TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Coaster (PLC) Discussion Thread

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I know the game is called Planet Coaster, but there is a serious lack of flat rides in my opinion. More thrill rides and kiddie rides would be nice. Even RollerCoaster Tycoon World delivered on the flat rides, needless to say, so did RCT3.

Another thing on my mind is the underwhelming Spooky Theme dlc. I expected more animatronics, gags, and scares. Hopefully they can add more in due time.

Over all, there's something off about this game. I guess I was expecting RCT3 but with freedom of ride and shop angle placement and better paths. I really wish you could manipulate the terrain the way you could in RCT3 using the grid and lowering a select amount of grid squares to your desired height. That really came in handy to make underground dark rides in RCT3.

Another thing is customizing your avatar. I wish there were more options.

Of course, I'm not too thrilled about the dlc... I mean having to pay for themes that were included in RCT3 right off the bat is pretty strange, and as I mentioned with the Spooky Theme dlc, I wasn't impressed for the $12 I spent on it.

I know people will say "Oh well, go play RCT3 since you think it's better", but that's not the point. There are some things about Planet Coaster that could be improved, and I'm hope they will be improved some time soon.

Edited by Sheep-O-Matic

I know the game is called Planet Coaster, but there is a serious lack of flat rides in my opinion. More thrill rides and kiddie rides would be nice. Even RollerCoaster Tycoon World delivered on the flat rides, needless to say, so did RCT3.

Another thing on my mind is the underwhelming Spooky Theme dlc. I expected more animatronics, gags, and scares. Hopefully they can add more in due time.

Over all, there's something off about this game. I guess I was expecting RCT3 but with freedom of ride and shop angle placement and better paths. I really wish you could manipulate the terrain the way you could in RCT3 using the grid and lowering a select amount of grid squares to your desired height. That really came in handy to make underground dark rides in RCT3.

Another thing is customizing your avatar. I wish there were more options.

Of course, I'm not too thrilled about the dlc... I mean having to pay for themes that were included in RCT3 right off the bat is pretty strange, and as I mentioned with the Spooky Theme dlc, I wasn't impressed for the $12 I spent on it.

I know people will say "Oh well, go play RCT3 since you think it's better", but that's not the point. There are some things about Planet Coaster that could be improved, and I'm hope they will be improved some time soon.

I get where you're coming from. Planet Coaster is great, and it does almost everything better than RCT3, but there are still a few features in RCT3 that I just prefer. Sometimes I like having a strict grid to build off of rather than all free-for-all. I also think the gravity/physics is more accurate in RCT3. Or maybe my computer is just slow... lol

But like Canobie said, the development team is awesome, and it's nice to see them consistently add new stuff. A few things in particular I'd like to see are a Mack Mega Coaster and a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster, both with launch and lift capabilities. As for flats, S&S towers (that can actually connect at the top to make combo towers *ahem RCT3*) and Top Scans would be nice.

I'd especially love a custom height S&S tower since the only drop tower currently there is the massive gyro drop. I've had a few parks where I wanted to add a smaller, family friendly drop tower like a double shot but only have the monster drop tower there.

Yeah.

Another thing I noticed is that speakers will not sync up the music if you add the same song to another speaker. It will play the music from the beginning and it sounds a mess. Also if you add music to a ride, the music only plays when the ride is in motion, which is annoying when it comes to some rides... For example, I tried adding a long loop of merry-go-round music for my carousel, but it only plays when the carousel is in motion, then it stops when the ride comes to a halt... opposed to playing the music continuously like it did in RCT3. Hopefully they can give an option to have the music play continuously as well as an option to sync up speakers with other surrounding speakers if the speakers are playing the same music.

Yeah.

Another thing I noticed is that speakers will not sync up the music if you add the same song to another speaker. It will play the music from the beginning and it sounds a mess. Also if you add music to a ride, the music only plays when the ride is in motion, which is annoying when it comes to some rides... For example, I tried adding a long loop of merry-go-round music for my carousel, but it only plays when the carousel is in motion, then it stops when the ride comes to a halt... opposed to playing the music continuously like it did in RCT3. Hopefully they can give an option to have the music play continuously as well as an option to sync up speakers with other surrounding speakers if the speakers are playing the same music.

If you add one speaker and select the music you want it to play and then duplicate that speaker the music will be in sync

Yeah.

If you add one speaker and select the music you want it to play and then duplicate that speaker the music will be in sync

I will try that. I forget about the duplicate option at times.

I guess my problem is that I expect this game to function like RCT3 since it was made by the same developers. Over time I'm sure I'll get the hang of things... but as of right now, building seems complicated and that doesn't make it fun for me. I will watch more tutorials and stuff.

Wait, did someone just say they liked the grid from RCT3 and hate Planet Coaster for being more free moving? That's a first.

In all fairness it actually isn't too hard to build on the grid in Planet Coaster. The paths have a grid option. As well, when you start a building, it is lined up on the invisible grid of the map per say. In fact, buildings are still very much in the grid. The only thing I would like to see with that is the option to rotate walls without starting another building. (I'm talking in 45 degree angles and such.) I'm surprised people have in issue with the building system because it is the same as RCT3 for the most part. (The only thing different is you can adjust grid size as well as more height increments. Should mention default is the same as RCT3.)

In the end, many many people wanted off the grid and this game grants that. None the less you can still easily build on the grid if so desired. Heck, I'm re-building my RCT3 park in Planet Coaster and it is still on the grid.

Frontier made it clear that they wanted a different game then RCT3. While there are some throwbacks, the intention is to go a completely different path then RCT3.

Wait, did someone just say they liked the grid from RCT3 and hate Planet Coaster for being more free moving? That's a first.

In all fairness it actually isn't too hard to build on the grid in Planet Coaster. The paths have a grid option. As well, when you start a building, it is lined up on the invisible grid of the map per say. In fact, buildings are still very much in the grid. The only thing I would like to see with that is the option to rotate walls without starting another building. (I'm talking in 45 degree angles and such.) I'm surprised people have in issue with the building system because it is the same as RCT3 for the most part. (The only thing different is you can adjust grid size as well as more height increments. Should mention default is the same as RCT3.)

In the end, many many people wanted off the grid and this game grants that. None the less you can still easily build on the grid if so desired. Heck, I'm re-building my RCT3 park in Planet Coaster and it is still on the grid.

Frontier made it clear that they wanted a different game then RCT3. While there are some throwbacks, the intention is to go a completely different path then RCT3.

The reason I say I sometimes prefer the grid is because occasionally I like to know that something is exactly centered, or that a station is an exact height above the ground (RCT3 had “notches”), or that corners for buildings are exactly lined up (this is a big one). Like you said, Planet Coaster allows you to build on the grid if you desire, which I think is genius on their part since it appeals to both audiences, but when you’ve been playing RCT3 since the year it came out, it’s more difficult to adapt. I just don’t like eyeballing things. I like knowing precise locations, lengths, widths, radii, angles, etc.

^

Totally with you there. My OCD kicks in bad when I want to have something perfectly centered or lined up and the Gird in RCT3 assured everything was centered and straight. Also (for me) lowering the land using the grid tiles was ideal for building underground dark rides with precise space, then I would go nuts building the ride exterior above ground. I with Planet Coaster had a "strict grid" option or those who would like to play the game like RCT3, but I will try to adapt to the way Planet Coaster functions.

No doubt though, Planet Coaster definitely need for avatar customization options as well as many more flat rides and kiddie rides (only saying because RCT3 delivered on these things).

I know some people might be annoyed that I'm comparing Planet Coaster to RCT3, but I can't help it. It's the same dev team who made RCT3 (which is still a great game to me).

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up PC when it was on sale for like $11. I've got 38 hours invested in it so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I started by playing the career mode. The first couple levels are pretty easy and incredibly boring. But it was a good way to learn the basic controls and get just fool around with the game, and maybe that's the point of them. And I guess without the career mode, it would just be a sandbox game, and that's not fun for everyone. It's clearly not a park management game, but I'm glad they did include the park management aspects that they did. My next objective was coaster building, which is super fun, and it will continue to be fun for a long time.

Now, for the bulk of those 38 hours, I've been working on a semi sort of realistic sandbox park. I'm having a lot of trouble with constructing buildings. I really don't even care to build my own buildings. I'm happy to use the workshop, but I want to build basic Six Flags or Cedar Fair style coaster stations by myself. There's a million pieces and I don't see how they play together. My brain just doesn't work the way that it's set up. Maybe there's some controls I'm missing when you're building on something and the grid appears. Also the game's logic sometimes makes sense and sometimes makes 0 sense when it snaps pieces together.

edit: Random question. Can you select multiple objects and duplicate them like when you're in building mode for building stuff like fences? Putting fence pieces up one by one is super tedious!

• 2 months later...

28947216_714800208644112_235567534444981030_o.thumb.jpg.7a088f34f5cc06cade9398e928fb1a27.jpg

Studios Pack coming Tuesday, March 27th. Along with it is a free update with some other things as well.

The livestream announcing some details:

Studios Pack:

-Tower of Terror-type ride

-KUKA Arm simulator (Forbidden Journey)

-Hollywood backlot bus dark ride/ transport vehicle

-Stationary and animated pieces like breaking windows.

Free content update:

-Hotels! Real hotels!

There's going to be a post with details eventually.

28947445_715423108581822_576499727711635885_o.thumb.jpg.a270807864db1a60923cdffaf58525e4.jpg

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/31883-Studios-Pack-new-DLC-coming-soon!?p=226366#post226366

Dazzle your guests and leave them spellbound in an aura of movie magic with the all-new Planet Coaster Studios Pack! Working behind the scenes, put on a show like no other and they'll be talking about your "talkies" for decades to come! Lights... camera... ACTION!

On March 27, 2018 we are releasing the action-packed Studios Pack for you to get creative with; our newest paid content pack is specifically catered for those who want to bring that glitzy Hollywood glamour to their park. With new props, stunts, animatronics and special effects to boot, you'll be able to breathe new life into those park centerpieces. The content pack contains three new rides: the Big Screen Tour; electrically powered tour buses that can be used as a transport or tracked ride. Re-Motion; an electrically-powered tracked ride with an adjustable robotic arm holding the seats, four points of articulation allow the seats to be moved freely in all directions! And finally, the Horror Heights; scream in terror in this classic multi-drop tower!

Set the stage and thrill your guests with new static and animated building attachments, props, vehicles, character animatronics and placeable special effects. With impressive stuntmen & women, stunt fall boxes, stunt fall dumpsters and even breaking windows, you'll be able to use to put your guests right in the middle of the action.

And, don't forget about what goes on behind the stage: new wall set, construction props and metropolis wall tiles together with Planet Coaster’s existing themes will allow you to build those far-from-glamourous... but essential backlots.

In addition to the paid content, we are releasing a small free update to all players which includes: hotels; to keep your guests sticking around for longer; eagerly awaited path tunnelling, allowing you to place a path-shaped holes in terrain; as well as triggerable flexi-colour on objects; and triggerable time of day in the ride camera - night becomes day in a flash!

The Planet Coaster Studios Pack is completely optional for you to purchase – you can get it from Steam or the Frontier Store for £7.99 ($10.99, €10.99). Please note that you need to have the Planet Coaster base game in order to download and play this extra content.

Are you ready to be in movies, kid?!

They see people building backlots. I see myself recreating City 17.

Zombies and tanks and broken elevators, oh my! Studios Pack $11 DLC is out, and looks like Frontier really outdid themselves on this pack!

They don't have any vids out on Hotels yet, but this was pulled from the team's livestream where they showed off how it works. The hotel addition comes free to everybody who has the game:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on another update coming soon? Ever since getting my new PC about a month ago I've been playing Planet Coaster an extremely unhealthy amount, and there are so many more things I'd like to see in the game.

Tons more flats (off the top of my head are Top Scans, adjustable drop towers from both S&S and Intamin, an assortment of kiddie flats, adjustable star flyers, and more), a few more coaster types (I'd love to see Mack Megas, Gerstlauer Infinitys, and Schwarzkopf loopers). More large trees and scenery would be nice too.

Any news?

I've heard from one of the previous streams that they said they had always wanted variable height drop towers, but with how everything was designed it would have been impossible to pull off seamlessly.

As far as I've seen, there hasn't been much since the Studios Pack. They have been focusing a lot on the Jurassic World game lately.

• 3 weeks later...

New free 1.7 update coming soon:

Coming soon to Planet Coaster in a free update... Over 30 Camera Filters! Vending Machines! A Claw Machine! Colourable outfits for Staff! Grouping Scenery and more! Check out our VOD reveal here: http://bit.ly/2twxJqn

There's a tiny rumor floating of a paid DLC coming too, but don't hold your breath for it.

36188071_784969514960514_7321091451922677760_o.thumb.jpg.1de74abc2b5442de5626690ff47bbcc5.jpg

Colourable outfits for Staff

36228112_784969461627186_4635620733001662464_o.thumb.jpg.27e919a2878f40f144044a6b860baffc.jpg

A Claw Machine

36229092_784969574960508_1762293118125735936_o.thumb.jpg.4e48bf5a5a78f61bb45fcfe6408b285b.jpg

Over 30 Camera Filters

36294319_784969621627170_7711470340945215488_o.thumb.jpg.d84398885a3d4669480c98b4c7a2f1c4.jpg

Vending Machines