Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Postby DILinator » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 am

As a Movie Pass holder, I see a LOT of movies! (Though I haven't seen as many in recent weeks.) Rather than go into lengthy details, I'll just put them in categories...

5 Star Movies

-Avengers: Infinity War (I read Robb's dissenting review, and while he brought up a lot of valid points, I still feel this was an excellent film, and will be best judged once the next Avengers movie comes out to really complete the story.)

-A Quiet Place (One of the best pure suspense thrillers I've seen at least in a long time! The sold out theater the first of two times I saw it literally got so quiet you could hear the rustle of a bag of popcorn, many times during the film. Superb!)

-Deadpool 2 (As much as I enjoyed the first Deadpool, I liked this one even more! I definitely hope they make more, because I'll take as much of this kind of movie as I can get!)

4 Star Movies

-Solo: A Star Wars Story (I was worried going in, but honestly, I quite enjoyed this film! Interesting fleshing out of the beloved character, and plenty of new tidbits added to the cannon that will likely be plumbed in future films!)

-Life of the Party (It's not going to win any Oscars, but I was entertained throughout, and in the end, that's a good movie in my book!)

-Ocean's Eight (Saw this at a Premiere last night, and quite enjoyed it! I love a good heist flick, and it was a nice twist on the genre, and a worthy addition to the first three "Ocean's" movies!)

3 Star Movies

-Overboard (I'd really rate this as a 3 and a half star movie, as it was definitely better than average, though not quite as enjoyable as the movies listed above. Still, I was pleasantly surprised with this one!)

-I Feel Pretty (Not the best Amy Schumer movie I've seen, but it was entertaining, for the most part, and with Movie Pass, worth a watch in the theater.)

-Bad Samaritan (A weak 3 star, but a three star nonetheless. It had its moments, where I was drawn into its plot, and I always enjoy watching David Tennant as an actor. Definitely a "watch on video" movie without Movie Pass though...)

-Breaking In (Probably closer to a 2 and a half star movie, it also had its moments. However, I couldn't suspend disbelief for the sheer amount of absurd, implausible, and face palming moments.

2 Star Movies

-Traffik (An interesting (and timely) premise, frontlined by an actress I like, had the framework for a good film. However, in the end, it missed the mark in my opinion, and spiraled into a B movie before all was said and done...)

BTW, it's old news at this point, but I would rate The Greatest Showman as a 6 Star Movie, if it's a 5 Star rating scale! I loved that film, and it's buoyant positivity, and important message were extremely needed in my life as I went through a few dark months. I actually saw it 12 times in the movie theater, thanks to Movie Pass, and loved it every single time! Regardless of whether it succeeds as a true to life portrayal of PT Barnum (the biggest complaint from many about it), it hits a home run as a film, and a musical, and immediately became one of my favorite films of all time! My kids all loved it, including my 9 year old who can't sit through a cartoon movie in the theater, and my 4 year old, who asked to see again when it was over! Now THAT'S an accomplishment!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Just saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Really enjoyed it. It really went the direction I expected the francise to go to after Jurassic Word (1). I like what they did with this sequel movies but I hope they can now keep it in their pants and make a trilogie so 1 more movie and the put it back in the box for atleast 10 years. Like I said I enjoy these new movie's, but I don't want them to go on the Star Wars path and make an entire universe out of it.

I just had one complaint Ian Malcom's return felt kind of just there for the sake of it. I just hoped there was more of him. Other then that no real complaints.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Alton Towers, Toverland, Thrope Park, Flamingo land, Skyline park.
2017 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Wicker Man (Alton Towers).

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:01 pm

DILinator wrote:BTW, it's old news at this point, but I would rate The Greatest Showman as a 6 Star Movie, if it's a 5 Star rating scale! I loved that film, and it's buoyant positivity, and important message were extremely needed in my life as I went through a few dark months. I actually saw it 12 times in the movie theater, thanks to Movie Pass, and loved it every single time! Regardless of whether it succeeds as a true to life portrayal of PT Barnum (the biggest complaint from many about it), it hits a home run as a film, and a musical, and immediately became one of my favorite films of all time! My kids all loved it, including my 9 year old who can't sit through a cartoon movie in the theater, and my 4 year old, who asked to see again when it was over! Now THAT'S an accomplishment!

My dark months (physical and mental) happened just before I saw the movie Chicago,
starting in Jan.2003. Through to April of that year. I ended up seeing that film over 20 times,
each time in a cinema around town! I still have all the ticket stubs to prove it too, and as a
wierd kind of souvenir of it's run, heh. I also saw it a few times beyond the city, in the burbs, too.
Couldn't get enough of it onscreen. As the way it was meant to be seen.

And it's still really my all-time-fave-film ever. AND we loved The Greatest Showman too, by the way!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby DILinator » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 am

^Great to hear! I enjoyed Chicago as well! Musicals are fantastic "spirit lifters", oftentimes, and movies in general can be such a healing balm in tough times! =)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:26 pm

We got A Wrinkle in Time from Redbox this past weekend, and really enjoyed it! Though the plot was a bit pared down from the books, nonessential characters removed, etc., the cinematography was quite imaginative. I love the way they pulled off the fourth-dimensional travel. It all had a 2001: Space Odyssey vibe that I really enjoyed.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DallasAlvey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Incredibles 2 Review

Incredibles-2-poster.jpg

Just got back from a preview screening of Incredibles 2! Got to say it's fantastically fun and a worthy squeal to the original movie that's fits in very well with today's huge superhero movie landscape!

It starts off right where the first Incredibles movie ended getting us right back into the action. Right off the bat, the paceing of this movie is excellent. At no point did I find myself getting bored or checking my watch. This movie manages to balance two different plotlines through most of the film, while making both really fun and engaging. Also, didn't really think you'd "need" to see the first one to understand what's going on in this one. The characters are a lot of fun in this movie, each one sorta has their own issues and storylines that are all entertaining. The cast is great, as a Breaking Bad fan I really appreciated that Bob Odenkirk and Johnathan Banks both had roles. Bob Odenkirk was really a great fit for his character in this movie.

The plotline has Helen/Elastigirl working with a campaign to bring back supers while Bob/Mr.Incredible takes care of the family. This really is a fun superhero movie that lives up to some of the best superhero movies of past years. My only real critique is the villain twist/plotline is pretty predictable, I called it from the trailers. But it didn't really take away from the movie. The tone plays very much more like an animated superhero film rather than a "kids movie." There are actually a few parts in here that seemed like they could've been pulled from any MCU movie. Now having said that this is still a great family film that's genuinely funny while delivering some powerful messages that's a heartfelt good time in the end.

Also have to say the animation on this and the shortfilm are beautiful! It's definitely one of the best looking animated movies I've seen in awhile. There are so many smalls details that just look amazing. Pixar is most definitely still leading the animation field. The call backs to the golden age of superheroes are very prevalent in the look of this movie. Just like the original movie, it looks like a family friendly version of Watchmen. There's actually a character who looks just like Nightowl.

Really have nothing but positive things to say about this film. It's absolutely everything you'd want from an Incredibles sequel! Personally I may have enjoyed it more than the original. Think I used the word "fun" a lot in this review and that's the perfect word to describe it!

10/10

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 am

I saw Ocean's 8 and Hereditary this weekend.

Hereditary was excellent, and I believe seeing it in the theater made the experience because there were some parts that I wasn't sure if I should be laughing and I'm glad I had a whole room full of people that were also laughing. A slow burn horror, definitely not a perfect movie but it kept you guessing and didn't rely on jump scares to deliver to creepy feelings. The camera work and cinematography was also a highlight! Toni Collette is a star in this.

Ocean's 8 was just a fun movie all around. Thought the cast was excellent and the fact that most of the movie takes place at the Met was cool.

If you like horror, you've got to see Hereditary!!! Go now!
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby DILinator » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 am

Saw the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom premiere last night with my GF, kiddos, and one other "nerd" friend (including myself in that category! lol), and I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up! We were completing a day of marathoning all the Jurassic Park movies, starting at 10:30 in the morning, and wrapping up with the new film, and it was a fun experience! Full confession: I am a HUGE JP franchise fan, and even enjoy the much maligned JP 3, feeling like it's gotten to the point where it's so hated on, it's almost underrated now! :lol: I will say I found it worse today than I had thought previously, but still worth an occasional watch, especially for scenes like the one in the Aviary alone.

Back to JW:FK though... I felt like it was the "scariest" JP movie since the original, at least in terms of atmosphere, and the mood of dread that it builds in a number of scenes, and I attribute that to Director AJ Bayona's horror background. Knowing that they have already planned the JW films to be a Trilogy, this installment definitely fits the mold of the darker, story arc propelling middle movie, and without giving away any spoilers, it's definitely left WIDE open for a 3rd film. My GF isn't a huge JP fanboy like me, and only saw the original JW yesterday, and only then in bits and pieces, as she kept herself busy doing other things. However, after seeing JW:FK last night, she couldn't stop saying how much she wished the next film in the series could be seen RIGHT AWAY, and loved the movie, and plans to watch JW in its entirety ASAP. So I think that's a strong testament to the strength of the film!

My kids pointed out how there weren't any dull or low points in the entire film, and I'd agree with them, for the most part. It's engaging, and propels you forward all the way through, and definitely leaves you wanting more, even at a runtime of over 2 hours (contrasted with JP3, which at only an hour and a half, seems a little stretched). I'm debating whether I like this movie or the first JW movie more, and I would have that a strong 9-9.5 stars, so this would fall in that same range for me.

Is it a perfect film, or even the second coming of the original Jurassic Park? No, I wouldn't go that far. There were some acting, and scripting issues, that I noticed. However, I'm able to overlook little things like that if the overall effect and package of the film is effective for what it's intended (something most "professional" movie critics are lousy at, which I find renders their opinions inert), and that means this film is a great one in my opinion! If you're a big fan of the series, and enjoyed JW, I think you're going to really enjoy this one as well! My "nerd" friend had the lone dissenting view that the movie wasn't all that great, but honestly his reasons for that weren't very strong, and I think they come more from the place of "series fatigue" than anything. In my opinion, JW:FK is enough different from what has come before it, in terms of locations, and action scenes, that I don't get any fatigue from it, and brings plenty of new things to the table. I'm definitely stoked about the movie, the franchise, and its future, and can't wait to see what comes next! =)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 am

Seems like everyone saw Jurassic Park last night. This is the only JP movie I didn't like. Boring, stale, even a bourbon and coke couldn't get me into it.

Best part of the movie is the ending I guess since it sets the studio up to produce something creative and original? I don't know.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby DILinator » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

^I 110% disagree with your assertion it was boring and stale, and most of those I saw it with do as well! I mean, boring? :lol:

However, I do agree with you about the awesome possibilities the ending set up! Can't wait for the next one!

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random