TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I saw Solo a few days ago. It was fun I liked it, but completely felt unnecessary. I wasn't be biggest fan of the idea that we got a movie about Han Solo, I don't want movies to focus on a character we already know well enough.

I see comments like this quite a lot. It makes me wonder if Lucas had made the Han Solo movie before Episode I (like he wanted to), would the response have been as negative? Or is this backlash from too much, too soon?

Whit me it's definitely that ___A Star Wars story sound like a great idea to expand the universe. My hope was that we're going to get more Rogue One and less Solo type of movies. I would love a movie set years before Episode 1 and Old Republic would be enough to sell me on the movie. But I understand that Lucasfilm now want to play it more safe with the Empire time-line, I'm cool with that (even though I like to see the new Canon go anywhere else because I get the 19 year gap fatigue a little.) I just hope we don't get Kenobi a Star Wars movie. I'm sure we get a great personal story whit our hermit we all love, but I rather see Rogue Two (I know that wouldn't be the title.) About how the rebels get the plans for the second death star. Or a Clone Wars movie about a group of clones we don't know. Yes they are allowed to sneak in Rex, Cody and Ashoka Or even Mace, Yoda, Obi-wan, Greivous I don't care how big of a role they have. I just couldn't get exited about Solo.

I didn't know until about a week before I watched Solo that George Lucas came whit the idea. If they announced in 2010 that George Lucas would make one last movie about Han Solo I would have lost my cool. Another Live Action Star Wars movie after 5 years. I would just be sold on Star Wars, these days I'm no longer sold on that alone. I will keep watching yes but if you announce a slate of movies where you allow yourself to go crazy, keep pouring out events. That's my opinion.

I like to say till now I enjoy every Star Wars movies (I'm aware I'm one of the few who do.) All movies have their moment but none are flawless (Episode's 1 and 2 have the worst Star Wars moments ever and the Cantonica stuff in 8 could be on he cutting floor for all I care.) Each movie I love to re-watch and I do that a lot, till now there is one scene that is just to terrible that I can't take it seriously (Episode 2 the conversation between Anakin and Padme on Naboo after their kiss.). I can see why people hate the prequels and the Sequels. I just think the Star Wars Fandom is to diffrent for Lucasfilm to understand what we want collective. But I'm glad to watch Star Wars Celebration each time. It does not matter if Ray Parker, Mark Hamil or Daisy Ridly shows on stage people cheer. Why? Because people who come to those shows come because they already like the product, Whether that is OT, Prequel, Sequel, R1 or Solo stuff. I know people really like to see a Kenobi movie I don't, If we get it okay I'll watch it but all I care for is that the movie entertains me.

Between Annihilation and Deadpool 2, I can't choose which is my favorite movie of the year so far.

I can't wait to get a proper 4K TV with HDR and a UHD blu ray player to play my 4K disc of Annihilation, I bet it's going to look insane.

Also, the official poster for "HTTYD: The Hidden World" was released today, trailer next Thursday

qm3fZ5E.jpg

I saw Solo the other day, and I didn't really like it. It near the bottom of Star Wars movies for me. Jacob was so bored in it, and I was pretty bored as well. There were some good parts, but for a Star Wars movie, it seemed pretty slow.

I liked Solo. I thought the actor who played Han Solo did a good job and it was enjoyable. It definitely wasn't as good as the other Star Wars films though.

I really wish Star Wars would create new stories and then tie them into the main Episodes a la the Marvel movies. The Star Wars universe is expansive enough that they have enough material to give us something new. I think part of the reason Solo didn't do too well is that we all knew the story going in.

For me, Solo was meh. It existed, but barely seemed to have a reason to exist other than to fatten Disney's wallets. The marketing for the movie was meh and the only reason I saw it was because it had the Star Wars tag on it. And at the same time, I am quite curious as to what Lord and Miller's original vision for the project was before they left the film.

Saw Deadpool 2 yesterday, kinda late on that one. But yeah wasn't a huge fan of it. I liked the movie, I just thought it draged the good depressing part on for too long. The jokes in that time frame felt sometimes forced. I did think there were some good jokes in the movie. I don't know might be because I expected a fun version on Terminator, that didn't happen till about the 2nd act or so. I think that and the fact that the movie didn't surprise me make me feel like: "Okay, could have skipped it or not wouln'd hate myself either way."

As a Movie Pass holder, I see a LOT of movies! (Though I haven't seen as many in recent weeks.) Rather than go into lengthy details, I'll just put them in categories...

5 Star Movies

-Avengers: Infinity War (I read Robb's dissenting review, and while he brought up a lot of valid points, I still feel this was an excellent film, and will be best judged once the next Avengers movie comes out to really complete the story.)

-A Quiet Place (One of the best pure suspense thrillers I've seen at least in a long time! The sold out theater the first of two times I saw it literally got so quiet you could hear the rustle of a bag of popcorn, many times during the film. Superb!)

-Deadpool 2 (As much as I enjoyed the first Deadpool, I liked this one even more! I definitely hope they make more, because I'll take as much of this kind of movie as I can get!)

4 Star Movies

-Solo: A Star Wars Story (I was worried going in, but honestly, I quite enjoyed this film! Interesting fleshing out of the beloved character, and plenty of new tidbits added to the cannon that will likely be plumbed in future films!)

-Life of the Party (It's not going to win any Oscars, but I was entertained throughout, and in the end, that's a good movie in my book!)

-Ocean's Eight (Saw this at a Premiere last night, and quite enjoyed it! I love a good heist flick, and it was a nice twist on the genre, and a worthy addition to the first three "Ocean's" movies!)

3 Star Movies

-Overboard (I'd really rate this as a 3 and a half star movie, as it was definitely better than average, though not quite as enjoyable as the movies listed above. Still, I was pleasantly surprised with this one!)

-I Feel Pretty (Not the best Amy Schumer movie I've seen, but it was entertaining, for the most part, and with Movie Pass, worth a watch in the theater.)

-Bad Samaritan (A weak 3 star, but a three star nonetheless. It had its moments, where I was drawn into its plot, and I always enjoy watching David Tennant as an actor. Definitely a "watch on video" movie without Movie Pass though...)

-Breaking In (Probably closer to a 2 and a half star movie, it also had its moments. However, I couldn't suspend disbelief for the sheer amount of absurd, implausible, and face palming moments.

2 Star Movies

-Traffik (An interesting (and timely) premise, frontlined by an actress I like, had the framework for a good film. However, in the end, it missed the mark in my opinion, and spiraled into a B movie before all was said and done...)

BTW, it's old news at this point, but I would rate The Greatest Showman as a 6 Star Movie, if it's a 5 Star rating scale! I loved that film, and it's buoyant positivity, and important message were extremely needed in my life as I went through a few dark months. I actually saw it 12 times in the movie theater, thanks to Movie Pass, and loved it every single time! Regardless of whether it succeeds as a true to life portrayal of PT Barnum (the biggest complaint from many about it), it hits a home run as a film, and a musical, and immediately became one of my favorite films of all time! My kids all loved it, including my 9 year old who can't sit through a cartoon movie in the theater, and my 4 year old, who asked to see again when it was over! Now THAT'S an accomplishment!

Just saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Really enjoyed it. It really went the direction I expected the francise to go to after Jurassic Word (1). I like what they did with this sequel movies but I hope they can now keep it in their pants and make a trilogie so 1 more movie and the put it back in the box for atleast 10 years. Like I said I enjoy these new movie's, but I don't want them to go on the Star Wars path and make an entire universe out of it.

I just had one complaint Ian Malcom's return felt kind of just there for the sake of it. I just hoped there was more of him. Other then that no real complaints.

BTW, it's old news at this point, but I would rate The Greatest Showman as a 6 Star Movie, if it's a 5 Star rating scale! I loved that film, and it's buoyant positivity, and important message were extremely needed in my life as I went through a few dark months. I actually saw it 12 times in the movie theater, thanks to Movie Pass, and loved it every single time! Regardless of whether it succeeds as a true to life portrayal of PT Barnum (the biggest complaint from many about it), it hits a home run as a film, and a musical, and immediately became one of my favorite films of all time! My kids all loved it, including my 9 year old who can't sit through a cartoon movie in the theater, and my 4 year old, who asked to see again when it was over! Now THAT'S an accomplishment!

My dark months (physical and mental) happened just before I saw the movie Chicago,

starting in Jan.2003. Through to April of that year. I ended up seeing that film over 20 times,

each time in a cinema around town! I still have all the ticket stubs to prove it too, and as a

wierd kind of souvenir of it's run, heh. I also saw it a few times beyond the city, in the burbs, too.

Couldn't get enough of it onscreen. As the way it was meant to be seen.

And it's still really my all-time-fave-film ever. AND we loved The Greatest Showman too, by the way!

We got A Wrinkle in Time from Redbox this past weekend, and really enjoyed it! Though the plot was a bit pared down from the books, nonessential characters removed, etc., the cinematography was quite imaginative. I love the way they pulled off the fourth-dimensional travel. It all had a 2001: Space Odyssey vibe that I really enjoyed.

Incredibles 2 Review

Incredibles-2-poster.thumb.jpg.65db4fa4f6c9f1e8e66729f16e58ad19.jpg

Just got back from a preview screening of Incredibles 2! Got to say it's fantastically fun and a worthy squeal to the original movie that's fits in very well with today's huge superhero movie landscape!

It starts off right where the first Incredibles movie ended getting us right back into the action. Right off the bat, the paceing of this movie is excellent. At no point did I find myself getting bored or checking my watch. This movie manages to balance two different plotlines through most of the film, while making both really fun and engaging. Also, didn't really think you'd "need" to see the first one to understand what's going on in this one. The characters are a lot of fun in this movie, each one sorta has their own issues and storylines that are all entertaining. The cast is great, as a Breaking Bad fan I really appreciated that Bob Odenkirk and Johnathan Banks both had roles. Bob Odenkirk was really a great fit for his character in this movie.

The plotline has Helen/Elastigirl working with a campaign to bring back supers while Bob/Mr.Incredible takes care of the family. This really is a fun superhero movie that lives up to some of the best superhero movies of past years. My only real critique is the villain twist/plotline is pretty predictable, I called it from the trailers. But it didn't really take away from the movie. The tone plays very much more like an animated superhero film rather than a "kids movie." There are actually a few parts in here that seemed like they could've been pulled from any MCU movie. Now having said that this is still a great family film that's genuinely funny while delivering some powerful messages that's a heartfelt good time in the end.

Also have to say the animation on this and the shortfilm are beautiful! It's definitely one of the best looking animated movies I've seen in awhile. There are so many smalls details that just look amazing. Pixar is most definitely still leading the animation field. The call backs to the golden age of superheroes are very prevalent in the look of this movie. Just like the original movie, it looks like a family friendly version of Watchmen. There's actually a character who looks just like Nightowl.

Really have nothing but positive things to say about this film. It's absolutely everything you'd want from an Incredibles sequel! Personally I may have enjoyed it more than the original. Think I used the word "fun" a lot in this review and that's the perfect word to describe it!

10/10

I saw Ocean's 8 and Hereditary this weekend.

Hereditary was excellent, and I believe seeing it in the theater made the experience because there were some parts that I wasn't sure if I should be laughing and I'm glad I had a whole room full of people that were also laughing. A slow burn horror, definitely not a perfect movie but it kept you guessing and didn't rely on jump scares to deliver to creepy feelings. The camera work and cinematography was also a highlight! Toni Collette is a star in this.

Ocean's 8 was just a fun movie all around. Thought the cast was excellent and the fact that most of the movie takes place at the Met was cool.

If you like horror, you've got to see Hereditary!!! Go now!

Saw the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom premiere last night with my GF, kiddos, and one other "nerd" friend (including myself in that category! lol), and I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up! We were completing a day of marathoning all the Jurassic Park movies, starting at 10:30 in the morning, and wrapping up with the new film, and it was a fun experience! Full confession: I am a HUGE JP franchise fan, and even enjoy the much maligned JP 3, feeling like it's gotten to the point where it's so hated on, it's almost underrated now! I will say I found it worse today than I had thought previously, but still worth an occasional watch, especially for scenes like the one in the Aviary alone.

Back to JW:FK though... I felt like it was the "scariest" JP movie since the original, at least in terms of atmosphere, and the mood of dread that it builds in a number of scenes, and I attribute that to Director AJ Bayona's horror background. Knowing that they have already planned the JW films to be a Trilogy, this installment definitely fits the mold of the darker, story arc propelling middle movie, and without giving away any spoilers, it's definitely left WIDE open for a 3rd film. My GF isn't a huge JP fanboy like me, and only saw the original JW yesterday, and only then in bits and pieces, as she kept herself busy doing other things. However, after seeing JW:FK last night, she couldn't stop saying how much she wished the next film in the series could be seen RIGHT AWAY, and loved the movie, and plans to watch JW in its entirety ASAP. So I think that's a strong testament to the strength of the film!

My kids pointed out how there weren't any dull or low points in the entire film, and I'd agree with them, for the most part. It's engaging, and propels you forward all the way through, and definitely leaves you wanting more, even at a runtime of over 2 hours (contrasted with JP3, which at only an hour and a half, seems a little stretched). I'm debating whether I like this movie or the first JW movie more, and I would have that a strong 9-9.5 stars, so this would fall in that same range for me.

Is it a perfect film, or even the second coming of the original Jurassic Park? No, I wouldn't go that far. There were some acting, and scripting issues, that I noticed. However, I'm able to overlook little things like that if the overall effect and package of the film is effective for what it's intended (something most "professional" movie critics are lousy at, which I find renders their opinions inert), and that means this film is a great one in my opinion! If you're a big fan of the series, and enjoyed JW, I think you're going to really enjoy this one as well! My "nerd" friend had the lone dissenting view that the movie wasn't all that great, but honestly his reasons for that weren't very strong, and I think they come more from the place of "series fatigue" than anything. In my opinion, JW:FK is enough different from what has come before it, in terms of locations, and action scenes, that I don't get any fatigue from it, and brings plenty of new things to the table. I'm definitely stoked about the movie, the franchise, and its future, and can't wait to see what comes next!

Seems like everyone saw Jurassic Park last night. This is the only JP movie I didn't like. Boring, stale, even a bourbon and coke couldn't get me into it.

Best part of the movie is the ending I guess since it sets the studio up to produce something creative and original? I don't know.

^I 110% disagree with your assertion it was boring and stale, and most of those I saw it with do as well! I mean, boring?

However, I do agree with you about the awesome possibilities the ending set up! Can't wait for the next one!

I thought the intensity was there, as I managed to stay awake during our employee midnight double feature the other night. I did feel like the threat was weakened near the end by having the 3 protagonists all being chased together. But before that, they kept the suspense fairly high for most of the film.

The Snowman

A Nearly 2 hour movie that can be summed up as "Dumb cop and dumb partner try to find a killer" that includes a badly dubbed Val Kilmer, A Subplot with the Winter Games hosting Soccer, the song Popcorn, and Chloe Sevigny playing twins for 3 minutes. Also in an almost 2 hour movie barely mentions characters names. Blair Witch 2 made more sense.

This movie has the most useless celebrity appearances I've seen since Atlas Shrugged 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Ant Man and The Wasp Review

antmanandwasp.thumb.jpg.6e3447bffb9db36eb8b3ed5afcc12bd0.jpg

Got a chance to see Ant Man and the Wasp last night. Really enjoyed the movie, like the first one it's a very fun and comedic addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The action is a lot of fun although a bit more "low-key" than other MCU movies. The scenes in the "quantum realm" are stunning and looked amazing in IMAX 3D. This being Ant Man AND the Wasp there's a lot of double teaming action between the two that works great. The comedy works very well, Michael Pena reprises his role as Luis and he's hysterical. Anytime he tells one of his "stories" it always ends in a creative and hilarious sequence. If you've seen the first movie you'll know what I'm talking about.

Ant-man-and-the-Wasp-Scott-Lang-and-Hope.thumb.jpg.f04b75c773d8639b8c5d943b2433e9ed.jpg

However, like a lot of Marvel films, the villain's pretty weak. In fact there's two villain plots that sort of conflict with each other which makes both a bit uninteresting. I sorta wish they spent bit more time on the Ghost character, I think her story may have been more intriguing had it been developed a little more. The other antagonist is your typical evil corporate CEO type that's sorta just...there.

who-is-ghost-in-ant-man-and-the-wasp.thumb.jpeg.7d521b377f5a699cc7301d09e33bad31.jpeg

The movie does have a lot of heart, the common theme being about rising everything for family. Scott's daughter Cassie is adorable and completely steals the show whenever she's on screen. In the end, although it's a movie less epic in scale compared to other MCU movies, I'd say Ant Man and the Wasp is still a fun feel good movie that's worth checking out!

thumbnail_27781.jpg.2cba1897d95a1f5cad89e69a06f5f077.jpg

By the way, absolutely stick around for the end credit scene on this one!

Edited by robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the remake of IT on Netflix, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I have watched the original miniseries, but that was atleast 15 years ago so I only remember bits and pieces of it. I didn't find this new version very scary, but I still think it was very well made and I had a great time watching it.

The last new movie I watched was Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom about a month ago, and boy I did not enjoy this movie. I'm a huge JP fan, but for me it was a very dissappointing experience, despite going in with low expectations. When watching a JP movie I can always accept a certain 'suspension of disbelief', but this movie had me physically facepalming at times...

^Disappointing is the best word to describe Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I'm a fan of J.A. Bayona's prior work and the film had some good direction and some genuine moments of tension, and at times was a good, mindless popcorn flick. But the script needed another rewrite or 12. And they're bringing Trevorrow back to write and direct the next one? I mean, I'm still going to eventually see it because I am a fan of this franchise, but the script here left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I will definitely watch the next movie when it comes out, as I am a big fan of the franchise. Just have to make sure not to watch the trailers, as they give away so much of the movies these days. I never watched the final trailer for Fallen Kingdom, but just for fun I just watched it now and it basically shows you 90% of the movie in two and a half minute.

I agree that the movie was quite well directed, but as you say the problem lies with the script. I felt that I was watching a movie that contained dinosaurs rather than watching a JP movie. Yes, Jurassic World had a lot of dumb moments in it, but it was still fun and it managed to capture some of the JP spirit, and that I felt was completely lacking in JW:FK.

And speaking of the next movie, I'm just wondering what they're going to do with it. I just feel that what Fallen Kingdom ended with isn't that much of a threat. Yes, of course it will cause a bit of chaos and destruction, but trying to make it sound like a major threat to humanity?? I just don't see it, so they have to come up with something clever here...