thumb.JPG.db8fd850d196cdb95cba5464338753aa.JPG

HUGE merch selection and really good stuff.

Cirque6.thumb.JPG.591f88e1fa18b990e3d3942f0024d26b.JPG

Lots of very cool items that I wanted to bring home!

Cirque7.PNG.50bd4b47f1f192fe74c8aa334b25f699.PNG

The costume designs in this show are fantastic.

Cirque8.thumb.JPG.3d6a6288d6ba8c061f4382eca75c5831.JPG

The strength and flexibility is amazing.

Cirque9.thumb.JPG.caddbc9bc40503cbeb6aea81b0ef98ae.JPG

Every minute of the show brought new surprises.

Just announced, that the original Broadway Cast Recording of Prince of Broadway (A Revue of Shows of Harold Prince),

will be released in April! Yay! I knew all about this musical review, but it lasted only a few months, and was gone by

the fall! Now, there are a lot of musicals nowadays, that get CDs made, even (in some true cases) if the show only opened

and closed within one week! So, I thought maybe this was definitely possible for this show....... Heard nothing......Till now.

The Playlist: (They're assuming we're all fans enough, to know which song is from which show, etc. And they're right, LOL!)

1. Overture

2. Heart

3. Something's Coming (Intro) / Tonight

4. Tonight at Eight

5. Will He Like Me?

6. You've Got Possibilities

7. The Right Girl

8. If I Were a Rich Man

9. Cabaret

10. So What?

11. Company Prelude

12. The Ladies Who Lunch

13. Being Alive

14. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

15. Ol' Man River

16. Now You Know

17. This Is Not Over Yet

18. Dressing Them Up

19. The Worst Pies in London

20. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

21. The Music of the Night

22. Do the Work

Actually, it is an interesting test for us "Princi-files" to

actually name the shows these songs came from! There are

a few I'm still not too sure of. Surprised me!

prince_of_broadway.jpg.d08e6728846daaf0c3cd8837658565b5.jpg

Release Date: APRIL 20

Tonight we got to see the the amazing Cirque Du Soleil show "VOLTA" in the Grand Chapiteau (the Big Top) in Tampa! This was my first Cirque "tent" show and I can't wait to experience more! There is something special, and dare I say it, magical, about seeing a Cirque show in a big tent. It feels almost otherworldly to look up during the show and realize how intimate the entire experience is. Plus Cirque has the whole experience down to a science with easy access, very clean (outdoor) restrooms, a huge snack and merch area and great overall service.

]

Disneyfan1313, you've really sold me on this Cirque Du Soleil show! The first Cirque show I saw many years ago was in a 'tent' - Lincoln Center - and it was the most extraordinary experience. The seating was in deck chairs and it was like lying in the grass and seeing a sky gone mad. Thanks so much for posting this and including those great photos! I'll have to keep an eye out for the show.

Alice

Just announced, that the original Broadway Cast Recording of Prince of Broadway (A Revue of Shows of Harold Prince),

will be released in April! Yay! I knew all about this musical review, but it lasted only a few months, and was gone by

the fall! Now, there are a lot of musicals nowadays, that get CDs made, even (in some true cases) if the show only opened

and closed within one week! So, I thought maybe this was definitely possible for this show....... Heard nothing......Till now.

The Playlist: (They're assuming we're all fans enough, to know which song is from which show, etc. And they're right, LOL!)

1. Overture

2. Heart

3. Something's Coming (Intro) / Tonight

4. Tonight at Eight

5. Will He Like Me?

6. You've Got Possibilities

7. The Right Girl

8. If I Were a Rich Man

9. Cabaret

10. So What?

11. Company Prelude

12. The Ladies Who Lunch

13. Being Alive

14. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

15. Ol' Man River

16. Now You Know

17. This Is Not Over Yet

18. Dressing Them Up

19. The Worst Pies in London

20. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

21. The Music of the Night

22. Do the Work

Actually, it is an interesting test for us "Princi-files" to

actually name the shows these songs came from! There are

a few I'm still not too sure of. Surprised me!

I'm in the dark, too, on a few of those songs.....where they came from! I'll have to do a little "research." Thanks for alerting us to the CD - definitely a "must!" The title Prince of Broadway sounds very familiar but I know I never saw it.

Alice

^ I will admit, my three that I have no idea about, are #4, #17, + #22.

I believe there is an original song or two in here, as well as those from past Prince shows?

So, I think #22, "Do The Work," may be one of them. Not from a show, but from this show.

And I always smile, because I know what unlikely show, #6 is from.

HINT: it's sung by a young Linda Lavin, as the character of "Sydney."

***I'll post the answer on Monday, if anybody wants to know.

^ I will admit, my three that I have no idea about, are #4, #17, + #22.

I believe there is an original song or two in here, as well as those from past Prince shows?

So, I think #22, "Do The Work," may be one of them. Not from a show, but from this show.

And I always smile, because I know what unlikely show, #6 is from.

HINT: it's sung by a young Linda Lavin, as the character of "Sydney."

***I'll post the answer on Monday, if anybody wants to know.

I DO, I DO!

Alice

Okay. Here's the answer to "the above question". And there's no way around it, but to post it...

It's A Bird...It's A Plane...It's SUPERMAN Ta-daaah! Harold Prince both produced and directed this musical.

The wonderful (and sorely missed) Jack Cassidy was the lead, as a villainous-like reporter for another newspaper.

Or, maybe the same paper, the Daily Planet . Actually, I forget. One or the other. Anyway, Linda Lavin

played his assistant, Sydney, who had eyes for Clark Kent, played by Bob Holiday. And Patricia Marand

played Lois Lane who had eyes for Superman, naturally! And 'naturally', Cassidy's character had eyes for Lois Lane...

Complex, hmm?

One of the first comics-to-Broadway musicals. 1966. Pre-Annie.

Superman00.jpg.091c845389c0eff3d3c382dee23d0835.jpg

Linda Lavin and Bob Holiday performing "You've Got Possibilities," from Superman.

Superman01.jpg.bd02a2c08dafba3a1c8750c1788c11aa.jpg

Marian Torres & Ramin Karimloo

in the Tokyo run of 'Prince of Broadway' performing "Possibilities."

Superman02.jpg.70e9c1dc0fdcc1495d09bcb8fe2135d0.jpg

The Original Broadway Cast recording.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Okay. Here's the answer to "the above question". And there's no way around it, but to post it...

It's A Bird...It's A Plane...It's SUPERMAN Ta-daaah! Harold Prince both produced and directed this musical.

The wonderful (and sorely missed) Jack Cassidy was the lead, as a villainous-like reporter for another newspaper.

Or, maybe the same paper, the Daily Planet . Actually, I forget. One or the other. Anyway, Linda Lavin

played his assistant, Sydney, who had eyes for Clark Kent, played by Bob Holiday. And Patricia Marand

played Lois Lane who had eyes for Superman, naturally! And 'naturally', Cassidy's character had eyes for Lois Lane...

Complex, hmm?

One of the first comics-to-Broadway musicals. 1966. Pre-Annie.

Can't decide if it sounds familiar because I HEARD of this show....or because of the Superman TV series. (Of course, I was a 'mere child' at the time....so maybe when my short-term memory fades...giving way to only long-term living-in-the-past memory...then perhaps I will know for sure. Either way, great cast! (P.S. Love your 'cats riding the litter box' pic!)

Alice

^ My avatar actually represents our poor cat, Stella. Just let outside recently, after over four months in the house,

24/7. She's a Bengal-cross and they really love the outdoors, so we don't hold her back, even with a cat door. So,

since last weekend she's been in and out of the house so many times, this avatar seemed appropriate to her

newly regained freedom.

Pardon for the non-musical Sidebar ~ Meow.

IMG_6104.JPG.45b492be2f80797b9e8bdd0b349a3f73.JPG

What she looked like some time ago. Now free as the wind! And furrier, too!

^ My avatar actually represents our poor cat, Stella. Just let outside recently, after over four months in the house,

24/7. She's a Bengal-cross and they really love the outdoors, so we don't hold her back, even with a cat door. So,

since last weekend she's been in and out of the house so many times, this avatar seemed appropriate to her

newly regained freedom.

Pardon for the non-musical Sidebar ~ Meow.

Stella is beautiful! Her elegant Bengal background is very evident. I hope that whatever put her into The Cone is now on the mend!

Alice ~ "wooof" sez Violet

^ Thanks.

IDEA**** Since Sondheim took on Sweeney Todd so brilliantly, maybe he should do a musical treatment of

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" ...

Hmmmmm....I wonder if Harvey Weinstein and Georgina Chapman can sing?!!! Actually, that would make a brilliant musical! Imagine the sheer fun of casting that!

Alice

^ No, I want actors who can sing the roles. It could be a really interesting four-character musical.

We've known of solo and two person musicals (i.e I Do! I Do!), and there was Romance! Romance!

which was a four person musical, too. This needs that minimalism, as well as an EPIC visual production!

But thanks for the suggestions. Harvey Weinstein and Georgina Chapman? Euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

P.S. The musical could be titled Who's Afraid?... and leave it at that.

^ No, I want actors who can sing the roles. It could be a really interesting four-character musical.

We've known of solo and two person musicals (i.e I Do! I Do!), and there was Romance! Romance!

which was a four person musical, too. This needs that minimalism, as well as an EPIC visual production!

But thanks for the suggestions. Harvey Weinstein and Georgina Chapman? Euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

P.S. The musical could be titled Who's Afraid?... and leave it at that.

I think you need to get that idea out there.  To Sondheim!  (Actually, a 4-character musical..."Who's Afraid"...IS quite an intriguing concept.  Be sure to get your credit, tho!  

As envisioned by "Nrthwnd
)  When you mentioned I Do! I Do!, I was struck by how a two-person musical was totally feasible.  (Actually, as a "youngster,"I was lucky enough to see the original of that show with Mary Martin and Robert Preston.  Even as a kid, I felt the poignancy of the plot and music.)  I was fortunate to have parents who attended all the Broadway musicals of that era (from Me and Juliet, on!). And even at a young age, they would get my sister and me tickets to shows they'd seen and thought we'd enjoy...put us on a train...and send us off.  (Times were different, then...lol.)

Anyway, love your idea of a small character musical with minimalism and EPIC visual.

Alice ("There's strange new world that you enter when you say I do.  I do!")

^ Actually, when I sent Steve a birthday card, I also added a couple of questions about his newest project,

keeping him and others busy, opening in London very soon...

COMPANY with a Female lead... Bobbi.

Now imagine what's possibly got to be changed (or not) both in the libretto and the score

to accommodate the changed sex of the lead character? I asked him if this would

be a big challenge to him as far as the score was concerned? And the libretto, too?

Maybe I'll get a small note back, answering that question. Maybe not.

^ Actually, when I sent Steve a birthday card, I also added a couple of questions about his newest project,

keeping him and others busy, opening in London very soon...

COMPANY with a Female lead... Bobbi.

Now imagine what's possibly got to be changed (or not) both in the libretto and the score

to accommodate the changed sex of the lead character? I asked him if this would

be a big challenge to him as far as the score was concerned? And the libretto, too?

Maybe I'll get a small note back, answering that question. Maybe not.

PLEASE get back to me if you get any interesting info from Sondheim re COMPANY! (Am intrigued how you got to know him -- if you wish to share.) Like you, I'm really curious to see how he handles the changed sex issue, musically - 'Bobbi.' Oh, the possibilities! I bet he'll keep mum on his choices...altho if the show is in rehearsals now, London spies must surely be afoot ! Is Patti LuPone still playing Joanne? "Here's to the Ladies Who Lunch..."

Alice

^ My hopes on "Company" is that a CD and a DVD comes out of this production. Truth, "Company" has been the most covered Sondheim musical,

I've ever known about! And no matter how it all turns out - it could close early, heavens forbid! - it should be recorded, in some fashion. I'm sure it will be.

I wrote to Sondheim through the theatre that "Into The Woods" was originally playing in. I was in Los Angeles on a trip, in 1987, staying at a friend's in W.Hollywood. Picked up a local paper which had letters and reviews about the "new Sondheim show" Into The Woods. (I also got the brand new 2 CD set of the first London FOLLIES, just released.) Something one letter said, made me feel different, so I wrote back to the paper, refuting what the writer had sent (I never saw if they actually printed it or not - was back home by then), and then followed it up back home, and just decided to write him, through the theatre, and ask the question about this "musical passage" I had learned to enjoy in the CD. Also, I told him how much I enjoyed "No One is Alone," and to me, it became his most recent "Send In The Clowns." And mailed the note.

Weeks later, he wrote me back! Typed on simple notepaper. And we've been short noting each other, mainly me to him, through the years, including Holiday cards and his birthday. Which then contain any questions I have for him, hoping he'll answer them. I got to actually meet him, where he still lives now in New York, back in 1989. Got invited to come and visit, did so and chatted as best I could, under the OMG circumstances I was in, and it's one of my Broadway Highlights in Life, heh. And I got myself a souvenir from him, from his collection of recordings of shows, concerts, all something to do with his work...

...And I picked a great choice, as he told me so, back then.

P.S. Just been catching up on a few of the new songs/numbers being created for the new "FROZEN: The Musical",

opening this coming Thursday on Broadway, on YouTube! It's starting to blow me away, that there are a few really

awesome new songs Kristen and Robert have written for this production. The CD doesn't come out till June, but

there are already, songs done by the cast members, stripped down from the show, and presented in concert settings. In Youtube!

Go find!

FrozenTheMusical.jpg.a3456951e54e8a41070f75c601380a6b.jpg

Opening on March 22, 2018. Bright Blessings to all for an Amazing Opening Night!