The Ytterbium Analysis

Photo Trip Reports and More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Ytterbium Analysis

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I hadn't heard of Camp Washington, thanks! I will be back to Cincinnati, since it's pretty close to me, will check it out next time, and Jungle Jim's too.

Sheetz is so ridiculous. It's too bad there wasn't a Wawa out that far west, or I would have gone there instead, but Sheetz has some pretty good stuff too, at least for gas station food. Service is much better at Sheetz, imo.

I know which Primanti's you're talking about, that's very close to the Burgatory I went to that night. They're all over and sooo good.

As for the incline, I won't reveal anything, but you might just want to keep reading. ;)

Postby prozach626 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 pm

I'm glad you liked Pittsburgh. We also enjoyed it. We went the ultra touristy route and took our first segway tour. It ended up being a blast and we packed a lot in, in a few hours.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Oh nice, I've never actually done a Segway tour. I do like walking around a city though. Except North Philly. I do not care to walk around North Philly again.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Segway tours can be really fun! They're usually done in a very small group, which is easier
to manage around a city. We did it once in Paris and it was wild! We both loved the Segs....and no crashes. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 pm

I'll bet. I would love to get back to Paris...that'll be a while. It's a bit harder to get to Europe now than it was in college.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 pm

^Paris has been lovely to visit, in our 50s and 60s by the way.
You'll probably be able to get there in a shorter time period, than we did.

And Disney Paris (BOTH parks) will be a - may - ZING by then! :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Yeah, when I was there 10 years ago I didn't bother. Too many good museums and other cool stuff in the city to waste a day at Disneyland. Aaaand that's why they're fixing it up. Too many people doing exactly what I did.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 am

Great photos of the FLW house as well as downtown Pixburgh (local referral - lol), Andrew.

I still haven't made it to Graycliff near Buffalo, but it looks like it might pale in comparison to Fallingwater. Still a huge fan of his architecture, nonetheless and sure it would be spectacular.

And of course...Southern Tier for the win! =)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am

^ Yeah, thanks for letting me know about the one in Pittsburgh, was very good.

Wow, how time goes by. Yinz ready for the next installment?

Day 7: A Man, a Plan, a Library

No visit to Pittsburgh would be complete without a visit to the original Carnegie Library. Almost every town in America has one--in fact, Springfield calls theirs the Carnegie Branch Library--and it's all because of the profound philanthropic work of steel magnate Andrew Carnegie.

Today, the library is also a really great art museum and natural history museum, and is a really great all day destination. The natural history museum is in the wings of the main library building, while the art museum is (mostly) in an annex out back. I did the art museum first, and it's really great. There's a lot to see, from Renaissance to modern abstract and even film. They present it in a way that educates visitors about the importance of art. You're not just seeing a Monet, you're learning what made Monet great, and what he was saying to his world. The museum teaches you to think like an artist. Kudos to the curators for having that vision and executing on it so well.

The natural history museum is similarly spectacular, with several near-complete dinosaur skeletons, in-depth exhibits on Native American and Egyptian life, a huge display of rare gems, and one gigantic room full of columns, frescoes, and other architecture from the classical and Renaissance eras. The museum will take you all day, and it is very much worth it. Stop by next year when yinz come for Steel Curtain.

20180822_102601.jpg
Carnegie Museum was great.

20180822_143543.jpg
Oh this isn't an exhibit. This is the building.

After the museum, I made my way to the top of Mt. Washington. I first drove to the top, and I got a real taste of Pittsburgh. I went up a winding switchback road, and around one curve I saw another Jeep at the top (Did I mention I have a Jeep and drove that to Pittsburgh? I don't think I did, probably because it wasn't relevant until now). He rolled down his window and folded his mirror in, so I did the same, and he waved me up. It was a tight fit, but we made it! I appreciate my Jeep now more than ever.

The view from the top of the mountain is incredible. It costs $2 to park up there, and there are several lookout platforms for good photos. You can also get a return ticket on the incline railway, so that's what I did. It was so much fun! Super steep, elevatorish more than it is trainish, except that it's very much on rails. The only incline railway I had been on previously was Silver Dollar City's, so this was really cool. It's just part of Pittsburgh's public transit system, and I can see why. If I lived up there, I wouldn't want to drive that either. I didn't want to drive back down frankly, but I had to. Glad I got to experience the real Pittsburgh though. This was way better than experiencing the real Philadelphia.

20180822_154416.jpg
Great views of the city from up here.

20180822_154552.jpg

20180822_154755.jpg

20180822_155026.jpg

20180822_155250.jpg

20180822_155630.jpg

20180822_155759.jpg
Incline railway station.

20180822_162328.jpg
The view from the bottom.

The last thing for the day was the Hofbrauhaus over by Hot Metal Bridge. They had a fantastic dunkel and some really great bierwurst. I love this place so much. Best of all, to my surprise, I discovered it's a chain, and they have one in Cleveland...where I will be driving through tomorrow.... :br

20180822_165813.jpg
Good German eats and drinks? Yes please!

20180822_171002.jpg
Pretzels and mustard, as it should be.

20180822_173204.jpg
Having had this same meal in Germany, this is absolutely authentic.

That's it for Pittsburgh. Coming up next, the rest of Western PA, including Waldameer and Conneaut Lake Park!

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Yay...been waiting for you to pick this report back up, Andrew!

The incline is great and yeaaahhh...that drive up there was interesting.

If I get down there, I'd check out Carnegie...that lobby is gorgeous!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!