TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

I got to say I like that the Sabres and Rangers are playing in 2018 winter classic from Citi Field. It was time for NYR to host the classic. However because of rules surrounding the Rangers playing all home games at MSG Buffalo will be the home team.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a amazing Stanley Cup Final. To make things better no matter what history will be made. Either Pittsburgh will be the first team to repeat since Detroit in 97/98 or Nashville will win its first ever cup. I for one think the series favors Pit. They got the experience and we saw last year that experience matters. That being said I want Nashville to win in 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little bummed the Pens won but at least we got our first cup repeat in 20+ years. There was one questionable call that cost the Preds the game. A goal that was waved off warly in the 2nd because the refs thought the Pens goalie had the puck so he blew his whistle. But I thought the whistle was blown too quick and the goal should of counted. Oh you Red Wings fans must be really happy. You lost not one but two legacies this season. The 25 straight postseason appearences and the stat as the last team to repeat.

That's a tough one. Ref did what he was trained to do (blow whistle when lost sight of puck), but he also pulled the trigger too quick. Not a true "blown call", but a crappy snap decision by the ref.

I feel for the Preds...as a Sabres fan who still feels that they got robbed in the '99 Stanley Cup for what should have been a "no goal". Funny how the rule book changed the very next season.

Still pissed about that one....and yes, Brett Hull is still a d#ck.

• 11 months later...
:)

I still can't believe an expansion team was this good in their first year.

I can. NHL changed the rules since last expansion and teams could only protect 8 players. Gave a HUGE advantage to the Knights to build the team they wanted because teams either had to leave high priced veterans out there (like Marc Andre-Fleury) and/or make side deals with them to ensure they didn't draft players teams had to leave unprotected. They were also free from the salary cap constraints that hit previous dynasties who had to pay to keep their stars on the team.

From that, they were able to build a team of 4 solid lines that can just keep coming at you with lots of speed.

I'm torn who to root for here. On one hand, I like the upstart-team-going-all-the-way story, but I feel like the fans need to earn it a bit more first, especially after learning how the relaxed rules allow for a new team to essentially hit the ground running. Caps fans, though I'm certainly not fond of them, have suffered plenty and deserve to have their loyalty rewarded, especially after coming close year after year.