TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A.J. the Engineer...Engineers Things

If the ride is designed right in the first place, you won't NEED an OTSR. Thus why Vekoma coasters nearly always have them... and Schwarzkopfs RARELY have them.

Imagine riding Maverick without OTSR's . If you weren't sitting in the proper position during those tight transitions, it could very easily hurt your neck.

It's probably not the best example, though, since part of the ride was actually designed improperly.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure a Schwarzkopf would be hell on your head. So it's not necessarily "properly designed". Doesn't mean it's stupid, it just means that it's not glass smooth. Which honestly makes them good for the nice "bite" they have combined with the more proper shaping at the time.

Also, Intamins are generally designed properly. But really, you can only get so tight with a lap bar. i305 can't have lap bars or you might have fat people flying out of them like the guy on Superman Ride of Steel in 2004 (not the recent incident). Also, the only other way you could have tight transitions like i305's w/lap bars would be to have a pipeline coaster or something where the heartline is zero. Otherwise, there will ALWAYS be rotational torque and G's that will be more or less unpreventable because the track has to bend to make the cars pass through the heartline, which causes lateral G's, combined with the rotation itself which is centered on the heartline and not the headline.

I mean, if you were sitting properly on i305 as it is now, you could probably get away with lap bars. Problem is, there will always be someone that might be leaned over or something like that, or in just some other position that wouldn't be within the OTSR's restriction range, and injuries would surely follow after tight transitions like that where the body is not properly positioned.

B&M's are properly designed and they have OTSR's, so it's really just a matter of various factors on whether you have them or not. Schwarzkopf didn't really have tight transitions, at least compared to today's standards, so they weren't critical. Fortunately, OTSR's aren't on many Schwarzkopfs. Otherwise, you'd get Revolution-style results, which I heard isn't good lol.

Fortunately, the design of my corresponding seat alleviates that problem.

Comfort is what most of the general public who purchases a car is concerned about the most. Phrases like, "the seats are comfy" or "it rides like a dream" come to mind, even if the car in question doesn't ride like a dream to someone who owns a luxury car like a Bentley or Rolls-Royce - or owns a lesser car than those but can still tell when a car's ride is stiff or choppy.

Likewise, guests should be able to be comfortable riding a roller coaster. While they're only in the seat of a roller coaster train for five minutes or less, the number-two priority is to make sure those guests are comfortable sitting in those seats. This is especially true for The Gravity Group, who have partially marketed their new "Timberliner" trains as being comfortable.

The name of the game is - Contours. Shaping a roller coaster seat to fit the natural curvature of the human body provides the most comfortable seat possible to riders - their spines are not flat against a board of metal, their captain's quarters' are not jammed in between two boards of metal, and they have adequate support through the twisties.

Combine this kind of seat with the over-the-shoulder restraint presented earlier...

newseat4.png.245656620eb4f996d57c46ea793eb0c4.png

newseat3.png.fa421bdc34bd85ead1f3e80f0e4b940d.png

newseat2.png.4c477d899bf81c0dcea89ce40a6d1b15.png

newseat1.png.8c0c8ebe7447b00e077ef5c9f8fbd9af.png

Remember that in reality there would be a safety belt connecting from the lap restraint to the seat.

Edited by A.J.