The Ytterbium Analysis

Photo Trip Reports and More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Ytterbium Analysis

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 am

coneyislandchris wrote:Hey Andrew, been working my way backwards catching up on all your reports. Can't believe I missed this thread until now. This seems like an amazing trip overall, and I'm all the more impressed it's been broken up with awesome tourist destinations such as PNC Park and Fallingwater. Great writeups, great photos! Can't wait to read more.

I've never even made it out to Conneaut but man, it looks as if the park has clearly seen better days. I'd still love to visit someday if only to check out Blue Streak. Is that really a Toboggan waiting to be set up all the way back there?

Yeah, when I go to a new place, I always like to see the place and not just a theme park if I can.

Thanks, collective TPR intelligence on the Toboggan. It can rot, those rides are terrible.

coasterbill wrote:Great report! We hated Conneaut a few years ago and actually feared for our lives on Blue Streak but it looks like they're slowly but surely improving which is great to see.

Waldameer is great.

Thanks, yeah I do think Conneaut is on an upswing. Now, it is still in terrible shape; the paths are all torn up from roots, to the point where I stumbled a few times, and just about everything can use some paint. But, there is an optimistic vibe around that park that's infectious. I could tell they were really trying to do the best they could with what they have, and the guests there really seemed to be responding to that.

Waldameer is absolutely a better park, there's no question about it. Just the fact that they consistently add new things is testament to its success. I'll be back in this area for Steel Curtain at some point, and it just makes so much sense to do Waldameer and Cedar Point at the same time.

operative_me wrote:Cool report. I am ashamed to say that even though I live 15 minutes from the Hofbrauhaus here in Cleveland, I've never been. Of course, I have Das Schnitzel Haus, University Inn (not really German but ethnic-y enough) and Baloton to pick from as well.

Waldameer is an awesome park. I even enjoyed the water park quite a bit. There is enough to do there if you take your time to spend a day. And there's no such thing as too many rides on RF II.

I know Conneaut gets laughed at but I am rooting for this little park. If I hit Mega Millions tomorrow night, I'll probably buy it lol. Too bad the Tumble Bug wasn't running, its much more intense than the one at Kennywood.

coneyislandchris wrote:Is that really a Toboggan waiting to be set up all the way back there?

Nah, it was taken down a few years ago. No way that's going back up anywhere.

Agreed on all points, and thanks for the info about Toboggan. I actually was disappointed about Tumble Bug, but I got to do everything else, to it's fine. Good deal for $10.

Philrad71 wrote:Another great update, Andrew!

Count me in as another one that hopes that Conneaut can pull through.

While it's no Knoebels by any means, it's very unique and weird...so that alone means that it needs to survive.

I went to Waldameer one day a few weeks after Michael passed, just because I needed something fun.

I got a Wally Card and did RFII twice...once in the front and back. Both awesome rides, although I completely forgot to take my pedometer off of my belt and put it in my pocket - gone.

Stupid me, but RFII was still running unbelievable. So glad that they're taking good care of their royal gem.

That's great. Sorry you lost the pedometer, but yeah RF2 doesn't hold back. They were issuing strong warnings on their station spiel, things like "You WILL LOSE loose articles brought on this ride."

grsupercity wrote:Where was that wooden Waldameer sign located at? Me and my wife always try to take a pic in front of park signs and we walked around for close to 30 minutes trying to find that sign. We had seen it in other photos. I just assumed it was removed.

East of the ride wristband booth is a row of abandoned games booths. Go past that and down a gravel path for a while toward the lake. There will be one random hot dog stand for some reason, and just past that is that sign.

Because Conneaut Lake Park.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Awesome report! I love Waldameer. I agree Ravine Flyer II has a great view, but I think the reason the front is the best seat is because the ending doesn't really do much in the back. At least up front you still get some pops of air.

I need to check Conneaut out next year when I make it to Kennywood. One of my friends went on $5 day and encountered an hour wait for Blue Streak, but he too said it was running very well.

You should go! Just go on a $10 day, I've seen reports of those $5 crowds...ouch.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 am

Nice report! Waldameer looks awesome, RF2 is really high up on my bucket list and the entire park looks great as a whole. Seems to be one of those rare places that everyone seems to like no matter what.

Conneaut looks... like a park. They're getting there. :lol:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Dombot wrote:Nice report! Waldameer looks awesome, RF2 is really high up on my bucket list and the entire park looks great as a whole. Seems to be one of those rare places that everyone seems to like no matter what.

There's a lot to love. It's small, but what they have is all good. They take care of the place, and Presque Isle is just a beautiful area naturally.

Dombot wrote:Conneaut looks... like a park. They're getting there. :lol:

Lol, exactly.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!