Cheap Orlando Trip

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Cheap Orlando Trip

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello guys!

Found a Spirit flight that would depart next Tuesday 9/18 out of Pittsburgh to arrive by 10 AM and return Saturday 9/22 around 5 PM. $80. I kinda know what I’m getting into with Spirit (just going to pack a backpack as my personal item, go with a random seat, and check-in online ahead of time). Found an inexpensive private room in an Airbnb for $125 (4 nights). It’s located in Tangelo Park about 1.5 miles from Fun Spot Orlando.

What I’d like to accomplish in order of importance: volunteer two days at GKTW, Sea World, both Fun Spots (after 8 PM for $30 each), Aquatica ($20 more to add on), I-Drive, and Disney Springs.

My tentative plan of attack looks like this.

Tuesday: Arrive at 10 AM, Uber or Lyft to GKTW and volunteer until 6 or 7, head to Fun Spot Kissimmee for a few hours.

Wednesday: Sea World until close at 6 and evening open to do I-Drive, Disney Springs or other.

Thursday: Aquatica until close at 5, evening is open do I-Drive, Disney Springs or other.

Friday: volunteer GKTW, Fun Spot Orlando in evening.

Saturday: Disney Springs/I-Drive before depart.

Some questions for you guys aside from tips on the itinerary.

1. Ticket options: $80 for SeaWorld, $100 for both, $140 for both with all-day dining. Given that the hours are limited, does the dining make sense? Ultimately it would be nice to get dinner out of the way but I wouldn’t be opposed to eating in Disney Springs one/both nights and just doing lunch at the parks.

2. Any deal I’m missing for the Fun Spot Parks aside from the $30 evening option? Seems like 4 hours would be enough time at each?

3. Any better alternative than to do pricey ride share all week? That’s going to add up but it seems nice that I’m close to Fun Spot Orlando and I-Drive at least.

4. Crowds would be low at both SeaWorld Parks? How does Aquatica stack up?

Any other advice or tips are much appreciated!

Site Admin

Re: Cheap Orlando Trip

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:Hello guys!

Found a Spirit flight that would depart next Tuesday 9/18 out of Pittsburgh to arrive by 10 AM and return Saturday 9/22 around 5 PM. $80. I kinda know what I’m getting into with Spirit (just going to pack a backpack as my personal item, go with a random seat, and check-in online ahead of time). Found an inexpensive private room in an Airbnb for $125 (4 nights). It’s located in Tangelo Park about 1.5 miles from Fun Spot Orlando.

Any other advice or tips are much appreciated!

I stayed with you through the Spirit Airlines part, but you lost me at staying in a private room in Tangelo Park! Please try to not get murdered.

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Uh oh. Okay, that’s why I’m posting here. I’m all for paying more to not be murdered, I’ll look into another place. Countless Airbnb’s/hotels to choose from! Seeing one near Rio Grande Park which looks a bit nicer.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm

^Yes, please try not to stay there.

1. Ticket options: $80 for SeaWorld, $100 for both, $140 for both with all-day dining. Given that the hours are limited, does the dining make sense? Ultimately it would be nice to get dinner out of the way but I wouldn’t be opposed to eating in Disney Springs one/both nights and just doing lunch at the parks.

2. Any deal I’m missing for the Fun Spot Parks aside from the $30 evening option? Seems like 4 hours would be enough time at each?

3. Any better alternative than to do pricey ride share all week? That’s going to add up but it seems nice that I’m close to Fun Spot Orlando and I-Drive at least.

4. Crowds would be low at both SeaWorld Parks? How does Aquatica stack up?

1. This is really up to you. Have you looked into options for one of the Sea World Busch Passes? As an enthusiast, they often pay (especially if you can buy one NOT in Orlando). If you want to eat meals at the parks then that dining would pay, but I don't think the food is anything special and for $40 you could get two decent meals on I-Drive or 1.5 at Disney Springs!

2. That sounds like a decent deal, Fun Spot doesn't always have great short term pricing so that's good and 4 hours is plenty of time.

3. Did you check on a rental car? Sometimes you can priceline one for quite cheap, especially this time of year. Did you look into any hotels that offer shuttles? I don't think that would be cheaper than a scary AirBnB plus uber, but it might be worth checking.

4. I can't imagine you will encounter crowds at all. It's been pretty dead here and those parks don't have Halloween events that early so you'll be fine.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:Countless Airbnb’s/hotels to choose from! Seeing one near Rio Grande Park which looks a bit nicer.

Near the jail. Seriously. Please just find something in the safe tourist area!! Other 'safe' non-tourist areas that would be close for you include: Williamsburg, Dr. Phillips, anything off Apopka Vineland Road, etc.

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm

^Alrighty, thanks for the neighborhoods! I’ll try to search it that way and see what I find!

Oh and I didn’t see your other responses right away, Elissa. I’ll probably forego the dining offer and eat elsewhere especially because of the hours. And I did consider the annual passes but I don’t think I’ll be back at either of these two parks in a years time or the other parks enough to justify the price. I’ll look into hotels, because it could help considerably with shuttles. I did find an Airbnb for a room in a townhome in Coral Cay Resort (seems pretty safe and popular) which might be ideal because of its proximity to GKTW. Would cut down on ride share cost considerably since I’ll be going there a few times.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MisterBrow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm

I have a friend that was renting her second room as a airbnb. I said the same thing to her.

I am looking forward to the trip report with a running $ tally.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Do you plan to do the SkyCoaster? If so, I'd consider a FunSpot Season Pass. I think I got mine for $70-80 last year and it paid for itself in one night. With the season pass you get to ride the SkyCoaster for $10 as opposed to the normal price. Plus you can give yourself multiple days if you choose and have it for any future trips.

For SeaWorld, I'd recommend the Dine with Shamu meal. It's around lunch time and you get an all you can eat and drink buffet. That includes all you can drink Busch beer and the buffet even has prime rib. Plus you get to have an interaction with Shamu's trainers and go into the stadium for a quick show after. I think it cost me $25 with my season pass last time.

If the weather is cooler than usual, Aquatica would be empty. I was able to hit anything I wanted back in November in an hour.

If I'm trying to be cheap and in Florida not for a work trip, I usually end up staying near Old Town in Kissimmee.

I can't recommend Spirit based on my experience (Flight delayed over 6 hours and I had to go to a different airport), but I completely understand how cheap they are. It can't be any worse than my trip!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 pm

I did the All Day Dining at Sea World two years ago, on a day I was spending 7 hours in the park before meeting up with my cousin. To me it was not worth the $35 as selection was limited to the weakest food in the park. I ate three meals but only really enjoyed one of them. The Mexican was sub par, the Chinese was weak, and the Nathans hot dogs were the best of my three meals. Although the desserts were good each time. I certainly ate over $35 in food but could have enjoyed myself spending $20 on 2 meals elsewhere. Or maybe $35 in desserts and pretzels would have been better. If you are not a picky eater or if you are a high volume eater it is a great deal because you only have to wait 60 minutes between meals
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 am

For cheap hotels check out Choicehotels.com, I know they have several properties in the I-Drive area that are probably withing walking distance of either SeaWorld or either of the FunSpot parks. They're not the nicest hotels in the world but I'm sure you can find a room for under like $60 a night that will be clean and in a safe area, should be fine for a budget trip.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!