The Ytterbium Analysis

Photo Trip Reports and More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Ytterbium Analysis

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 am

Surely is. This is from the age when wealthy men showed off their wealth by building elaborate public buildings. Carnegie did more than anyone to make Pittsburgh what it is, so he went all out on that library. Best of all, it's still a free public library! If you live in Pittsburgh and have a library card, you can totally check things out from it just like any other library.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:35 pm

My hometown is home to a Carnegie library
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 am

Day 8: Streakin' and Flyin'

All right, theme park fans, it's time to get back to some parks. I had fun in Pittsburgh, and it was a great way to break up a coaster trip with some more low-key, relaxing activities, but this is in fact a coaster trip and it was time to get back to the coasters.

I started my day with breakfast at the Eat 'n' Park near my hotel. It's really great and really cheap! After that, I got back on the Interstate and headed north to a couple of classic parks that have wildly differing quality. It was really interesting to see the stark difference. I get it, if you want to go the lake, why go to Conneaut Lake when you can go to Lake Erie just an hour away? Now that's a lake!

Conneaut was a lot of fun for what was there. It won't take you very long to get through it all; I only spent about an hour at the park, and that was with really taking my time. The rides are all classics, and are well taken care of, they're just old. I didn't have any safety concerns here, and there were a lot of families and grandparents with their grandkids, trying to pass on the tradition.

20180823_121450.jpg
The "Yeah, we know you're only here for one reason" sign

20180823_121519.jpg
Hmm...where do I get a wristband?

20180823_121843.jpg
This must be the place.

20180823_121855.jpg
OMG, these is the cheapest-looking wristband I've ever seen, like cheaper than the ones you get from bars saying you're an adult.

20180823_121913.jpg
Devil's Den is so cool. I think this was my favourite ride there. The ending is genuinely surprising and awesome. I won't spoil it, just get your A$$ to Conneaut Lake Park and bring a really positive attitude with you, and you'll love it.

20180823_122303.jpg
They had bumper cars.

20180823_122315.jpg
The carousel was really great. They have hand painted images of classic rides that used to be at this park.

20180823_123546.jpg
The only other uncovered Musik Express I've ever seen is at the fair.

20180823_123552.jpg
Blue Streak was awesome. I rode in the back, and there is a ton of air. It's maybe a bit rough, but nothing like its reputation. Not so rough that's it's not fun.

20180823_124736.jpg
Tumble Bug was down. Glad I got to ride Kennywood's.

20180823_124805.jpg
They have a small waterpark that appeared to be popular.

20180823_124818.jpg

20180823_124823.jpg
The train basically goes around Blue Streak. You get some good photo opportunities.

20180823_125224.jpg

20180823_125236.jpg

20180823_125240.jpg

20180823_125322.jpg
Wait, is that the Toboggan from Lakemont???

20180823_131216.jpg
In the back of the park they have this nice entrance fountain...

20180823_131226.jpg
...and these nice entrance ticket booths that are empty.

With that done, I headed on to Erie. Got a good recommendation for U Pick 6 Drafthouse for lunch. Awesome sandwiches. Waldameer was a fun afternoon. I got the combo wristband and since the waterpark closes early, that was my focus early on, but I made sure to get the essentials in first. I wasn't going to chance a breakdown happening while I was in a fairly standard lazy river.

20180823_141718.jpg
Waldameer's entrance is fairly utilitarian.

20180823_141852.jpg
They have a Skyride!

20180823_141918.jpg
Priorities.

Comet is a fun coaster. Not super intense, but a total classic and awesome from start to finish. Despite not being able to choose your seat, I got both a front and back row ride that day.

20180823_144959.jpg
Absolutely worth the trip for this.

Ravine Flyer II is of course the reason I was going to Waldameer. It's their premier ride there, and is incredible. The view of the lake is awesome, right up there with Millennium Force and Wildfire, and the rest of the ride is twisty and intense. Love it, and I rode it several times all over the train. Like most coasters with a great view, it's best in the front.

20180823_145049.jpg
Wacky Shack is a ridiculous dark ride that is so much fun.

The line moves slowly for it, but I love Wacky Shack. This is the sort of hilarious, weird, trippy dark ride I love. Kind of a mashup of the ones at Indiana Beach and Moreys. Super great; do not miss this while you're here.

20180823_145109.jpg
Pirate's Cove is a cool walkthrough maze. Loved this.

Pirate's Cove is another must-do attraction. It's a maze in the dark through some twisty passages, with some cool pirate stuff to see here and there. Seems like it's intended to be scary, but it's not very intense. Lots of kids were going through this over and over.

20180823_145128.jpg
I was the only one in line when I walked up to this, so I asked for the best view of the lake from the drop tower, and the attendant pointed me to the right seat. Beautiful, and the drop is unexpected and awesome like these towers always are.

With the essentials done, I headed across for splashy fun. The waterpark is really fun; the new slide, CannonBOWL, is great, as this type often are. Original plans for this trip were for it to be in June, but work schedule pushed it back. This water was freezing, and it was late August. I cannot imagine how awful the water temperature must be earlier in the summer.

Back in the ride side now, it was time to reride the two wooden coasters and get to the few other rides I hadn't done yet. I liked the Steel Dragon, pretty smooth and one of the better mice I've ridden. The Music Express had a really long ride cycle, forward and backward. The Disk'o was as great as they always are, and the train was long and relaxing and went all over both parks.

20180823_164225.jpg
Who's ready for SKYRIDE PHOTOS?!!!

20180823_165258.jpg

20180823_165308.jpg

20180823_165332.jpg

20180823_165333.jpg

20180823_165414.jpg

20180823_165520.jpg

20180823_165612.jpg

20180823_165921.jpg

20180823_170143.jpg

Waldameer is fantastic. It's small, and I was done in about four hours, even taking my time and doing everything that I wanted to. What is here is consistently good quality, and couple that with free admission and low wristband prices, along with a great lakeside location, and this park is a winner.

20180823_175021.jpg
The charm of this park is up to 11.

20180823_175753.jpg
Well, it won't be soon.... If you weren't so far away...but I'll probably be in this area again at some point.

On the way to Sandusky (spoilers!) I stopped in Cleveland for some more Hofbrauhaus! Yep, that's two in two days. I'm a fan of German food, and there are a lot of Germans in my ancestry. It was much, much bigger than the Pittsburgh location, and right in the heart of the theatre district. The previous day I had a hard time choosing between bierwurst and pierogis, so I knew what dinner would be tonight! They had a live polka band here, and it was just so much fun. Highly recommended.

20180823_203630.jpg
German goodness awaits.

20180823_203833.jpg
Look who else is here!

20180823_210129.jpg
They had some excellent pierogis.

Saving the best for last--always the way to do it--I drove into Sandusky for 2 days at the most fun peninsula on Earth.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Hey Andrew, been working my way backwards catching up on all your reports. Can't believe I missed this thread until now. This seems like an amazing trip overall, and I'm all the more impressed it's been broken up with awesome tourist destinations such as PNC Park and Fallingwater. Great writeups, great photos! Can't wait to read more.

I've never even made it out to Conneaut but man, it looks as if the park has clearly seen better days. I'd still love to visit someday if only to check out Blue Streak. Is that really a Toboggan waiting to be set up all the way back there?
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm

^ I think many people have childhood memories of that toboggan at Conneaut, right there in that exact spot, in that exact position for many many years. :roll:

Postby coasterbill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Great report! We hated Conneaut a few years ago and actually feared for our lives on Blue Streak but it looks like they're slowly but surely improving which is great to see.

Waldameer is great.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby operative_me » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Cool report. I am ashamed to say that even though I live 15 minutes from the Hofbrauhaus here in Cleveland, I've never been. Of course, I have Das Schnitzel Haus, University Inn (not really German but ethnic-y enough) and Baloton to pick from as well.

Waldameer is an awesome park. I even enjoyed the water park quite a bit. There is enough to do there if you take your time to spend a day. And there's no such thing as too many rides on RF II.

I know Conneaut gets laughed at but I am rooting for this little park. If I hit Mega Millions tomorrow night, I'll probably buy it lol. Too bad the Tumble Bug wasn't running, its much more intense than the one at Kennywood.

coneyislandchris wrote:Is that really a Toboggan waiting to be set up all the way back there?

Nah, it was taken down a few years ago. No way that's going back up anywhere.

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Another great update, Andrew!

Count me in as another one that hopes that Conneaut can pull through.

While it's no Knoebels by any means, it's very unique and weird...so that alone means that it needs to survive.

I went to Waldameer one day a few weeks after Michael passed, just because I needed something fun.

I got a Wally Card and did RFII twice...once in the front and back. Both awesome rides, although I completely forgot to take my pedometer off of my belt and put it in my pocket - gone.

Stupid me, but RFII was still running unbelievable. So glad that they're taking good care of their royal gem.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Where was that wooden Waldameer sign located at? Me and my wife always try to take a pic in front of park signs and we walked around for close to 30 minutes trying to find that sign. We had seen it in other photos. I just assumed it was removed.
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 am

Awesome report! I love Waldameer. I agree Ravine Flyer II has a great view, but I think the reason the front is the best seat is because the ending doesn't really do much in the back. At least up front you still get some pops of air.

I need to check Conneaut out next year when I make it to Kennywood. One of my friends went on $5 day and encountered an hour wait for Blue Streak, but he too said it was running very well.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!