TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

And as far as Cam's post game performance, maybe I just don't care but sometimes I think people look into that stuff way too much. No one remembers when Peyton Manning walked off the field and didn't shake hands with Drew Brees after Superbowl 44 but it happened. Newton walked out of an interview, Manning walked off the field, it happens, who cares.

Have to disagree with you there and side with Joey's post.

If you are a pro athlete, movie star, musician, whatever...you need to remain in control of your emotions when you face a demoralizing moment or colossal disappointment and step up to the plate and act like you can rise above it. No one says that you have to be happy about losing, but lose with grace and poise...don't act like a freaking crybaby.

I thought that this analysis from Adam Schein on NFL. Com was spot-on:

"Newton needed to face the music and handle "the fifth quarter" -- that's what comes with being a quarterback, a team leader, a face of the franchise. He can't be a front-runner, only wanting to be in front of the camera when things are rolling. This was a relapse in his maturation process.

Scott Norwood stayed at his l@cker and patiently answered every last question after his "Wide Right" moment in Super Bowl XXV. Monday on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports," Rich Gannon discussed how he did the same after his five-interception disaster during a 27-point loss in Super Bowl XXXVII.

It's called professionalism."

I have seen Brady and Belichick and yes, Manning trot off the field after big games and not shake hands. That type of poor sportsmanship is not good either, especially for kids that idolize these people...especially young kids that play sports.

It's too bad that more and more sports figures are not staying classy....they are instead going klassy.

Who knows maybe Cam will get paid to do a commercial for Carnival next season? It would only be fitting, wouldn't it??

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand what you are saying, and believe me I know my opinion is in the minority but sometimes to me these things just get over analyzed and slightly taken out of context. I mean your example from Adam Schein, some sports writer, I mean we live in this world now where there is 24 hour sports coverage on tv, the radio, the internet, social media, and people like him have to find things to talk about and create content and publish stories to feed that machine. His job is to talk and write about sports so he has to have an opinion and take a stance on every little situation like this. For a guy like him, who probably hasn't personally spent more than 2 minutes around Cam Newton and has no clue what kind of person or leader he really is, to say that one emotional reaction after an interview is a "relapse in his maturation" is just kind silly to me if you think about it in that context.

I'm sure Cam regrets losing his poise a little and reacting the way he did, and he will learn from it, he's still only 26 years old. He may not hold a press conference and issue an official apology statement or anything, but if he did would it really change people's opinions of him anyways? I don't really think it would. People are going to think what they want to think about you no matter what, and if his owner, coaches, teammates, and fans don't have a problem with him then why should I? I guess if that were the case then we would't have anything to argue about hahaha.

Again I know my opinion is in the minority here but that's just my two cents. Oh well, onto the off season and the official Peyton Manning rumor mill, those sports personalities gotta have something to talk about ya know.

^ I agree that the media can be as bad as some of the trolls posting comments at the end of a news article sometimes. Athletes are bound to get upset when the media keeps asking stupid question after stupid question, but they still need to do their best to take the high road and think to themselves, "Okay, only another ten minutes of this BS and then I can leave".

Our Buffalo News sports writer asked him a really silly question during media day about "whether the stereotype of black, scrambling QB's that can't throw from the pocket had been officially put to rest". Cam handled it okay to start and then when our reporter pressed it, he said "It isn't a problem for me, but it obviously must be for you." Needless to say, the reporter was really taking a beating on the Bills Forum here in WNY...as well he should have - he came across to national media (and to Cam) as a total tool!

As you mentioned, Cam's only 26 so that maturation should come in time...I certainly hope so as he does show a lot of promise.

• 6 months later...

Any preseason playoff predictions? Here are mine-

AFC

1. New England- Although Brady will be out for the first four games, I still think that the team is good enough to get the #1 seed, especially since the rest of the AFC is not very strong.

2. Pittsburgh- Yes Martavis Bryant is out and yes Le'Veon Bell will miss the first 4 games but I still think that this offense is simply too good for them not to make the playoffs. Their defense isn't the greatest though, which is why I'm giving them the 2nd seed rather than the 1st.

3. Oakland- This offseason turned the Raiders from a team downs towards the bottom of the barrel to a team that's favorited to win their division. Derek Carr and Latavius Murray looked very promising last year and Khalil Mack is probably the second best DE or OLB in the NFL, but their acquisitions of Kelechi Osmele, Bruce Irvin, Sean Smith and Reggie Nelson are whats really going to push them over the edge.

4. Indianapolis- Despite a bad season last year, many people are predicting the Colts to rebound to their former selves. I don't think that's gonna happen. I feel like all they have is Andrew Luck, T.Y. Hilton and Vontae Davis. They're going to be decent, but they'll definitely be benefiting from being in a weaker division.

5. Kansas City- The Chiefs were solid last year and they only really lost Sean Smith. With a healthy Jamaal Charles they should be able to return to the playoffs

6. Cincinnati- The Bengals were a surprise last year, but their loss of Reggie Nelson and some of their receivers will probably hurt them. Plus I kinda feel like their success last year was a fluke

Just Out: Jaguars, Jets, Ravens

NFC

1. Carolina- Yes they lost their defensive star Josh Norman, but their high powered offense will probably be enough to bring them atop of the NFC once again.

2. Green Bay- Last season Green Bay got pretty beat up but they were still able to make it to the second round. With a healthy Jordy Nelson and O-Line, I think that Green Bay will have enough to bring them to the #2 seed.

3. Arizona- The Cards were great last season, but you have to ask yourself if Carson Palmer's career year was a fluke or if age will get to him. However I do think that this is David Johnson's breakout year where he will prove himself to be one of the NFL's best rushers (can you guess who my starting RB is on my fantasy team?).

4. Dallas- Even without Tony Romo I think this Cowboys team will make it to the playoffs, especially with preseason stud Dak Prescott at QB. They got a great offense with the NFL's best O-Line and the amazing Dez Bryant plus they have some nice pieces on defense.

5. Minnesota- Last year they did great, and as a young team they're only getting better. I think the Vikings will narrowly lose out the #2 seed to the Packers.

6. Seahawks- I had them making it to the Superbowl last year, but Lynch's retirement is definitely going to impact them. I think they're still going to be a great team, but the best of the NFC is simply too good for them to get a higher seed.

Just Out: Redskins, Giants, Falcons

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet! It was amusing reading about how little everybody thought of my Broncos' chances last year, but again, Defense wins Championships, and that was one of the best ever!

It's funny that so many people are down on Denver this year... They lost a couple pieces of their defense, but also replaced them with some good players, and still figure to be among the league's best. They had terrible QB play all last year, and still won the Super Bowl. I really like what I've seen from Siemian so far, and it looks like he could be an even better QB than the Broncos had last year. I also think people are way overhyping the Raiders, and would be quite surprised if they finish ahead of the Broncos. If any AFC West team ends their reign atop the division, it'll be the Chiefs, and I could see the Chargers finishing last in the division.

As for predictions this year, I could be cliche, and go with the Patriots and Stealers (no, I didn't misspell that ), but I don't see either team going to the Super Bowl this year. Honestly, it's probably a stretch to say Denver will either. I really like the Cardinals to finally put it all together this year, even though Carolina is going to be even tougher this year, in my opinion. I'll go with Cardinals vs. Bengals (in a shocking turn of events). I like the Chiefs and Texans a lot too, but can't get behind either Alex Smith or Brock "not anywhere close to as good as he's getting paid" Osweiler getting those teams to the Super Bowl.

AFC

1. Bengals

2. Patriots

3. Texans

4. Chiefs

5. Broncos

6. Stealers

NFC

1. Cardinals

2. Panthers

3. Packers

4. Redskins

5. Seahawks (but a better record than Packers or Panthers)

6. Vikings

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out! I'm just glad that NFL season is here once again!

(BTW, anybody here think a TPR Fantasy Football league might be fun?)

^ I'd be down for a TPR Fantasy Football league.

Also, Bridgewater went down with an apparent non-contact leg injury at practice and was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. He collapsed on the ground and was grabbing onto his left knee unable to move. Prayers go out for him for a speedy recovery as no player should have to go through that.

In case you haven't heard Teddy Bridgewater tore his ACL today.

I could honestly care less about the Vikings but I still feel sorry for the guy. Teddy Bridgewater isn't the greatest QB nor is he poised to be, but he's a good person who works hard, does his job, and stays out of trouble.

Ditto what others have said about Teddy Bridgewater... While he may not be the best QB out there, he IS a great guy, and somebody I really like, so it's a bummer to see this happen to him...

Also, we've got two for a TPR Fantasy Football league! Anybody else? I'd probably want 10, minimum, to make it a decent league. Only 8 more people needed!

^Sweet! That's 3! Who else?

Also, do you guys have any site preference? I typically play in ESPN leagues, but can do Yahoo if need be. NFL, CBS, FOX, or Fleaflicker would be the other options, though I'm not as high on their interface...

^Sweet! That's 3! Who else?

Also, do you guys have any site preference? I typically play in ESPN leagues, but can do Yahoo if need be. NFL, CBS, FOX, or Fleaflicker would be the other options, though I'm not as high on their interface...

I will join another league, no preference, right now I am in leagues on Yahoo and ESPN.

^Probably not, but like the old show, I'd say "8 is Enough"!

Seriously though, we could do 6, but it'll be really, really, small, and WAY too many good players available, even after the Draft. If we have 6 or 8 people, we should definitely do something quirky, like 2 starting QBs, IDPs, or both!

Anybody else up for some fun TPR football? 3 more people, and I'll create the league!

^Ok, I'll go ahead and do that, and just leave the Draft up in the air until we can get three more people. We decided on ESPN, right? I'll go ahead and create the league now! Joining members, let me know ASAP if any Roster or Scoring settings should be changed, and we'll on coming to something we all agree on!

Yeah, I left it pretty basic, as it is right now. If anybody wants something different, we can discuss once people start really joining.

To that end, I have sent off a number of requests for e-mail addresses to those who expressed interest, so be sure to get back to me with those. Also, we need a couple more willing participants, to really make it worth doing as an 8 person league. So again, if anybody else at TPR is remotely interested, please let me know, and PM me your e-mail address!

^I saw it, and an invite was just sent!

Ok, so that's invites sent to all five of us who have spoken up. Still looking for three more people to join! Please let me know ASAP if you have any interest!

I have a son who is an enthusiast in training, more than likely a future TPR member, and who also happens to be quite the young Fantasy Football savant. Three years in a row as a Champion, in two different leagues, the last two years, back-back. He's interested in joining this league, if we're short a team, so we need to still fill 2 spots. If any of you have friends who are even occasional TPR posters, or at least roller coaster (or theme park) enthusiasts, let them know, and see if they're interested in playing.

I'm going to suggest we set the Draft for 9:00pm EST this upcoming Wednesday the 7th. It is the last day before the season kicks off with the Broncos/Panthers rematch. So, we should really plan for it that night, at the latest. Let me know if that sounds good to you!