TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Good work on managing to still lose while struggling a bit. I am worried about the next month I have coming up with my eating habits. Lots of music festivals and concerts and two short vacations.

Weekly weigh in. i have hit 250. Down 1 pound from last week and now at 35 total lost in 11 weeks. I took two weeks off from exercise due to a foot injury and today it starts back up.

Bert I haven't seen you check in for a while, I hope everything is still on track for you same for you boldy.

thanks for asking. . . was actually coming in to check in.

April has been very trying. . lots of work stress, and I'm a stress eater. And also so dang busy, that in the last 2 weeks haven't even been managing to get any exercise in.

i fear I remained off the rails, despite my intention to get back on track and then it hit the last 10 days of April and I had back to back to back concerts (which of course all involved meeting up with friends and eating out first), and my Birthday, best Friend's Birthday, and his wife's Bday back to back too (so ate out for all).

but yesterday was the "final" group Bday celebration. . .

so yeah... I had basically given up in mid-April, and decided i'll get back on plans May 1.

all of that are just excuses tho.. . I have 3 months before my big trip, so that's my goal, noted on calendar, and I am determined to get back on my exercise program starting today. (since almost 2 weeks without, will have to start small, and work my way back to the 4 miles per day I had been doing).

haven't gotten on scale yet, but won't surprise me if I'm back to where I was in Jan. . I hope not, but probably will be.

it's all a mental thing, and I SHOULD have been making use of this support thread to help, instead of just being depressed I had gained back 8 lbs back on 4/15, and giving up for the rest of the month. Sheesh, it's why I started it.. . . I know it's tough.

but I failed, and time to get back on the horse.

will weigh myself for the 1st time tomorrow, so i have the idea of what I'm starting May with.

bert

Just checking in. After my big opening weekend progress post I kinda hit a wall. So gotta change up to attack plan.

First and most important - I redownloaded the myfitnesspal app (I had deleted it a month ago since my phone was wonky and I needed to purge some apps). So I've been entering everything in there, and generally that sucks @ first because you suddenly realize how many calories are in everything but I know I'll get in the swing of it.

We also got our scale working again so I weighed myself over the weekend and wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Gonna start weekly weigh-ins here to motivate me. So right now I'm at 251 (keep in mind I'm 6'2). My highest weight has been 280, and ideally I'd like to get back down to 200 (my lowest adult weight that I got down to in 2012).

Also, we went to the grocery store over the weekend for the first time in a while and spent a billion dollars in the produce section alone. So all weekend it was fruits, veggies and nuts. ALso did a bunch of stuff around the house and got out for a brisk two mile walk so I worked up a sweat a bit, but I also had a 6 pack of beers throughout the weekend so I'd say I evened out lol. The missus made some pasta salad Saturday so I had some of that this weekend too but I mixed it with regular salad so I didn't eat so much pasta. I spent last night prepping for the week - made a bunch of hard-boiled eggs to snack on, cut up all the veggies and had salads packed & ready to go.

This morning we had a closing right away and in came a huge tray of fresh hot delicious donuts from the best donut shop around, and as incredibly tempting as they were, I said no! And had a little bit of jerky and then a cup of tea instead. Now its off to grab my packed lunch and tear into some plants.

I'm also going to be ramping up the walking with some running starting tonight. Ugh.

Keep it up guys.

This morning we had a closing right away and in came a huge tray of fresh hot delicious donuts from the best donut shop around, and as incredibly tempting as they were, I said no! And had a little bit of jerky and then a cup of tea instead. Now its off to grab my packed lunch and tear into some plants.

Awesome job resisting! Workplaces can be difficult. Friday was a potluck food day, so people brought in all sorts of stuff, including chicken wings, Italian food (including garlic knots - yum), sausage and peppers, cookies, etc. I somehow managed to limit my consumption to one chicken wing, one garlic knot, and some fruit. I'd say that's a win in my book, compared to how I would've eaten in the past.

You ain't kidding. I work in a small little mom&pop real estate office in deep South Philly that is owned and run by mostly Italians who sustain themselves almost completely on pasta. It's mind boggling. Also, being in RE, all vendors we do business with are constantly sending food trays over - hoagie trays, pretzel trays (with mustard AND cheese of course), and if there are larger closings the agents will usually buy everyone lunch. Around Xmas its every day - cookie trays, Friday was pizza day, and I went in on some, but I didn't stuff myself til I was full (which is very easy for me). Its always a challenge working here. That's why its important for me to pack my own stuff so I have an excuse to say no, as hard as that can be. The donuts today were hard but I had literally just eaten some fruit and a granola bar for breakfast, if I hadn't then I probably would have blew my calorie allowance on one of them. Also, I used to work with the woman who brought them and she's a big asshole so that certainly made it easier. lmao

I can avoid sweets no issue like watching my son and dad eat blue ice cream at kings island yesterday. My struggle comes when there are chips involved. Usually if I start craving bad enough that I have thought about it for ma week I will have one small bag.

May1 - mid june will be interesting for me. I was supposed to attend a concert tomorrow but it got cancelled heres what the rest of the time looks like for me

May 10th- Parkway Drive in Louisville

May 11th - Ghost in Cincinnati

May 18-20 - Rock on the Range

May 21 - my birthday

May 25-29 Charleston South Carolina to visit my brothers family

June 6th - Slayer in cincinnati

June-8-10 - Cedar Point

This will be the real test for me.

I can avoid sweets no issue like watching my son and dad eat blue ice cream at kings island yesterday. My struggle comes when there are chips involved. Usually if I start craving bad enough that I have thought about it for ma week I will have one small bag.

May1 - mid june will be interesting for me. I was supposed to attend a concert tomorrow but it got cancelled heres what the rest of the time looks like for me

May 10th- Parkway Drive in Louisville

May 11th - Ghost in Cincinnati

May 18-20 - Rock on the Range

May 21 - my birthday

May 25-29 Charleston South Carolina to visit my brothers family

June 6th - Slayer in cincinnati

June-8-10 - Cedar Point

This will be the real test for me.

your May was my April!

Weekly check in.

Still losing. dropped another 5 pounds. I am eating plenty just being very strict on what I take in and it is paying off. I was unable to run this week because I have been sick so its been all diet still. I am down 40 pounds in 12 weeks. I am now at 245. My goal was to be at 246 by the time Cedar Point trip time was here for me and I hit that a month ahead of time. OO and for the first time in I don't know how long I fit in a size 36 pant. I was not expecting that when I went to try on cloths.

40 pounds in 12 weeks is incredible, Ape! The fitting into smaller sizes is always extra satisfying. Yesterday I went and bought a bunch of new shirts for work since I hadn't in a while and everything I had felt extra huge on me. Feeling good in shirt that fits this morning.

Weekly weigh in time. 248 today, down three more pounds from a week ago. Still eating great, cheated with half a cheesesteak and some crab bites one night last week but otherwise haven't fell off the wagon. Not running on the regular yet but I'll get there, still (power)walking two miles 5-6 times a week. I know that's not doing much for me, possibly offsetting that I sit most of the day, but its amazing what just changing your diet can/will do.

It's okay, Bert, I struggled, too. We ended up eating pretty poorly on Saturday and I've been paying for it. I gained a pound as a result. I was better on Sunday, but I really need to keep at it to see the results I want in the long run. If I really get my act together, weight would fall off, but I need to get past this mental block first.

If I really get my act together, weight would fall off, but I need to get past this mental block first.

Dude. Just get focused. A calorie counting app goes a long way in constantly reminding you how many nonsense calories you are taking in. Find a bunch of low calorie high protein recipes - the internet is loaded with them. Go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of healthy shit. Avoid the middle aisles (processed crap). Fresh food - produce, fruits, meats, dairy, nuts - all OK. Its the fast food and junk you don't want. Meal prep, meal prep, meal prep. It should take you an hour tops on the weekend and you have your meals ready for the week. Then when you are tempted you say "no because they I'd be wasting my money and my time I already spent on this food I already have".

It's hard, I want junk food a lot, and you can cheat here and there, or else you'll fall all the way off. You just gotta focus and DO IT.

^ Trust me man, I know. I've been there and done that with all of that, including the meal prep and the "I've already paid for this, I'd be wasting money" argument. It worked for about two weeks, then I was throwing out uneaten lunches. The only thing that worked long term has been the Weight Watchers meetings, which is what I went back to, The biggest issue I have is that Rikki and I tempt each other too much. If one of us makes a bad suggestion, the other will say sure (though I've managed to say no a lot more frequently recently). That's what happened on Saturday with a way-too-much-food-for-two-people order from the pizza place.

Since then, though, I've been much more on track. Dinner yesterday was salmon with roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts, today was a grilled chicken sandwich (lettuce and tomato only) and side salad with light dressing for lunch and a light Asian stir-fry for dinner, followed by a five-mile walk. I'm beat, but proud that I've been on track since then. I've got to stick with the "one meal at a time, one day at a time" mentality that works for other addictions.

Sorry if I came cross as lecturing, that wasn't my intention. No one in this thread needs to be lectured about this sh*t, I absolutely know it does nothing helpful.

I just know that my weight has bounced around for years, but I've already proven to myself more than once that if I put my mind to it and just focus, the weight melts off me. My problem is not sticking with it. It has to be a lifestyle change, not just a diet. And as this weight continues to drop off, I need to remember that. Its really hard because I love beer and ice cream so much.

But whatever works for you, do it. We're here to encourage each other and I just wanted to make sure my post wasn't taken any other way.

today is a new day.

and starting again: I WILL eat healthier today. I WILL go for a walk today.

I will weigh myself on Sat, and not get depressed that I've likely regained all I've lost since starting this thread in Jan. That's just a black hole and makes me want to eat. So instead, I'm going to focus on hitting my goal by my trip in July (and even if I gained back, that's still only ~25 lbs in 3 months. . so TOTALLY possible).

Chiming in here to help make work outs fun and throw in some advice!

I was not a runner until I moved to Chicago and used jogging to explore different neighborhoods. No matter your size/shape/age, it just takes time to be able to run 2-3 miles without stopping.

Not an outside guy?

Just hop on the treadmill and pull up youtube to watch a concert while you run/walk. Seriously, that's the only way I get on a treadmill. There are unless amounts of concerts on youtube with great quality unless you're looking for a really small dj/band.

BCAA's/branch chain amino acids - really help me recover/hydrate quicker which results into feeling less sore. Bonus? This sh*t tastes great now. I use this Rainbow Ice mix and it forreal tastes like a bomb pop

ok. . bit the bullet and got on scale.

not good, but at least not over 200 again.

so yeah, have my target locked back in, and other than a couple of slips (Sonic chili dog/tots last night), been eating better, and started walking every day again.

so yep, by the time of my July trip, hope to be back down to ~185 or so.. . 15 lbs in 2 1/2 moths is very possible!

Still cruising along, Lost another pound this week. Had two concerts on back to back nights and behaved myself. The first night had a cheat meal I had planned for but I didn't over eat. this week I have Rock On The Range. We will see if I come back to a loss or not but I will not check in until Tuesday.

Monday weight in. 248. Same as last week. No loss, but at least no gain. I needed a motivator, so looking at this as a positive. Gotta push harder now.

giphy.gif

Not an outside guy?

Just hop on the treadmill and pull up youtube to watch a concert while you run/walk. Seriously, that's the only way I get on a treadmill. There are unless amounts of concerts on youtube with great quality unless you're looking for a really small dj/band.

BCAA's/branch chain amino acids - really help me recover/hydrate quicker which results into feeling less sore. Bonus? This sh*t tastes great now. I use this Rainbow Ice mix and it forreal tastes like a bomb pop

I love watching tv shows on the ipad/phone on a treadmill. You can usually bang out an entire season of something in like 6-10 days if you do 1-3 episodes (depending on length of the show) during a workout. I think I watched most of Breaking Bad on a treadmill in like 2-3 weeks, it was my motivation to work out haha.

For the most part, was able to stick to healthier eating this past week (a few slips tho - Chinese Buffet on Thurs for lunch, Mexican food out on Friday night). and today did Sushi, tho stayed away from fried things.

but I *have* been able to keep to my every day walking routine, and when I weighted myself this morning?

i actually did drop 4 1/2 lbs from last week.

so I'm at 194.5 lbs.

still not great, but at least not 199 lbs any more, and trending in the right direction! so I've got incentive to stick to it, and am really only ~10lbs away from my "goal" weight of 185 or so.

yay me?

I ate super good all week and then completely derailed down in Wildwood over the weekend. Flights of beer, bloody marys, crab cakes, BBQ, mac & cheese, a cheesesteak, pizza, a giant Sunday morning breakfast with you-name-it on my plate, and more drinks.

All that? I lost two pounds.

I've been eating this for about 6 months now at work and thought I should share the goods:

https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/better-oats/oatfit-cinnamon-roll/

It's super easy to make in a cup and pair with some peanuts/almonds for the best sweet/salty snack. It'll bring back memories to Dollywood/SDC cinnamon bread!

BO_100_CinnamonRoll_10.png.0f60dfd897eed63c780780b574cafe45.png

Don't be surprised if everyone near your office starts asking what you just made

The first half of my busy stretch is done. I have stayed the same as I was 2 weeks ago at 244. I am perfectly fine with this until I Get back to a normal schedule.