TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

HYPOXIA -- Compact Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster [NL]

This is my first time posting a ride here on the TPR game thread. This thread didn't exist back when I was big into designing rides many years ago so my last posted rides were on Coastersims (now defunct). This is the first coaster I've actually completed as of late. My idea was to create a Spinning coaster which was taller and longer than any to date, but still fit it within a decently tiny footprint. I'm pretty happy with the results:

Track is hand built/hand smoothed. So far no tools have been used and I'm not sure that I will end up using any tools as the track is already pretty smooth. Support work is going to start soon and I have yet to figure out how I'm going to do scenery, but I need to make custom one sided stations due to clearance issues.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Edited by UnderCoverDrummer1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing two things....

A hose to wash down the platform after every dispatch return...and the puke trough at the exit for those who didn't protein spill on the platform.

(Beyond nauseating concept for a ride... I mean that)

Looks good, though. Looking forward to seeing you upload it to the Exchange when your finished.

I would agree it's a completely nauseating concept and I would never be able to ride it in real life. However there are definitely people who like this kind of ride and it's been fun designing it so far.

It doesn't spin as much as you would expect. It still spins a good amount and the ride is always a little different due to the NL engine varying the weight distribution in the car. It definitely is very compact though as my current support work is proving challenging to figure out how to sneak vertical tubes down through the mess of track.

Sometimes I feel like supporting a coaster this compact is a lot like solving a huge puzzle. There's usually only one way that really works and looks good. I thought it would take longer to figure out but I've supported the first helix:

A video will happen eventually, I'd rather make one after the ride is finished however if I get to the point of needing a break I may make a short highlights reel/tailer type of video.

Thanks for everyone's interest! I've been working hard and the supports are done. Here are a couple overview shots as well as the view of the last portion of the ride before the final brakes.

Is anyone good at 3D modeling and willing to help with making a station and other scenery? I'm going to be framing out everything with supports for importing into 3D modeling software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty cool looking spinner you've put together. Man it's been so long since I've even opened No Limits and I'm starting to miss it. I used to do 3D modeling, but I was a novice at best. My modeling skills were alright, but often plagued by scaling issues. I don't want to highjack your thread, so I'll keep the pictures in the attic where they belong. Btw, 3D can be compensated with awesome landscaping...

Some ideas based upon my problems with spinners:

"the NAUSEATOR"

"The VOMIT COMET"

"Barfapalooza"

"the Yack Master"

"Easy Queasy"

"Whirl and HURL"

(It's a beatuiful ride- no question, but spinners and I have had some serious issues in the past. Ask the bushes near Great America's Rajun Cajun if you don't belive me...)

R.D.

Some ideas based upon my problems with spinners:

"the NAUSEATOR"

"The VOMIT COMET"

"Barfapalooza"

"the Yack Master"

"Easy Queasy"

"Whirl and HURL"

(It's a beatuiful ride- no question, but spinners and I have had some serious issues in the past. Ask the bushes near Great America's Rajun Cajun if you don't belive me...)

R.D.

HAHAHA I'm right there with you. The one and only time I rode a spinner was Pandemonium at SFNE and I was paired with two kids opposite me who were half my size. I had to sit for half an hour afterwards. I am still intrigued with the style though and I wish desperately that I could ride them without getting sick.

I love your name ideas although I don't know that they'd be too pleasing to the GP.

*UPDATE*

I have tentatively named the coaster HYPOXIA and have make a car texture using that name: